"Elegy" from Lincoln rearranged for chamber music festival!

Thor

A friend of mine who lives Risør, Norway just contacted me through facebook. He had discovered a note in the programme of this year's Risør Chamber Music Festival:

John Williams is one of Hollywood´s most prolific and successful film composers of all time and has written some of the most well known film scores in cinematic history. This work for strings and two trumpets are written for Steven Spielberg´s film ´Lincoln´, which premiered this spring. When we approached Williams for the permission to use this score for the festival, he was so thrilled that he immediately offered to rearrange the score and let us use it free of all fees.

That's so cool! Hopefully, NRK -- our state channel -- will record the concert.

From: http://www.kammermusikkfest.no/risor/event.aspx?nodeid=5260&langid=2

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful news! :) He is such a classy man and so generous with his work and time. I really hope this will be recorded, especially since it is a new arrangement by the Maestro himself plus it is one of my favourite pieces on the album.

The concert is tonight. Guess we'll have to wait untill tomorrow, and then I'll check back with my friend.

My friend tried to record the piece with his phone (since he couldn't see any official instance recording it) and will send me the piece later -- hopefully. Then we'll see how different it is. According to him, it's 3:30 long, which means that Williams has added an extra minute to it.

It isn't clear in the English translation above, but in the original Norwegian text, it's clear that Williams has actually added to and rearranged the piece when he heard that they were performing it.

Heard it now. It was pretty similar to the original recording, but at a slower tempo. I need to compare them more thoroughly to find the 'added' elements that were supposed to be there.