Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Well, checked the CD. Yes, he's credited. It's one of the themes from the score anyway. I really like the last piece on the album when you hear the orchestral version.

http://youtu.be/yX_4_LyNW9U

So, obviously he's not shying away from collaborating with teen idols.

Karol

Well, checked the CD. Yes, he's credited. It's one of the themes from the score anyway. I really like the last piece on the album when you hear the orchestral version.

http://youtu.be/yX_4_LyNW9U

So, obviously he's not shying away from collaborating with teen idols.

Karol

Thing is, that was for Twilight, where one might expect that. It's a little more odd for the film in question here. But... I liked all the LotR songs, I liked Neil's song, and I'll wager that I'll like this one too, whoever sings it.

They're clearly going for male voices this time and that will always be an odd choice for LOTR music fans. No matter who does it.

Karol

Where are operatic baritones, tenors and basses I ask? Huh? Where?!!!! I would accept those!

He might be a good fit for a Hobbit voice, if that's the idea.

Oh by the way, did anyone get a chance to check out Shore's Jimmy P. score that came out last month?

Karol

Oh by the way, did anyone get a chance to check out Shore's Jimmy P. score that came out last month?

Karol

Thinking the same thing, I've only heard a couple of previews. I tend to be apprehensive of less thematic music, which I hear Shore is known for outside of the Middle Earth films.

It's good. Intimate, somewhat brooding atmosphere that he usually deals in outside of Middle-Earth. Might not tickle your fancy if you're only in it for big themes.

Ok, I really can't stop listening to that song from Twilight....

So, we can expect some last minute orchestral arrangements of the song replacing Shore's themes for Beorn and Laketown, yes?

Calm down man! Why are people going nuts over some track titles by a dubious Frenchman?

I'm not purely into themes, but non-thematic music tends to require more listens to get into for me. Is it correct that Jimmy P was also not orchestrated soley by Shore (apprently Hugo is the same)?

As far as I know both were done by Shore alone. Hugo did have a second conductor though.

So, we can expect some last minute orchestral arrangements of the song replacing Shore's themes for Beorn and Laketown, yes?

Calm down man! Why are people going nuts over some track titles by a dubious Frenchman?

We're obviously getting desperate for information.

Karol

I purchased it 2 weeks ago. Heard some of the tracks. It's alright, some nice conservative material, but not a necessary addition to your collection.

And Shore + Metric is actually a great combination. Shore usually knows how to work well with mainstream artists.

I hope Shore had some input if Sheeran is doing the song. He hasn't got a bad voice but I'm not a fan of his music. I think he's done some rap as well...

I listed to his entire album on Spotify. Too poppy for my tastes. But that doesn't mean a middle earth song would be pop.

I can almost guarantee there won't be rapping on the middle earth song.

I think we all already knew that...

Oh I know there won't be rap. I was just stating that his repertoire doesn't give me much in the line of hope.

Doh! There wasn't any footage of the recording sessions. But the little snippets we heard of the new music sounds great! Especially the action stuff.

Yes. They played a cool choral rendition of the Woodland Realm music (the theme we heard in the AUJ Prologue) which was then taken over by the orchestra. There was what sounded like a new recording of the Edge of the Wild. Some Erebor theme statements (don't know if they were new or not). And there was some really cool new action material, which might be from the barrel scene. The last bit of new music was a menacing statement of The Threat of Dol Goldur.

They played a cool choral rendition of the Woodland Realm music (the theme we heard in the AUJ Prologue)

Timestamp from AUJ?