Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

As long as the Song/Piece is worked with by Shore, and the piece doesn't have all sorts of super-modern mixing techniques (Phasers, Bass Enhancement, Autotune etc.) I don't have any objections towards any artist

If Shore is involved it won't include those things.

All of the LOTR songs feature reverb effects, though in LOTR it is not a bad thing.

Reverbs applied to all voices isn't it? Not noticeably computerised sound.

I mean the Reverb like in Gollum's Song where it "phases" ("bounces") from the left to right channels:

"Face the end alone alone alone alone"

More Conrad Pope comments!

Scott ask...

Would love to see one of his sketches one day. Are they like JW's sketches? 7-8 lines short score?

Conrad Pope says...

I can't comment on anything I'm working on, Scott- I hope you understand, and what I'm about to write pertains in no way to my current work or the people I'm presently working with or for. It's merely a "rumination" about composers' "sketches" from someone who's work a long time, on many different films as an orchestrator. I'm often asked about JW's sketches, so here goes: JW's sketches AREN't sketches per se--- they are what the Germans refer to as a particell --- a short SCORE. The only composers who come close or equal that, whom I've worked for, are Jerry Goldsmith, Don Davis and William Ross-and, whose sketches I've seen: Bruce Broughton.

In addition to being composers, these gentleman are and were "students" of the craft as well as original, thoughtful orchestrators/arrangers in their own right-- besides being composers! Their kind of "sketch" has dynamics, articulations and is reasonably complete and "orchestrally" conceived--- properly notated durations for the choirs, for the tempi they've chosen, etc.etc., "conductorly savvy", etc. That said, most writers today provide an mp3 and a MIDI sequence---- and call themselves "John Williams" because, after all, isn't THAT the music, isn't it all there ( if you've heard the "sequence"? No, sadly.) A well written short score is a novel, a letter which--- through the individual use of notation - can reveal an artistic soul. That many don't appreciate the coordination of the hand, eye and ear is an ever increasing problem today-- because, frankly, these skills are less relevant in today's music production mill.

As one of my teachers replied to me when I said "Boy, writing music is hard", he said: "Writing music isn't hard, COMPOSING music is hard". I know my rambling this doesn't answer your question directly--- as I can't, but I hope it offer my view into-so called "sketching"--- which everyone does. No matter how you sketch, you always reveal the composer- and musician- you are. JW is "ne plus ultra".

Although we already knew that, it is always nice (I would say, almost moving :) ) to hear this kind of praise from someone who works so closely with JW. No wonder that also those other four composers are included in the "gentlemen" list.

I mean the Reverb like in Gollum's Song where it "phases" ("bounces") from the left to right channels:

That's not phasing. That's called ping-pong delay.

I'm sure Into The West was a commercial success or at least well know on after it's Oscar.

I don't think so.

As far as I can tell, the only film songs that were a commercial success are the song from The Bodyguard (something like I'll Protect You Until My Body Is A Rotten Corpse), My Heart Will Go On, Bryan Adam's Everything I Do and I See You (not even sure that one performed well). That is all.

Ever heard of Skyfall?

I never said it was.

I'm sure Into The West was a commercial success or at least well know on after it's Oscar.

I don't think so.

As far as I can tell, the only film songs that were a commercial success are the song from The Bodyguard (something like I'll Protect You Until My Body Is A Rotten Corpse), My Heart Will Go On, Bryan Adam's Everything I Do and I See You (not even sure that one performed well). That is all.

Did cinema start in 1991?

I never said it was.

Well, you said it 'phases' and you called it reverb.

Well, you said it 'phases' and you called it reverb.

Ever heard of a description?

It acts similar to a phaser (sending the sound back and forth through the Stereo Field), and its reverbial (its usually wetter, and contained in the rear channels in a 5.1/7.1 mix) so it may not be the correct terminology, but I described it based on things I do know (which is very little ;) )

Isn't that called panning?

As I said, it's ping pong delay: a combination of delay (echo) and autopanning (where you don't have to fiddle with any faders to pan). Autopanning is like the World Engine sound in MOS.

Well the book existed a long while, he probably new that there would be alot of LOTR themes returning at first etc.

I think DOS will end up being a better score now, but the years of anticipation building up to Shore returning to middle earth EASILY dwarfs the one year wait between these scores we're in right now.

Lovely photos! Thank you for sharing Alex Shore! :)

Obviously the harpists are dangerous. I have always known that. Deep inner frustrations. So there has to be that sign on their "cage" to warn people. In English and in Tengwar. ;)

It's nice to see the composer smiling. You can see he's having a great time working on this score.

Do not go there BB. Just don't.

It's nice to see the composer smiling. You can see he's having a great time working on this score.

He's just smirking about the simplistic music he has to conduct, nothing more! Don't be silly!

He's just smirking about the simplistic music he has to conduct, nothing more! Don't be silly!

Is that a tone of indignation I read into that comment Georg? Indignation on Shore's behalf?

Is that a tone of indignation I read into that comment Georg? Indignation on Shore's behalf?

It's a hint of sarcasm towards the earlier Pope Facebook comment.

with Steef playing David Hyde Pierce playing Conrad Pope!!! That's epic!!!

i mean grammer for Pope...

Hyde Pierce could be Stefan in one scene from the film where Williams signs Cds and LPs for fans.