Hans Zimmer started on INTERSTELLAR

publicist

I think that has to do with the organ actually. Many recordings of orchestral pieces with an organ part have a certain "sheen" to the sound particularly at higher dynamics, which can seem a bit processed. I think it depends on the character of the organ and the space it's in, and how that blends with a loud orchestra. English organs in particular lend themselves to it. It's peculiar.

Check out this one featuring the monstrous organ and space of Liverpool Cathedral. It has the same thing going on, that is, if we're talking about the same thing.

Maybe, but i have that problem frequently with loud Zimmer. It seems all smeared up with artificial enhancements that often seem not 'related' to each other, as if different departments cooked up sections that then were laid on top of each other. If you listen on headphones, some of the stuff like parts of 'Coward' or the end of 'Detach' are deafening.

I finally saw this on Blu. I think Z. Hammer's music works just fine in this movie, like in most of the films he's scored. Minimalism rules. Of course totally unlistenable outside of the movie. Like in gravity it's more like a sound effect not music as I understand the music.

Well, I suppose that's what you get when you put together largely symphonic music with studio sensibilities.

I guess, but Elliot Goldenthal's (the true pioneer of this sort of approach) scores never really had that 'deafening sheen' to them. Neither do the scores of many other 'hybrid' composers.

The full score featurette that we saw a few minutes of back in November.

Shit, now I need to hear every individual session.

Sigh, it's down. How can I see it? Is in on the Blu-Ray release as bonus material?

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So he's finished writing the score now?

No, the score we heard in the film was part of the ongoing 9 hour demo.

12 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Did all the naysayers eat their words when the film came out and THE SCORE received UNIVERSAL ACCLAIM (.iirc IFMCA named it Best of the Year).?

Nah!!!###😡

In a world where Gustavo Santaolalla has two Oscars, "critical acclaim" doesn't mean shit. 

And why are you so unstable? 

• 1 month later...

So this is happening.

https://www.filmmusicreporter.com/2020/09/23/watertower-music-to-release-interstellar-expanded-edition-soundtrack-album/

Not sure why this is happening now of all times, but I dont dislike it.

15 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

So this is happening.

https://www.filmmusicreporter.com/2020/09/23/watertower-music-to-release-interstellar-expanded-edition-soundtrack-album/

Not sure why this is happening now of all times, but I dont dislike it.

Huh.  It's just the Illuminated Star Projection Edition, with "No Time For Caution" moved to a different spot, and "Day One Dark" added.  At least that wasn't available lossless anywhere before, but what a missed opportunity - all the other cues only on the FYC in lossy still eludes us, as does a distortion free version of "Quantifiable Connection"

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Cool!

And before anyone makes that question: Interstellar wasn't recorded in the United States, but rather in the UK.

This doesn't include anything that wasn't already commercially released anyway

There's only one version of "No Time For Caution", the one Hans wrote and recorded.

The film version is simply the music editors replacing parts of his intentions with music tracked in from other cues (mostly Mountains and Day One Dark, IIRC)

Ugh, seriously? There's me thinking I could buy a legit version of whatever "complete" version I have. What a monumentally wasted chance.

Well, it got me to look at Filmmusicreporter and find out that Don Davis' Space Odyssey has been released, so some good news :)

So, will this release contain some SIGNIFICANT cues that were NOT on the ost?

Thanks ( it's hard to tell from the spread

sheets)!

On 7/27/2020 at 9:51 PM, bruce marshall said:

My playlist:

INTERSTELLAR ost 16 track version

Tt:33:50

D

On 7/27/2020 at 9:51 PM, bruce marshall said:

Disc two

I only play half of the ost , so don't know if I need this.

57 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

So, will this release contain some SIGNIFICANT cues that were NOT on the ost?

Absolutely, the OST was a poor selection of highlights from everything Hans wrote

Highlights on this edition would be

6. No Time for Caution
9. Murph
10. Organ Variation
11. Tick-Tock
13. Day One Dark

There's nothing wrong with the OST album he put together, but he wrote a ton of music and elected to not put a lot of stuff that are pretty universally accepted as the highlights of what he wrote on it.

You'd like this new edition a lot; It's not anything like a specialty label expanded album - disc 1 remains the original OST program, and disc 2 is another "tone poem" style collection of suites and film cues that is not chronological in any sense of the word, and even features less music heard in the film than the OST album does

YT has the whole shebang up!

Going to check out those cues Jay mentioned.

If they're good , I'm up for an expansion.

Because it's not on a specialty label, it's pretty cheap to buy .

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

The OST is an excellent "tone poem" with just the perfect amount of music, and just the perfect build.

It has some clunkers amongst the gems.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

You'd like this new edition a lot; It's not anything like a specialty label expanded album - disc 1 remains the original OST program, and disc 2 is another "tone poem" style collection of suites and film cues that is not chronological in any sense of the word, and even features less music heard in the film than the OST album does

Sounds interesting. A bit like Vangelis' BLADE RUNNER 3CD set, then. I would certainly be interested in sampling it. But I think that, for a score of this type (with a minimalist vibe), 72 minutes is about the absolute maximum if I want to have that INTERSTELLAR experience. It needs that amount of time to slowly build, but I wouldn't want any more either.

THIN RED LINE had a wonderful ost.

But, even that stellar release left off some FANTASTIC cues e.g. the I instrumental versions of the Melanesian chants that were major character themes!

So, if this is like that score, I'm happy.

I didn't like the film ( unlike TRL) so haven't paid close attention to what is ' missing'.

25 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I am surprised you couldn't hear what was missing with how absolutely loud the music was in the movie.

I watched it on a top line home theater system.

It wasn't a film that grabbed me. I got into the music more from listening to the cd than hearing it in the movie.

15 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I got into the music more from listening to the cd than hearing it in the movie.

So did I, really.

But I absolutely adore the film. I think I've seen it some 6-7 times, most recently a couple of weeks ago.

This half-arsing it strategy is a slimy way to make a quick buck because idiots like me will buy it and so the cycle continues.

Oh, and I'm guessing it's streaming and vinyl only. Fuck this bullshit.

If they're going to release something digitally without the space constraints of physical media, why can't they put the .5% of effort in to arranging a complete score? 

You know what else pisses me off? The fact that films with scores I love have to be meticulously restored and transferred from tapes and crafted into a set. Inter-fucking-stellar is sitting in the RCP cloud just waiting to be dragged and dropped into an album.

YEARS of my life have passed and will pass and no proper release will be attempted. That's why I don't see this as a joke; it's stealing my time, your time and converting that into money.

Edit: apparently it will be coming to CD. Still, it's not enough!