Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I'm just now listening to the score on real speakers rather than just headphones. Wonderful! The Forest River is even more spectacular than before; the overall recording quality is spot on for my taste. And Tauriel/Kili's theme is growing on me quite rapidly. Gorgeous. I suspect it'll be twisted into quite the heartbreaker next year.

About the recording, the reverb is nice, but the high brass sounds a bit funky to me, ESPECIALLY for the Necromancer's reveal.

I don't know, but when it goes into the bit that originally (in the ROTK scene) scored the Witch-King's fell beast splitting Frodo and Sam's ears with its screaching sounds kind of campy with the way the high's sound... IMHO

I just noticed that too. That's the bit where they showed Conrad pushing the dynamics to the limit in the production diary, right? It sounds like it's just the slightest bit distorted from such a high volume in the room.

Which may very well be what they wanted.

That's scored for six piccolos, tenor guitar, and serpent, right?

Here is what I would have submitted as an end title song:

e8og2g.jpg

But, once again, you need to be drunk to be able to (A) sing it and (B) enjoy it! :mrgreen:

Regardless of what Doug or anyone else reckons, I consider there to be about 2-3 actual "themes" in this new score. And even that's pushing it.

So you're just discounting recurring ideas because you don't think they're memorable (or not long enough)?

Yes. Everything you are alluding to here, all the pieces - they are motifs.

I wonder, has anyone actually listened to AUJ-DOS as "prelude"/"overture" scores to LOTR instead of sequel scores?

I can't even remember Beorn's "theme".

I dunno, what are your guys theme eligibility rules? See I've grown up with movie music whose themes were whistleable in the car on the way home. They weren't really weak sauce motifs which required intense cue repeat listens before their hook settled in, know what I mean?

I'm sure I read someone posting someone very similar to this in some other middle earth thread. It's a fair point, but the meaning of theme is clearly beginning to change.

Not while John Williams or even James Horner live.

That's scored for six piccolos, tenor guitar, and serpent, right?

Also, did you combine Smaug's A theme and Tauriel's A theme? It's delightfully bad. Impressive.

I was indeed thinking of the serpent. But also baritone (obviously), somebody needs to sings it. Still doesn't have enough woodblock, though.

And I am laughing my butt off about this (I am very easily amused, often by myself). But hey, it's all firmly established thematic material! And even the lyrics come straight from the book! How much more authentic could it be?! ROTFLMAO

I wonder, has anyone actually listened to AUJ-DOS as "prelude"/"overture" scores to LOTR instead of sequel scores?

Yes. It doesn't work well with there still being a gap.

This song is now the "best bad" it can possibly be. Managed to cram "Dark Places of the World" into bar 1, shadowing the opening bar of Smaug's Theme (it could also substitute as a chromatically altered "Realm of Gondor [in Erebor?]"), followed by a harmonically odd and melodically deformed Fellowship Theme. And at GK and Faleel's request, BWAAAH farts and AYAYAYs lyrics have been added for the Threat of Mordor line.

2r2420z.jpg

I see alcohol is available in Canada, too ;)

And, btw, if you really can't spot Beorn's theme, not even once amongst the gazillion times it plays on the OST, and with Doug's booklet, I'm afraid you're not suitable for spotting themes at all. Does it really have to be Remote Control level stupidly obvious?

Well....someone's had a little too much to drink.

Set the piece to a 5/4 rhythm, have a part for Smaug's theme to go up in retrogrades against Smaug's main theme (this should be a duet for Baritones), have the Mordor Descending thirds being chanted by throat singers, and have the opening two bars reference the hymn setting of the Shire without ever stating the actual melody. THEN, I will be satisfied :)

Add a low brass fart on the downbeat of every bar. To please the kids, you know. Countertenor is so old-fashioned.

Easy. Isn't that what the downbeat in the Threat of Mordor is for? (I've made this the final addition to my sketch.) Also: Should I be expecting angry eMails from various people?

1zczcqe.jpg

I see alcohol is available in Canada, too ;)

And, btw, if you really can't spot Beorn's theme, not even once amongst the gazillion times it plays on the OST, and with Doug's booklet, I'm afraid you're not suitable for spotting themes at all. Does it really have to be Remote Control level stupidly obvious?

Nah, it's just not that strong a "theme" in the movie you ignorant blurt. I'm sure once I acquire the score I'll begin to discern the details, but I'm afraid during the movie itself Beorn's motif left no indelible mark whatsoever. Suck it up fanboy. Your insufferably overprotective fondling of these scores has become intolerable.

And no, I do not sit there "spotting themes" like you do. I realise that due to your being a bum all day, sorry, healing people all day, you probably have bags of spare time to revel in that sort of geekish practice, but it's not something I'll be bothering with. Hope you understand.

OK Lee and Georg! Control yourself and behave! There is no reason to start another word scuffle here.

Beorn's Theme is not exactly the most hummable piece of music Shore has ever composed. Hopefully we can all agree on that, especially when compared to the hummable heights featured in the trilogy (Rohan, Shire etc.). In the film it is quite subtle and indeed gets lost in the texture and action of the scene very seamlessly. Only a scarce few might leave the theater remembering it.

And even at the risk of Stefan finding it patronizing I have to point out the obvious thing, that we do listen to these scores in different ways and at varying depths at different points in our lives and appreciate very different qualities in them. And at the moment Quint is going purely on his feeling and impressions of the music based on the viewing of the film and in that context whereas many others have listened to the score in purely musical form countless times by now and also seen the film so inevitably there are going to be wildly varying opinions and observations on the music based on that alone.

Shore has done a terrific job at translating Tolkien's characters, cultures and world into a musical form but he is not entirely infallible. Not all of the themes are the epitome of memorability but rather very functional and atmospheric. But time and time again he does achieve beautiful narrative clarity, which very clearly communicates the story to you in musical form. One good example that springs to mind is the melancholic beauty of Bilbo gazing over the treetops of Mirkwood and seeing the dark hued moths and the far away the Lonely Mountain. The music captures both the longing and odd beauty of this scene but also the hope of seeing the end of the quest seemingly only a few miles away and Shore communicates this brilliantly with his leitmotivic writing. The same goes the Halls of the Elvenking that the composer quite brilliantly sets to music or crafts the memorable jaunty rustic pomp of Lake-Town. You can by merely glancing at the track titles easily find the narrative thread and follow it solely by listening to the score. It is not quite on John Williams level (in my opinion) but the music is indelibly part of this storytelling and through 5 films Shore has built such a vocabulary that most devoted fans understand his dramatic pacing, themes and orchestrations so well that it creates a specific musical language that we have come to comprehend.

P.S. Kühni your end credits song is hotter than Smaug on a sunny day taking a bath in Orodruin! Sheeran's song got nothing on you man!