Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

December has never been so close! In less than two months, we'll all have a physical copy of this!

aren't you supposed to be avoiding it like the plague until you've seen the film?

No way! I'll listen to it before seeing the film!

I'll listen to the score after seeing the film. I'd rather judge it in the film first, and react to it there, before getting used to the material on the album.

It worked well with AUJ - the movie lowered my expectations for the score, then when I heard the album I was pleasantly surprised. If I had gone into the movie being familiar with the album already, I would have been enraged!

Wait, what?

Which one? #3? it would make sense.

No, the first one. I thought it was a known fact.

SafeUnderHill, why don't you link to your source when you post quotes? This one sounds a bit out of context and I would love to read more. :)

Here's a nice quote from Conrad Pope.

Well, Emmanuel, that there is any music in this picture as thrilling as ROTK is for you, the composer and others to judge. My only hope is that justice has been done to the composer's vision and that the music we've made in Wellington doesn't disappoint him or the audience. Mine is a job ( as I often say) that one can only do "wrong"-- much like turning pages at a recital. Do it right and everybody says "But , of course---easy enough". Do it wrong, and you're an idiot. Hopefully, we all turned the pages properly. We'll see.

Also, he worked on Pirates of the Caribbean!

Now, with what he says here, can we see it as confirmed that Shore was not directly involved in the recording process in NZ? "Not involved" as in "not there in person".

After all, he says he hopes that the work THEY did in NZ will please the composer.

It all appears very fishy still ...

I wonder what crazy process TABA will be.

Wait, what?

Which one? #3? it would make sense.

No, the first one. I thought it was a known fact.

SafeUnderHill, why don't you link to your source when you post quotes? This one sounds a bit out of context and I would love to read more. :)

It was a reply on FB to someone who said something along the lines of "I hope this music is as awesome as RotK". It was a week or 2 ago I believe.

Here's a nice quote from Conrad Pope.

Well, Emmanuel, that there is any music in this picture as thrilling as ROTK is for you, the composer and others to judge. My only hope is that justice has been done to the composer's vision and that the music we've made in Wellington doesn't disappoint him or the audience. Mine is a job ( as I often say) that one can only do "wrong"-- much like turning pages at a recital. Do it right and everybody says "But , of course---easy enough". Do it wrong, and you're an idiot. Hopefully, we all turned the pages properly. We'll see.

Also, he worked on Pirates of the Caribbean!

Now, with what he says here, can we see it as confirmed that Shore was not directly involved in the recording process in NZ? "Not involved" as in "not there in person".

After all, he says he hopes that the work THEY did in NZ will please the composer.

It all appears very fishy still ...

I wonder what crazy process TABA will be.

wow.

I mean shore has not even listened to the music?

At this rate TABA will be themes by howard shore, music arranged (or adapted) and conducted by Conrad pope... :heartbreak:

Well, Emmanuel, that there is any music in this picture as thrilling as ROTK is for [...] the composer [...] to judge. My only hope is that justice has been done to the composer's vision and that the music we've made in Wellington doesn't disappoint him or the audience.

It all suggests Shore hasn't listened to the music yet! Oh my god!

Well, Emmanuel, that there is any music in this picture as thrilling as ROTK is for [...] the composer [...] to judge. My only hope is that justice has been done to the composer's vision and that the music we've made in Wellington doesn't disappoint him or the audience.

It all suggests Shore hasn't listened to the music yet! Oh my god!

No, it doesn't.

Karol

Awesome post Doug, thanks for stopping in.

I agree with everything you suggest.

Everyone, to Doug you listen!

This should certainly clear things up.

Going back to "material discussion", I wonder if DoS will be more of a Nordic sound, like TTT was more sprinkled with Nordic influences compared to FotR.

Thank you Doug once again! That made things much clearer and hopefully lessens the need for wild negative speculation.

Thanks Doug! Some "jokes" here get a bit carried away as you could tell. I was getting a bit ticked off myself by the whole "Shore never heard the music" thing. So thanks for the being the voice of reason, once again!

I think this thread really needs some solid updates to tame wild conspiracy theories!

Thanks Doug! Some "jokes" here get a bit carried away as you could tell. I was getting a bit ticked off myself by the whole "Shore never heard the music" thing. So thanks for the being the voice of reason, once again!

I think this thread really needs some solid updates to tame wild conspiracy theories!

Well we are all victims of the internet age's instant gratification syndrome to some degree. Perhaps we should just be content to wait for the news instead of clamoring them as if they were our birth right. :)

That too. I wasn't demanding them of course. Just pointing out that our impatience along with the lack of news are probably major reasons for the speculation on this thread.

If the press release for the CDs doesn't come out today, I suppose it won't be until at least Monday that it does....

That too. I wasn't demanding them of course. Just pointing out that our impatience along with the lack of news are probably major reasons for the speculation on this thread.

Indeed. I was not aiming this at you but rather all of us. In the end the root of the matter is our positive passion for this music that just ends up getting somewhat zany forms, due to the lack of concrete news.

From Amazon!

Editorial Reviews
The Soundtrack features original score by Academy Award winner Howard Shore.

The Special Edition of the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack to The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug contains music from the film with twelve extended score cues, bonus track, liner notes by Producer and Director Peter Jackson, extended liner notes by Doug Adams with interactive orchestral sketch signed by composer Howard Shore packaged in a 2 CD hardcover DigiBook.

One of today's most respected, honored, and active composers and music conductors, Howard Shore previously worked with director Peter Jackson on The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, which stands as his most towering achievement to date. He won three Academy Awards for his music for those films

Interactive orchestral sketch? Interesting...

Indeed. It will be interesting to see what that entails.

A good number of extended cues and a bonus piece on top of that. Very nice.

I have asked this a while ago but will this also mean that the regular OST tracks might again be a bit different in places than the SE ones?