Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

In all fairness, the complete releases of any kind rarely offer a stunning listening experience. They are fascinating to study, sure, but you rarely find time to listen to something for 2+ hours. I like both, depending on a mood.

Karol

One of the highlights in listening to the CR is the fact that it is in 5.1, whether you have time for all of it or not. There is no comparison to the stereo mix.

Hello! Don't know how I've missed this thread as I live and breathe Shore's Middle-earth music daily.

Do I have to scroll through this entire thread to find out what people are thinking about the score not being performed by the London Philharmonic? Everyone is completely freaking out about Shore not doing all of the orchestrating and conducting but why is no one discussing this? To me this is a much bigger issue. Especially considering that in every LOTR documentary out there he makes it a huge point to emphasize the London Philharmonic having the perfect Middle-earth sound.

I would say only time will tell if the NZSO will sound different to LPO performing this music (well of course they do as they are a different orchestra but is it too noticeable or to the detriment of the Middle Earth sound). LPO is Shore's favourite orchestra and longest orchestra collaboration no doubt and he does know them and their strengths and weaknesses very well but with him doing the orchestration (I am rather convinced Pope is just doing some assisting and conducting) and supervising the sessions I am quite confident that the sound of Middle Earth will be intact.

What might bother me more than any difference in ensemble is the difference in engineers - AUJ had a very close, over-produced kind of sound compared to the original scores. I want that more "archaic" sound that Shore talks about in Doug's book back.

+1

I'll once again point to the entire Moria sequence here. Many of the highlights from FotR are to be found there, played deftly by the NZSO. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

TBH I would never have been able to tell the difference but then I've not been listening to film music as long as you guys.

That Moria sequence is one of the highlights of the trilogy IMO.

I liked that I could actually hear the quiet parts, without having to crank up the volume, but it was a pity that it had to be compressed so much, the excessive bass was awful.

I second that sound issue, some more LotR resemblance would be nice.

Might be that Watford Hall and John Kurlander would help. ;)

I liked that I could actually hear the quiet parts, without having to crank up the volume, but it was a pity that it had to be compressed so much, the excessive bass was awful.

This is also quite true. The bass is noticeably stronger than in any of the three LotR scores, album or CR.

I second that sound issue, some more LotR resemblance would be nice.

Might be that Watford Hall and John Kurlander would help. ;)

Thats the point.

I love the acoustics of Watford Hall and the "ancient sound", like the music was found in a hidden chest...

Conrad Pope is back in Wellington for more Hobbit recording with the NZSO:

Preparing to return to Wellington, its Town Hall and the NZSO-- hopefully, home in time to share Halloween with the family and neighbors!

Preparing to return to Wellington, its Town Hall and the NZSO-- hopefully, home in time to share Halloween with the family and neighbors!

Ah classic PJ! Always more recording sessions! Let's hope he'll get home for Christmas or new year! :P

That was fast.

Now now, don't be silly, Conrad. You'll be home for Christmas Eve, rather. Next year. ;)

Karol

You realise of course that both statements, at least the first, no idea when he said the second, is true?

I think he said he writes for specific rooms though.

Really surprised we haven't heard who is doing the credits song yet. Are they just going to surprise us all and drop it in the album press release in a few weeks time?

Really surprised we haven't heard who is doing the credits song yet. Are they just going to surprise us all and drop it in the album press release in a few weeks time?

Oh they're going to surprise us alright!

Ya know, what with PJ being a Beatles fan AND a Bond fan, I would not be surprised if we got a Middle-earth movie with a song by Paul McCartney or something.

You know what I like about Howard Shore? No populist interviews about how using a special instrument is the most revolutionary idea since original coke.

Actually, you just get no interviews at all it seems. Shore seems to be observing strict radio silence since the premiere of AUJ.

Perhaps Shore composes his own end credit song performed by the soloists featured in the score!