Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I assumed it was a Shore cue recorded with the LPO along with the rest of the score.  Is there a reason to think otherwise?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

@Jim Ware or @Doug Adams can you answer?

I haven't seen a Shore-originated score or sketch for it.  String arrangements for the song itself were by Victoria Kelly (https://victoriakellymusic.com/) so it may be her work.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I believe that's a Pope-ism added to the film, and the album represents Shore's full composition

The album presents Beyond the Forest exactly as written.

Here's a random question. Why are both versions of each soundtrack for AUJ and BOTFA streaming on Spotify/Google Play while DOS is missing completely?

I mean, sure I own them all but at work it's easier to stream.

I know, isn't that terribly annoying?

I have to imagine the reason has something to do with Ed Sheeran :(

In the US, the AUJ OST & SE OST, and the BOFA OST & SE OST are on Spotify, but nothing for DOS at all.

As for the LOTR OSTs, we have  all 3, but the Return of the King OST doesn't let you play the track "The Return of the King".  But the ROTK CR is on Spotify in its entirety, so you can just swap in "The Fellowship Reunited" from that instead... but FOTR CR AND TTT CR aren't on Spotify at all.  it's all very strange.

It really is.  I don't know what could possibly keep "Fellowship Reunited" from being playable.  Crappy fan-uploaded Youtube audio is not a great substitute!

What do you mean?  "Fellowship Reunited" (from the ROTK CR) IS playable, and you can swap that into the ROTK OST in place of "The Return Of The King" (which isn't playable) as a subsitute.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

What do you mean?  "Fellowship Reunited" (from the ROTK CR) IS playable, and you can swap that into the ROTK OST in place of "The Return Of The King" (which isn't playable) as a subsitute.

That's what I meant. It's bizarre that the OST track isn't playable.

If they can make a single track unplayable, you'd think they could just make the Ed Sheeran song unplayable and have the rest of the DOS albums up.

I really don't know much about these legal things, but it can't be anything but a legal issue. My theory:

In that track, you have Galway and Fleming, who most likely receive royalties from that track, since they are really renowned musicians.

Maybe the OST and the CR count as two separate releases, and they would receive royalties from both. Now of course there are several tracks by them on there that are on both versions. However, the pieces with their performances that are on the OST are significantly expanded on the CR. So, even though that means double dipping, you can't leave it off from the CR because it beats the very concept of a CR. The Fellowship Reunited however is almost identical to the OST version, save for the short minute after the Wedding music. In fact, I think the journey back theme is even cut short on the CR. And the music that the soloists are embedded in isn't different at all. So my guess is they thought it was nonsense to pay royalties for both, if the content doesn't warrant it.

That doesn't explain the complete absence of FotR and TTT though.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Random find of the day: the main menu of this ononlineline game features the first 40 seconds or so of Wilderland unedited. Nothing to get excited about, but I thought this might be of interest to some people here....

Here is the untouched audio file: http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/6hy5g133pz/04_Menu_Music_1.ogg

As far as I can tell, the game as no other unreleased music to offer.

I believe you already mentioned this when it came out.

• 4 weeks later...

Count me in the AUJ for both camp. When I watch the film and listen to the score they still retain a sense of optimism, of what might have been.

Christ it's almost 4 years now. Scary. Seems like yesterday when I first heard the AUJ samples on that French site.