Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Performance, recording and orchestration wise I really can't tell a huge amount of difference between this score and the previous four.

It's Howard Shore in Tolkien's world trough and through.

I don't know but i hear something different.

I think it's the performance (not better nor worse, just feels different), but i can't point it out clearly.

Performance, recording and orchestration wise I really can't tell a huge amount of difference between this score and the previous four.

It's Howard Shore in Tolkien's world trough and through.

I don't know but i hear something different.

I think it's the performance (not better nor worse, just feels different), but i can't point it out clearly.

It's probably just the orchestra. You're probably just used to the LPO when it comes to Middle-Earth.

Is there a lot of spectacular music towards to the end of the score to look forwards to?

The last half hour is bloody brilliant.

Yeah, all the statements of Smaug's theme is really amazing in the last part of the score.

The dirge- like choir statements of Smaug's theme at the end of "My Armour Is Iron", with the short interlude of Thorin's theme, are spine-tingling.

Seems to me that there's some Misty Mountain's theme in The Forest River.

I don't have a time stamp though.

Starts at 3:29.

That's Thorins theme.

Yes it's what I initially thought was the Misty Mountains theme but I corrected myself later in the thread.

That's Thorins theme.

WHY ARE THEY SO CLOSELY RELATED IN STRUCTURE?

Lazy bum Shore.

TheOneRing.net ‏@theoneringnet 1m
Its press screening day and all I can think about is a great, big, vile, magnificent, tremendous, talkative dragon. - @MrLDC

Wait, so the press see the film before the premier?

TheOneRing.net ‏@theoneringnet 1m

Its press screening day and all I can think about is a great, big, vile, magnificent, tremendous, talkative dragon. - @MrLDC

Wait, so the press see the film before the premier?

Of course. That's what a press screening is.

I didn't know they happened beforehand! I thought you had the premier and then all that stuff happened.

Why would the Press have a special screening AFTER the general public has already seen it?

On 11/30/2013 at 5:38 PM, SafeUnderHill said:
On 11/30/2013 at 5:04 PM, Jason LeBlanc said:

Shore didn't write the Misty Mountains theme...

He used it in his score though and must have written some themes to fit alongside it.

On 11/30/2013 at 5:10 PM, BloodBoal said:

The song was written more than a year before the film's release, so clearly, it was written first.

Will we be getting a BB review thread for DOS when you listen to the score?

Most likely, yes.

On 11/30/2013 at 6:38 PM, SafeUnderHill said:
On 11/30/2013 at 6:36 PM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I didn't know they happened beforehand! I thought you had the premier and then all that stuff happened.

My thoughts too. I thought the premiere is well the first public showing. Will we be hearing any feedback by tomorrow then?!

No review, at least. There's an embargo on the press after the screening, which means they don't have the rights to release a review right after having seen the film. They can only release it a few days before the official public release.

Even though generally, someone always manages to share a few thoughts on the Internet after having seen the film.

That's Thorins theme.

WHY ARE THEY SO CLOSELY RELATED IN STRUCTURE?

Well, they aren't.

AUJ is more a fantasy score, DOS is less that, and more grim. The comparison to the tonal shift between FotR and TTT is actually not that far off. With the difference that DoS still feels more, well, intimate that LotR. A lot of character themes.

What's the theme heard from 0:42 to 0:52 in The Forest River?

I was wondering about this as well. Sounds too specific to be random heroic material.

AUJ is more a fantasy score, DOS is less that, and more grim. The comparison to the tonal shift between FotR and TTT is actually not that far off. With the difference that DoS still feels more, well, intimate that LotR. A lot of character themes.

Shore tended to define places and actions in LOTR, it's characters this time it seems.

OK I'm after my third full listen. It's among the best of 2013, clearly. It's interesting how little old material gets carried over from the old trilogy, it's almost all The Hobbit stuff. And it's all for the best. That's what I wanted in the first place - an expansion of Middle Earth.

What is Arwen theme doing in this score, by the way? That bit when she first appears in FOTR and then at the end of ROTK.

Karol

What is Arwen theme doing in this score, by the way? That bit when she first appears in FOTR and then at the end of ROTK.

Karol

I would assume its become a "Grace of the Elves/Elven Women" theme

Karol

I would assume its become a "Grace of the Elves/Elven Women" theme

It's the elvish pledge that is quoted, not her theme itself, no?

I was wondering about this as well. Sounds too specific to be random heroic material.

I just remembered where I'd heard it before.

@ 0:25-35

Huh? That's not the same ...?

Huh? That's not the same ...?

It's the same exchange between two chords - Bbm to C. Only major difference is that one is in 3/4 and the other's in 4/4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKSiMhKaRRQ&feature=youtube_gdata

That doesn't sound remotely similar.