London or Los Angeles for Star Wars VII score? [UPDATE: It's Los Angeles]

lostinspace

Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?

• John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • Another conductor will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra during their tour of the US
    • John Williams will conduct a Los Angeles based orchestra

• 2 weeks later...

OK. In the light of not having "official sources or announcements" I am going to go with a tentative :groupwave: .

Did I miss something? Is the user "InTheCity" a trustful source?

No hassle, just wondering why you guys are now euphoric.

If it's a mysterious new user with under 100 posts and no avatar, it sounds pretty legitimate.

Has has provided us with good intel on more than one occasion. More than all the Bothan spies combined.

Except, it will be alright, seeing CP has been Williams orchestrator for a while, and JW has not always conducted the scores he composed (Jurassic Park)

• 1 year later...

It is worth noting that the London Symphony Orchestra is performing in America at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles on March 24th 2015 and on March 30th at the Smith Centre in Las Vegas.

Despite the arguments over unions etc- this would appear to be perfect for using them to score the film

Maybe at the Skywalker ranch perhaps?

The way JJ Abr works -a rough edit is already there with a final running time-very much like Tin Tin-it could be that JW is recieving segments daily

We all lnow JW likes to see a completed print but by the time March comes he might well have scored 90% of it

Its not that its a brand new film-there are readily available elements-wipes and existing characters with tweaks and fanfares.

Its how new character themes meld in and the end credits bow the film out.

There is no way JW will have a full score ready 9 months before the release of the film.

Also, the LSO are in the USA for concerts. They aren't gonna conveniently squeeze in a few quick recording sessions.

I know many of us want the LSO to do this but you are just reaching.

If JW is unwilling to fly to London then the only real alternative is that Disney fly them in. This means that the studio, JJ, Kennedy etc will have to think that having the LSO perform the score is important enough to warrant such an extra expense.

The other viable alternative, the DoS/TBOTFA option of sending out another conductor is not something I find very likely to happen. With the exception of CoS and parts of JP John Williams has always conducted the scoring sessions himself. He's a professional conductor with decades of experience. Why would he relegate the task to someone else?

It's likely a first assembly is already done, hence Williams and Abrams may have already spotted the film. I guess Williams will spend the next 10-12 weeks writing the score, but I think recording won't happen before next summer.

Thank you Stefancos for being somewhat dismissive. Clearly you don't know the LSO like I do. They can come in - sight read a score without rehearsal and complete a film score within days not weeks- yes they are that good . I've been to Abbey Road here in London and watched them do it.

I am inclined towards Townerfan. If he has gone through a teaser JW has more than likely been exposed to a rough edit.

Yes the the LSO is in the states for concerts but playing at the Walt Disney concert hall might just be the time and place to announce that they will be on board to score the film with days or weeks of such an announcement.

I have the feeling its going to be a case of 'watch this space!

'to score the film within days'

And apologies about the Tintin typo previously

For each of the prequels, the initial spotting sessions occurred in mid-late October and the scores recorded in February. If indeed a spotting session occurred around the time of the teaser recording, which would make sense if a rough edit was done, a March recording would fit the timeframe of the prequels.

I would not be surprised if the score were to be recorded in March (particularly with the Spielberg movie in place for the late summer) and maybe some pickups done via Skype or such in the fall, but who knows.

Thank you Stefancos for being somewhat dismissive.

Completely dismissive, actually.

I'll tell you what. if it turns out that the LSO is recording the new Star Wars on that particular trip to the US, I will eat an omelet made from my own hair!

What will you do if it turns out they will in fact not be doing so?

I'll tell you what. if it turns out that the LSO is recording the new Star Wars on that particular trip to the US, I will eat an omelet made from my own hair!

Quoting this for future reference.

Make it your sig if you want. I feel perfectly secure!

I honestly don't give a flying fuck. As long as the music is good and the orchestra who performs it does a decent job...

This entire MB seems to be on the verge of obsessive behavior concerning the LSO!

Such incessant fawning over the LSO vexes me. If LA performers get the gig, where's the loss? LA musicians performed TOD, which is one of the richest, wildest, and most ambitious bombastic scores I've ever heard.

LA musicians performed TOD, which is one of the richest, wildest, and most ambitious bombastic scores I've ever heard.

:thumbup:

I'm pretty sure the score will be recorded in Los Angeles in September.

Star Wars

• Recording Sessions: March 5, 8-12, 15 & 16, 1977
  • Soundtrack Release: May 1977
  • Film Release: May 25, 1977

The Empire Strikes Back

• Recording Sessions: December 27–29, 1979 and January 7–10, 17 & 18, 1980
  • Soundtrack Release: May 1980
  • Film Release: May 21, 1980

Return of the Jedi

• Recording Sessions: January 17, 21, 22 & 31 and February 1, 3, 4 & 10, 1983
  • Soundtrack Release: May 1983
  • Film Release: May 25, 1983

The Phantom Menace

• Recording Sessions: February 5-6, 9-12 & 14-17, 1999
  • Soundtrack Release: May 4, 1999
  • Film Release: May 19, 1999

Attack of the Clones

• Recording Sessions: January 18–21, 23-24 & 26, 2002
  • Soundtrack Release: April 23, 2002
  • Film Release: May 16, 2002

Revenge of the Sith

• Recording Sessions: February 2–3, 7-9 & 12-13, 2005
  • Soundtrack Release: May 3, 2005
  • Film Release: May 19, 2005

The Force Awakens

(Possible Hollywood Bowl concert dates: August 29 & 30, 2015)

• Recording Sessions: September 7-20, 2015 in Los Angeles (speculation)
  • Soundtrack Release: December 1, 2015 (speculation)
  • Film Release: December 18, 2015 (confirmed)

It might make more sense to compare the recording dates for prior JJ Abrams films to their release dates than it does for prior Star Wars scores.

For this new Star Wars film the director, production studio, distribution studio, recording location, label releasing the OST - all will have nothing in common with the 6 prior Star Wars scores whatsoever.

So, I think the schedule is more likely to fall in line with something like Super 8 or the Star Trek reboots, or even John Carter, than the old Star Wars films.

Honestly, I don't think those aspects will make much of a difference in the recording dates.

And compare it with the Super 8, John Carter, or Star Trek productions? Really?

September 7-20, 2015 is my bet.

So you think the schedule that Georce Lucas used for Episodes 1-3 in 1999-2005 has more relevance than the schedule JJ Abrams used for his last 3 movies in 2008-2013?