Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I am talking about the very very end of the Edge of the Wild, that leads into the Misty Mountains theme.

BTW, the youtube version comes out without any sounds, though there are artifacts due to the Youtube compression.

I would, given that that part was surely intended to score the company's journey up the Misty Mountains. I'd love to hear the 'Edge of the Wild' motif in the film, but I can't see it.

Come to think of it, what do we think the chances are of the following themes appearing on the DoS or TABA soundtracks (note that I'm not saying in the films)?

- Radagast (Original)

- Baggins part of Baggins/Took theme

- The theme heard at the end of Brass Buttons and in Out of the Frying Pan (did someone call it 'Thorin's Pride? I can't remember)

- Edge of the Wild

I don't see why the Bilbo theme would ever make an appearance again, since it was obviously a completely unused concept, and the decision was made to completely replace that theme with the Shire theme (making the shire theme Bilbo's leitmotif for the story). To introduce a "new" theme for Bilbo in the second film would make no sense.

Same goes for Radagast really. I think his motif will be limited to the four note Bbm6 rising arpeggio figure.

Well Doug kind of hinted that bilbo's and radagast's themes will get there time. But with what happened in AUJ, I honestly don't know. It seems PJ is promoting all new music so maybe he'll pick more new themes but I think the Thorin, Erebor and Misty Mountain themes still count as new and so may be used a lot.

At 1:31 it feels like it's going into the "Shadow over mirkwood" theme.

The choir?

I think the 'Courage of Hobbits' track will seal the deal with regard to the 'Baggins' theme. We know from the preview that this scene is apparently scored in part by the Shire theme, though this may have been a temp track (I'm speculating). Would be very interesting if the album presented something different.

Also, all the scenes that had the Bilbo theme removed had a reason for the change:

Bilbo talking to Gandalf: PJ thought it wiser to use the Shire theme, seeing how Gandalf was talking "Shire History"

Bilbo leaving Bag End: A scene was cut of Bilbo on his front door looking around, plus PJ wanted silence before he ran out the door

Bilbo and Elrond: again since he was talking about the comforts of home and such, the Shire theme was used.

Cannot think of any others right now...

Speaking of that bit of music, is the version on the Rarities Prologue track the film version or different?

The Rarities prologue doesn't include title music. The only title music available for FotR is the EE version on the CR. The theatrical version never was released officially.

Are you sure about that?

Yes.

I was never quite sure why the theatrical versions weren't included in any of the releases. The handful of theatrical alternates for FotR and TTT could have fit on the CRs easily.

Do we know which spider theme is being referred to?

As I said in one of my previous posts, the guy is probably referring to something from the track Radagast The Brown (since it's the only sequence in AUJ where the spiders appear). But which part exactly, I'm not sure.

It's the stop-start bit that is based around minor seconds and augmented fourths (AKA tritones).