Hans Zimmer started on INTERSTELLAR

publicist

Just to shatter your dreams once more:

http://collider.com/hans-zimmer-interstellar/

“I wrote something…and I’m writing that. So, yes, we have started.” Hans Zimmer

It is not a Spielberg film so there was only a slim sliver of a chance that JW would have scored it.

I am sure Zimmer will come up with a brilliantly intellectual approach and solution to scoring this film, make grandiose statements about it and then it'll sound just like his every other recent score. That my friends, is the magic of Zimmer.

This is excellent news (although obviously expected). First real outer space sci fi of Zimmer if you don't count the ghastly series SPACE RANGERS.

Looking forward to it, as I do any new Zimmer these days.

It is not a Spielberg film so there was only a slim sliver of a chance that JW would have scored it.

I am sure Zimmer will come up with a brilliantly intellectual approach and solution to scoring this film, make grandiose statements about it and then it'll sound just like his every other recent score. That my friends, is the magic of Zimmer.

The film will be scored with silence, because there's no Zimmer music in space. That'd be too old-fashioned, been there done that.

The film will be scored with silence, because there's no Zimmer music in space. That'd be too old-fashioned, been there done that.

Ah Zimmer tries to plagiarize John Cage then. Hack! Philistine! The difference between 4:33 of silence and 2h 30 min. of silence is irrelevant. It is still a huge intellectual theft!

I think the general perception was that 2014 there would be a SS/JW collab to look forward to.

At this point, we got Nolan/Zimmer. It sends a message, somehow (though Hans is nearing 60, so his reign will be over in due time).

As for Thor's expected appraisal, i cannot even counter with BLECH cause i just don't care anymore. I'm sure there will be two or three tracks even on the seemingly dreadful MOS (the action stuff is really just shameful) that i will buy for my collection but this isn't intelligent film scoring telling a story but retro pop stuff with maybe a good riff here or there. As for good filmscoring, you need to look elsewhere.

This thread proves to me once again that there are probably only two Hans Zimmer fans in this forum -- me and Koray Savas. Or am I missing someone?

This thread proves to me once again that there are probably only two Hans Zimmer fans in this forum -- me and Koray Savas. Or am I missing someone?

So, Thor, let's say that you were the director and had the option today to pick either Williams, or Goldsmith, or Poledouris, or Bernard herrmann (if they were still alive), or Zimmer..

Your first choice would be Zimmer?

I know, it's a very hypothetical question, but I'm trying to understand a bit your way of thinking.

I never understood the concept of unconditionally loving everything just because one person (or 15, as in Zimmer's case) is responsible for it. That goes for Williams, Goldsmith et al., too.

I still agree with Goldenthal's comment that 80% of everything that comes out a given year is shit. It's worth for the 20% remaining.

I never understood the concept of unconditionally loving everything just because one person (or 15, as in Zimmer's case) is responsible for it. That goes for Williams, Goldsmith et al., too.

I completely completely agree!

But the prejudice (either negative, or positive towards a person), is always there in people.

Education tries to change that a bit. (meaning if you're educated on something, you can be more impartial - as can be - towards that something)

I tried recently to explain to some, that were so enthusiastic about a Williams concert piece I think (but otherwise don't listen to classical music), that if the exact same piece hadn't had the name Williams on it, but the name Zacharia Petrovich (just a random name), not only they wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but they wouldn't even care to listen to it!

I'm such a Jerry fanatic, I'll listen to Criminal Law and Mr Baseball all day long.

By the way, the General Discussion forum is turning into a defacto Zimmer board. Is he really that popular among the mainstream?

I'm such a Jerry fanatic, I'll listen to Criminal Law and Mr Baseball all day long.

That's not fanatism, that's torture. At least CRIMINAL LAW.

That's not fanatism, that's torture. At least CRIMINAL LAW.

Isn't self punishment a form of fanaticism?

So, Thor, let's say that you were the director and had the option today to pick either Williams, or Goldsmith, or Poledouris, or Bernard herrmann (if they were still alive), or Zimmer..

I know, it's a very hypothetical question, but I'm trying to understand a bit your way of thinking.

It would depend on the movie, wouldn't it?

It would depend on the movie, wouldn't it?

I'm talking about the specific movie, Interstellar.

Blech. I wish Nolan would work with other composers. Blech.

I can't imagine what the result would be if he had a composer like Goldenthal, or Korzeniowski, or even Danny Elfman (in a remote style from his Burton-fairytale one)!

Nolan is a bit overrated imho. He's a VERY good director and he surely brought a little more maturity to the Hollywood blockbuster formula (but that's because the formula became so retarded that taking away a layer of childishness seemed like a daring choice).

When it comes to the music of his films, he expressed very specific preferences. He doesn't want themes or melodies in his films. He looks much more for ambience and atmosphere. He doesn't want the music to become something too defined and characterized. That's it.

The sad thing is that most directors today are going for such approach (and when they don't, usually they prefer going for pre-existing tracks or even no score at all).

When it comes to the music of his films, he expressed very specific preferences. He doesn't want themes or melodies in his films. He looks much more for ambience and atmosphere. He doesn't want the music to become something too defined and characterized. That's it.

Oh yeah? he has said that in an interview?

I didn't know it..

Yes, it's a pity most directors go to that direction nowadays. It seems like they're afraid of music somehow in their film.

well, anyway, at least i have hundreds of old films to watch and enjoy the music! :)

Nolan + Don Davis = :) :) :) :)

Anyways Thor, I too some degree am a fan of Zimmer. But the last few years have been awful and largely uninspired entries in his career. He just bloats his experimental ideas to the media as if we should all bow in worship and then produces little more than an even more simplified regurgitation of his overused career Zimmerisms.

There was a time when the man used to spit out intelligent music or even fun scores, but this "new" Zimmer, while it may not be the case, just comes off as lazy. Everytime you get a little bit excited (like for Man of Steel), it ends up being the same dull garbage again....

Great, another soundtrack and maybe even film ruined...

Zimmer these days even with his army of ghost writers is a constant disappointment! How did he manage to write such fantastic scores like "The Lion King", "Prince of Egypt" or "Gladiator" is beyond me. Maybe because of better ghost writers.

How did he manage to write such fantastic scores like "The Lion King", "Prince of Egypt" or "Gladiator" is beyond me. Maybe because of better ghost writers.

it's a thing that's been bugging me a lot too.

I can't understand how the same man who wrote such masterpieces like the lion King, or The Thin Red line, writes these latest scores.

It seems very inconsistent, which I personally haven't seen in any other film composer's career.

eg. Even in the very early John Williams scores, you can see the seed of what's gonna follow..

in Zimmer's output, it seems like 2 totally different composers! at least to me..

Wow, I've been to forums where Zimmer is generally disliked (FSM, for example), but here it's pretty staggering.

I'm talking about the specific movie, Interstellar.

Well, again -- we don't really know what the film is going to be like. We can SPECULATE, of course, based on the subject matter and Nolan's previous style and output, but we'll never know for sure. I've never been a fan of speculation like that (or trying to think what the director himself thinks). I like to evaluate the finished artistic product in front of me.

That being said, it is pretty clear that Nolan has found his musical voice in Zimmer and whatever style and message he wants to convey in his latest films, he's found in Zimmer. I happen to think it's a marvelous collaboration, although the musical value on album is a bit hit and miss (I don't listen to the BATMAN scores much, even though I think they work wonderfully in the films -- but INCEPTION I adore both in the film and outside).

I hung out and got drunk with Nolan's previous composer, David Julyan, in Ghent last year. Cool, but somewhat eccentric guy. I didn't dear to ask what he thought about Nolan's work with Zimmer, though, drunk as we both were. :)

But I'm digressing......

All I can say is that if I were to make a Top 5 list of favourite composers of all time, Zimmer would come in fourth (after Williams, Elfman and Goldenthal).

Given Julyan's nondescript sound designs, the Zimmer stuff sure was a step up for Nolan.

I haven't heard anything of him except for the Descent.

It sounds a pretty good score to me!

INSOMNIA is a fine score, and probably Nolan's best film. Far more than just sound design.

haven't ever seen the film, nor listened to the soudntrack.

just listening to the closing credits.

yes, they are good too. They show musical depth! :)

Who cares?

There's nothing anyone can do about it. Nolan likes Zimmer.

Fortunately some of Nolan's films I like are good enough to overcome the lack of music.

I like Zimmer quite a bit.

I like Zimmer quite a bit.

Awesome. Let the three of us stand in the corner and put up a force field against the rest of the crowd! ;)

I don't dislike a recent shift in Zimmer's style. At least he doesn't try to write symphonic-like music and focuses on his own strengths (yes, there are some). Having said that, his ability to tell the story musically has diminished drastically. There are parts of The Dark Knight Rises music that actually hurt the film.

Why are there so many Zimmer threads on this board recently?

Karol