Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

loop = UNRELEASED "Well Done, Master Baggins"
loop_boss = Wilderland, I think
loop_boss_old = same as loop_boss
loop_ring = sound effects?
lose = The High Fells
win = House of Durin theme (from Spell of Concealment, I think)
_/lose = same as lose
_/win = Thrice Welcome

FLIES AND SPIDERS

Out of this 7:07 cue, only 3:04 of it was used as intended, with the other 3:03 dialed out!

That amounts to 6:07. Where's the missing minute?

FLIES AND SPIDERS

3:11-4:29 (1:18) DIALED OUT, meant to cover Bilbo in ringworld killing spiders

I think the music here is slightly longer than that moment in the scene (maybe some shots were cut).

FLIES AND SPIDERS

Out of this 7:07 cue, only 3:04 of it was used as intended, with the other 3:03 dialed out!

That amounts to 6:07. Where's the missing minute?

Woops, I made a mistake in my post and then never went back and fixed it.

Should say: "Out of this 7:07 cue, only 2:53 was used as intended, with the other 4:14 dialed out!"

FLIES AND SPIDERS

3:11-4:29 (1:18) DIALED OUT, meant to cover Bilbo in ringworld killing spiders

I think the music here is slightly longer than that moment in the scene (maybe some shots were cut).

It's only 2 seconds longer.

I can only imagine PJ was thinking

'silencing the first part of Shelob the Great worked wonders for that scene in ROTK, so obviously silencing even more spider scenes will make it even better in DOS!"

The spider scene had plenty of music as far as I can remember.

Well, your memory is failing you. Shore wrote a 7 minute, continuous cue for it, and less than 3 minutes of the cue was used, in 6 different chunks no longer than 43 seconds each (some as short as 9 seconds)

Wrong, none of the music in that track is for the EE. As I've mentioned several times now, the 7 minute continuous piece of music lines up with the theatrical cut of the film. PJ just had the music editors turn down the volume knob for large portions of it.

Oh I'm getting confused. I was thinking of Mirkwood, which is where they meet to the spiders but is a different track. Since all that choral stuff is similar to the Dead Marshes of TTT, which makes sense since there's a deleted scene with someone falling into a river.

No, that's wrong too. Everything in "Mirkwood" also lines up with the current theatrical cut. I also said that earlier.

The only EE music I've found so far is House of Beorn, 2:09-4:12. I'd guess that scene was cut relatively late in the process, so it got scored because it was still part of the TC at the time of scoring.

Wrong, none of the music in that track is for the EE. As I've mentioned several times now, the 7 minute continuous piece of music lines up with the theatrical cut of the film. PJ just had the music editors turn down the volume knob for large portions of it.

But it's still mostly there?

No.... like I just said, less than 3 minutes of the 7:07 piece is still there, over 4 minutes was dialed out.

Oh I'm getting confused. I was thinking of Mirkwood, which is where they meet to the spiders but is a different track. Since all that choral stuff is similar to the Dead Marshes of TTT, which makes sense since there's a deleted scene with someone falling into a river.

No, that's wrong too. Everything in "Mirkwood" also lines up with the current theatrical cut. I also said that earlier.

Thank you for dispelling that, I had been under the impression that was what it might be for as well...

Which is actually good news, seeing how some of the DOS EE stuff could be important thematically (Thrain etc.), we could get new Shore music for the EE!

I gotta say, we are much more fortunate with Unreleased music then we were last year.

Oh yea, it's a completely different scenario. With AUJ we have 50+ minutes of music you could hear in the film that wasn't on either OST version. With DOS, there's a few small bibs and bobs here and there that weren't on the OST, but everything really important is there, and more. I mean, there is more music on the OST that isn't in the film, than there is music in the film that isn't on the OST. That's always fun.

Which is actually good news, seeing how some of the DOS EE stuff could be important thematically (Thrain etc.), we could get new Shore music for the EE!

I am confident that the DOS EE will have new Shore music.

Plus the Hobbit website has some ACTUAL Movie-based games, instead of what we had with AUJ (mostly make yourself a Dwarf, and strategy games with "original" music)

I'm waiting for your findings on the rest of the material Jason, but if they do add, say, 25 minutes back in for the EE, then they will surely have to get Shore to write new music for the EE. Especially given there's no music on the soundtrack for the Thrain flashbacks, the other Beorn bits, or probable Mirkwood additions, like Bombur falling into the river. Otherwise we could have a tracking disaster (unless there's a lot of unheard stuff they've already recorded).

I'm waiting for your findings on the rest of the material Jason, but if they do add, say, 25 minutes back in for the EE, then they will surely have to get Shore to write new music for the EE. Especially given there's no music on the soundtrack for the Thrain flashbacks, the other Beorn bits, or probable Mirkwood additions, like Bombur falling into the river. Otherwise we could have a tracking disaster (unless there's a lot of unheard stuff they've already recorded).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am confident the DOS EE will contain new Shore music :)

There is also unreleased music in the main menu of this game (I think that's an unreleased bit from the Bree prologue): http://barrelescape.thehobbit.com/, though I don't know how to get the music (it's a Unity3D game and I managed to download it but not extract the files in it with the software you're supposed to use)

LeBlanc, could you confirm this is indeed music from the Bree prologue?

Woah, I didn't even see this part of your post before! I'll check out that page as soon as I can (probably not until later tonight)

Well, it should at least be possible to record that music.

Obviously, but I'd rather extract the music from the game since it might contain more unreleased music (the in-game music is Barrels Out Of Bond, but maybe when you complete the game, some other music is used).

Hence the "at least"

but good point all the same.

"Dialed out" means that the music is muted. It doesn't mean anything about dialogue or sound effects, it refers to the music only. Picture someone holding a volume knob that affects only the music. Any music we talk about as "dialed out" is when they turned that knob all the way to the left and mute the music, and the music we refer to as "used" is them turning the knob back to the right. If we talk about music being "deleted", that usually means the sequence that went along with the music was removed from the film. Hope that clears things up for you.

As for the Mirkwood track, 1:18-4:44 covers a continuous chunk of movie, from Gandalf telling them not to take his horse, his conversation with Bilbo about finding his courage, Gandalf's Departure, the company's trek down the elven road, and them getting lost, fading out as Bilbo finds the webs. The music from 4:44-end of the track then lines up with what happens next - Bilbo flicking the webs, the hallucinations including his backward feet and vision of himself, ending when they stop and find Bofur's tobacco pouch. Just a few moments later, the first cue in "Flies and Spiders" starts.

So yea, the music on the OST track is for scenes still in the film, not the Bombur in the river EE sequence. Sorry!

There is also unreleased music in the main menu of this game (I think that's an unreleased bit from the Bree prologue): http://barrelescape.thehobbit.com/, though I don't know how to get the music (it's a Unity3D game and I managed to download it but not extract the files in it with the software you're supposed to use)

LeBlanc, could you confirm this is indeed music from the Bree prologue?

It is, it starts right after Thorin says "This is no chance meeting." I believe.

I compared it with the CAM audio, and it sounded like the same cue, though it was hard to tell with the "awful" audio quality.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od53T7sWQXA

I believe the first menu for the Dol Guldur part for Google Middle-earth has a longer version of the cue (No Chance-Meeting)

http://middle-earth.thehobbit.com/dol-guldur

OK, I have gone through basically the second act of the film now, and there is less out of chrono order on the OST as I thought in this part. I don't have time to post details now, but the chrono order of the OST up through "In The Shadow of the Mountain" is extremely straight forward. You only have to swap tracks 11 and 12 on disc 1, and split Durin's Folk at 2:24 and swap the pieces. In other words, the chrono order of the first 2/3 or so of the OST is:

Disc 1, tracks 1-10

Disc 1, track 12 The High Fells

Disc 1, track 11 Bard, a Man of Lake-town

Disc 1, track 13 The Nature of Evil

Disc 1, track 14 Protector of the Common Folk

Disc 2, track 1 Thrice Welcome

Disc 2, track 2 Girion, Lord of Dale

Disc 2, track 3 [2:44-end] (my title: Captured)

Disc 2, track 3 [0:00-2:44] (my title: We Are The Dwarves of Erebor)

Disc 2, track 4 In The Shadow of the Mountain

After this point, things start getting more complicated with tracks containing multiple cues that need to be split out and re-ordered in between cues inside other tracks. Hopefully I can post all that soon! (But in all likelihood it will not be until this weekend)

Interview with Conrad Pope (I think it starts 24 minutes in)

Wonderful interview. Conrad is one of the most no-nonsense, down-to-earth, honest professionals in the field. It's great to hear and understand "how it's done". It really sheds light on the real job of film scoring.

Okay, I noticed some unreleased music in a DOS documentary, so I ripped it, the audio quality has some artifacts, but its decent, could someone identify the music in this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9Qm5uSlF4NkdrZ2c/edit?usp=sharing

Interview with Conrad Pope (I think it starts 24 minutes in)

Wonderful interview. Conrad is one of the most no-nonsense, down-to-earth, honest professionals in the field. It's great to hear and understand "how it's done". It really sheds light on the real job of film scoring.

Fantastic interview! Really offers an in-depth insider's look into the film music scene. And its great to hear it from so seasoned a professional as Conrad Pope!

Okay, I noticed some unreleased music in a DOS documentary, so I ripped it, the audio quality has some artifacts, but its decent, could someone identify the music in this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9Qm5uSlF4NkdrZ2c/edit?usp=sharing

there is a lot of LOTR music in there too

I do recognize some parts as stuff from the Unreleased Forest River intro, and other comes straight from the first trailer

Just a little idea of how the music (in terms of themes/setpieces) could have sounded if Azanulbizar and Thrain were the prologue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9LTJVbm5tbWFJMHM/edit?usp=sharing