Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Oooh these 90 second clips reveal even more goodness! Awesomeness should I say! :)

You disappoint me Incanus....I was waiting for your cue!

Cool!

Very cool! :)

Very very cool!

Anyone else hear shades of The Lion King in it? ;) It's wonderful!

Yes, in a couple of moments I had the same impression.

The music improves from time to time that new material is released and probably will prove to be even better than An Unexpected Journey (which I particularly love).

I have no doubt that it will surpass AUJ. Though a great score, as we all know it had the difficult task of easing from one story into another. I think this time, we're really returning to Middle-Earth, not just recapping where we've been with teases of what's to come.

I don't care, Sheeran's song will have driven me out already.

But on the Blu-ray/DVD we'll be able to mercifully fast-forward that and get to the (hopefully) good stuff!

The music that follows the Shire Theme on the title of the film, at 1:05, directly recalls the film version of Radagast the Brown: so probably, will be followed all the thematic changes that took place with the rewritings of different parts of the first soundtrack.

I'm sorry that in these previews we do not hear the Bilbo's theme and I sincerely hope that it has not been definitively cut off and replaced by Shire Theme in this and the next film.

The music that follows the Shire Theme on the title of the film, at 1:05, directly recalls the film version of Radagast the Brown: so probably, will be followed all the thematic changes that took place with the rewritings of different parts of the first soundtrack.

I'm sorry that in these previews we do not hear the Bilbo's theme and I sincerely hope that it has not been definitively cut off and replaced by Shire Theme in this and the next film.

No it doesn't - it's Bree music from FOTR!

That's not Radagast's music. That's from Bree in FotR.

I think it's been replaced by Bilbo's Adventure and we will be hearing much less of the Shire theme than the first one.

Huh? I've already heard 2 fragments of Bilbo's Theme in the samples.

I think Tauriel's theme is that oboe line that reminds me "Silence of the Lambs"... in The Forest River appears on epic form!!

And could 3:54 be a snippet of Tauriel's Theme? That kind of music just seems like the perfect stuff to play under all the Taurielisms.

I think Tauriel's theme is that oboe line that reminds me "Silence of the Lambs"... in The Forest River appears on epic form!!

And could 3:54 be a snippet of Tauriel's Theme? That kind of music just seems like the perfect stuff to play under all the Taurielisms.

Also, that melodic line appears at 42:45 in Beyond the Forest!!

Baggins/Took Theme.

Girion's Theme (Epic theme for Bard) VS Smaug Theme with all the oriental percussion. AMAZING!

Which part?

Girion's Theme (Epic theme for Bard) VS Smaug Theme with all the oriental percussion. AMAZING!

Which part?

This is good news. I hope you've not made a mistake.

37:00 - 37:29 Brilliant themes!

I have no doubt that it will surpass AUJ. Though a great score, as we all know it had the difficult task of easing from one story into another. I think this time, we're really returning to Middle-Earth, not just recapping where we've been with teases of what's to come.

I really love the music of An Unexpected Journey, the way in which Shore has tried to tell musically a story less epic and grandiose than The Lord of the Rings, but more smaller and gentle, that turns more on the adventure and on fantasy tones "less committed".

From this point of view, I find that his task is fully achieved and analyzing the original intentions of the composer (just look at Bilbo's theme, Radagast's Theme or theme originally designed for the journey of the company) is even more evident that Shore, while remaining in Middle-earth, the first thing he wanted is tell the story of The Hobbit, distancing and expanding if necessary from what he had done in the past.

I think it's a very clear and precise idea, and in this sense An Unexpected Journey is a great first step in this new adventure, step that will be even more clear when we will have the entire trilogy available.

No it doesn't - it's Bree music from FOTR!

Oh! Forgive me guys, I did not recognize it!

Can you tell me where to find it in FotR?

Better that way, then I still hope to still hear the original Radagast's theme in this score.
EDIT: ok, I found it in Strider!

That's not Radagast's music. That's from Bree in FotR.

I think it's been replaced by Bilbo's Adventure and we will be hearing much less of the Shire theme than the first one.

Huh? I've already heard 2 fragments of Bilbo's Theme in the samples.

I refer to the main part of the theme, the one found in Dreaming of Bag End, for example.

I don't hear Baggins/Took anywhere, but I do hear Bilbo's Adventure opening Barrels Out Of Bond (10 1/2 minutes in I think)

Listening to these samples again, it looks like I may have misheard it. Oops.

But I don't doubt we'll hear the Baggins/Took theme in the score. I honestly don't think it was taken out of the first film because Peter Jackson "hated" it. It's probably because he wanted more of the Shire theme in there, for nostalgia's sake.

However, it does look like they excised Radagast's Theme entirely...pity. And the company theme as well. I know, I know, its far too early to tell, so we'll have to wait and see.

These samples sound great by the way. Love the eerie stuff for Smaug (unlike anything we've heard in Middle-Earth so far). The Forest River sounds like the action track to beat this year. Erebor and Thorin's thematic material is getting some fantastic workout. The Woodland Realm might be one of my favourite themes in the new trilogy. It's versatility and range shows from all the menacing low winds statements to the choral stuff. But its second of course to the lovely Beyond the Forest. I wonder what that theme is for!

Another curiosity is what the motif from Kingsfoil that is reprised by the strings around the 35 minute mark. Is it played to that effect or was that added later after it was distorted or something? Sounded strange.

Which part?

This is good news. I hope you've not made a mistake.

37:00 - 37:29 Brilliant themes!

Ahh yes! That statement of Girion's Theme is beautiful. Perhaps it will become Bard's theme as well, which currently sounds a lot less heroic.

By the way, the more I listen to those last bits, it sounds more like the film is going to end on a cliffhanger note with Smaug exploding out of the Mountain and Laketown preparing for battle or something.

Another curiosity is what the motif from Kingsfoil that is reprised by the strings around the 35 minute mark. Is it played to that effect or was that added later after it was distorted or something? Sounded strange.

Doesn't sound distorted to me. Is that flautando?

I can't check the time stamp right now but I think you're talking about what I mentioned a few pages back. Something about the strings is fishy there. That's no flautando like any I've ever heard. Who knows.

It's none of those. We also mentioned the dizi, but like the shakuhachi, I doubt a wind instrument was responsible for that effect,

Not saying it was. Just as a reference for the moment I have in mind. It's right after the shakuhachi, or dizi, or whatever it is in fact, does an upward slide. The strings then get kind of... hazy, I don't know.

The Radagast and even Baggins/Took material I could understand, but I'd be stunned if the Misty Mountains theme was waylaid entirely after it's prominence in AUJ. I guess it's something Doug could answer on his blog.

Doesn't sound distorted to me. Is that flautando?

Are we sure it isn't con sord sul pont?

To me it sounds like the strings are being manipulated with a band-pass filter from the console (lo-pass + hi-pass).

Whatever it it is, it's something Doug could really enlighten us on once the NDAs pass.

Interesting tweet from Doug:

Doug Adams @DougAdamsMusic 5h

Thanks! More to come..I think. “@CruisingCathy: Just saw you on the Hobbit: AUJ EE BluRay talking about the songs of The Hobbit, very cool.”

If he is thinking correctly, I guess this means we may well get proper music docs on the next EEs, since there are no songs it seems in DoS, unless they add a number for the EE.

Is that a sound effect later in that cue?

Just want to know for sure. It starts at 35.24

I think it fits!

I've had that sound before. It might actually be a Japanese instrument, since I first heard it in Shogun: Total War :D But my ignorance of musical instruments does not stretch to being able to identify it (if it is one)

Yes that's definitely it.

I recall mention of the didgeridoo being used in this score. If true, will that be part of the Smaug repertoire or used for something else?

So I guess one of the surprises from returning themes Doug mentioned will be in the first track is the Bree material. It was rather exciting to hear the music again, something I recognised but had never thought of as the Bree theme.

It seems after the film choices for AUJ there will be more literal statements of LOTR themes (but since there is so much new in DOS it may not matter). Bree sounds similar to what I remember in LOTR, just a tad different possibly due to the new orchestra.

With recurring musical moments from previous films like that snippet of Bree music you can't be quite sure if it constitutes a theme or is it just some repurposed material for nostalgia's sake, a musical nod to the old locale the audience might or might not notice. Perhaps it becomes similarly semi-thematic as Gandalf's firework music is now after it was referred to in AUJ a couple of times. :)

Well I can't really say too much since I haven't heard it in full, but the 90 seconds samples we've heard suggest that many may dispute the reviewer's thoughts on the first disc.

Also, it's important to note that this reviewer has not heard the extended score, and a fair few tracks on that first disc are among those with additional material.