Matrix Reloaded 2CD Complete Score coming from La-la Land!

Jay

Just announced by Dan Goldwasser at the International Film Music Festival (Festival Internacional De Musica De Cine) currently taking place in Cordoba!!

Here is some more info from an FSM member who I'd assume is there:

over 150 min. of music. Junto reactor tracks remastered by LLL.

Matrix Reloaded release on 2013. Exact release dates TBD. ..

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=97144&forumID=1&archive=0

Update from the FSM thread:

Why would you release Reloaded and not Revolutions to complete it? Makes no sense. Unless Reloaded sells bad, which it won't.
Thats exactly what Dan's words about Revolutions suggested ...
Reloaded is limited to 3000 units .

EDIT: MV just posted in the thread, correcting the unit numbers, and essentially confirming Revolutions is in the works as well:

Nope. 3500 units
Dan's wording suggested that Revolutions was coming too? Excellent!
It's also the films 10th Anniversary as well, so you never know. :)

The Matrix Reloaded 2-CD set? OH FUCK YA! It seems more or less that Revolutions has been confirmed too? If so great for that too! About damn time those two get a complete release. At least LLL will get those done right, unlike Varese with The Matrix *glares at Varese*.

Reloaded is great with a lot of great unreleased moments. The Revolutions album is pretty lengthy and covers all the highlights I could remember.

Reloaded is great with a lot of great unreleased moments. The Revolutions album is pretty lengthy and covers all the highlights I could remember.

The OST for Revolutions does have good highlights but it's missing a big chunk of the action music from when the machines invade Zion.

Which soundtrack actually holds up at 100 minutes? Both MATRIX follow-up scores have great moments and may only suffer by association with the ill-conceived movies.

The Matrix scores may not offer an exactly smooth listening experience, but are fascinating to analyze from the technical/thematic point of view.

Karol

I'm hoping at the least we get the proper mixes for "Double Trouble" in Reloaded and "Neodammerung" in Revolutions, as well as the film-inserted versions. Definitely worth a buy!

I just love the score for the entire highway chase sequence, it's all awesome

I was put off of these scores for a while (stupidly) due to the films they were attached to but I listened to several parts of the first one and it was nice. A bit cold, maybe, but I liked it.

These and LOTR stand at the top of action scoring in the last 15 years, yes.

Having a look at it, it seems in the 150 minutes apparently billed we'll be getting the music presented on the original leak plus what will likely be a whole host of alternates too. I'll definitely aim to buy this one!

There are probably quite a few that surpass the 100 minutes and are still interesting all the way through.

Let's face it, 99% don't. And certainly not the stuff written after the early 80's (i draw the line at WILLOW). I may be inclined to include Goldenthal's BATMAN scores but they are rather repetitive, too.

Hell, FIRST KNIGHT and THE MUMMY don't hold up well over 60 minutes. OK, i include LOTR although i find long stretches hard to sit through.

The release for The Matrix is not complete right?

I mean that deluxe edition or something, don't remember exactly how it was called..

No, it's not. It misses a few cues and cuts a couple down, IIRC.

I mean that deluxe edition or something, don't remember exactly how it was called..

No, it's not. It misses a few cues and cuts a couple down, IIRC.

So, shouldn't they start from that one with a complete 2 cd?

Varese Sarabande still holds the rights. Their Deluxe albums is OOP but the original 30-minute one is still in print, I think.

Karol

The Matrix OST released at the time of the film's release by Varese was only 30 minutes long.

Then in 2008 they released a "Deluxe Edition", but it was only a 1CD release that did not contain the complete score, instead of the 2CD Complete Score set many fans were hoping for. It didn't just not contain every cue; Some of the cues included were the cut down album versions still, and there was even a cue missing on the Deluxe Edition that had been on the OST. All these reasons is likely why it took 5 years to sell out.

So, shouldn't they start from that one with a complete 2 cd?

Varese owns the rights to The Matrix in perpetuity, ie, forever. No other label can release the score to The Matrix except Varese, unless Varese were willing to sell the rights off. However to this day, Varese has not once ever let another label release anything from any of the scores they have perpetuity rights to.

I just love the score for the entire highway chase sequence, it's all awesome

That's "Dante / Mona Lisa Overdrive" and I too love that whole sequence. I am sure and hope that the LLL version for that cue isn't the OST version since that has a micro-edit and a noticeable one at that...

Do LLL generally separate their cues, or do they present them as they should be heard in the film (IE they'd join Dante and Mona Lisa Overdrive)? It'd be nice to not have to use the demo version of Mona Lisa Overdrive to cleanly open the cue.

Decisions like that aren't label-specific, they are album producer specific. Also, those kinds of decisions matter if the composer is involved or not. We know Davis was involved with Varese's Deluxe Edition for the first Matrix, so he likely would be involved in this release to. As for whether he likes to join cues together or leave them separated, I don't know.

Wow! Great news about Reloaded. I'm a big fan of all the Matrix scores. When I saw that the Reloaded score was getting a 2-CD expansion. I had to get away from my computer and walk around to keep my composure, b/c my anticipation for this score is overwhelming. Then add Revolutions getting an expansion in the near future is also very exciting b/c that was my favorite score from 2003. Looking forward to getting both.

I know, right?

Time flies.

I guess re-use fees get cheaper after 10 years, which gives me hope for an expanded Incredibles and Terminal in 2014, Ratatouille and Spider-man 3 in 2017, Indiana Jones 4 in 2018, Tintin, War Horse, and Mission Impossible 4 in 2021, and Lincoln and John Carter in 2022.

Decisions like that aren't label-specific, they are album producer specific. Also, those kinds of decisions matter if the composer is involved or not. We know Davis was involved with Varese's Deluxe Edition for the first Matrix, so he likely would be involved in this release to. As for whether he likes to join cues together or leave them separated, I don't know.

I'd imagine "Dante / Mona Lisa Overdrive" would be left joined like in the film and on the album. As I said I just hope the micro-edit isn't carried over from the album...

I don't understand why anybody would possibly want to listen to those 2 cues separated. They were meant to be heard together.

I don't understand why anybody would possibly want to listen to those 2 cues separated. They were meant to be heard together.

Agreed, almost like how "Purpose That Created Us" and "Burly Brawl" are better joined together like in the film.

There are probably quite a few that surpass the 100 minutes and are still interesting all the way through.

Let's face it, 99% don't. And certainly not the stuff written after the early 80's (i draw the line at WILLOW). I may be inclined to include Goldenthal's BATMAN scores but they are rather repetitive, too.

Hell, FIRST KNIGHT and THE MUMMY don't hold up well over 60 minutes. OK, i include LOTR although i find long stretches hard to sit through.

Although I don't think every score I see works brilliantly all the way through (hell, if I did, every score would be awesome), my opinion is partially induced because I don't think a score must hold up all the way in one single listen, just like reading a book all the way through at once can be tiring. For that reason I like my El Cid and my Empire Strikes Back complete and in parts. I listen to non film music this way too.

And I can even the have trouble going through these 60's minute scores, so the question of what works and what doesn't is a bit complicated for me.

That said, I'm not a fan of an overdose of identical repetition in scores. Actually the reason I say all of the above is because of the opposite quality. I mean quality, when it's there.

On a side note, I just listened to Chateau Swashbuckling five times in a row.

It's what Chaac said; too much repetition. Horner scores quadruple this problem, because he often has those beautiful tunes but just repeats them till you want to abandon them at the nearest freeway.

To stay on topic:

That's what James Horner would write on a good day for a great fantasy sequence.

This is awesome news. Revolutions has always been my least favourite of the three, too much bombast with too little direction in my opinion. But perhaps a full length album can give the bombast a little more purpose. The first two scores are fantastic.

I never had a length problem with First Knight in its original album version, although easily half of the highlights from the score were missing. The full length score perhaps suffers from all of these being in the first two thirds or so, with the last part becoming rather monotonous.

The Mummy, on the other hand, it brilliant from start to finish as far as I'm concerned. At least in the album version (don't know the full score). It ranks among my Goldsmith favourites, and I can still find wonderful new details in it when I listen to the CD.

This is awesome news. Revolutions has always been my least favourite of the three, too much bombast with too little direction in my opinion. But perhaps a full length album can give the bombast a little more purpose.

I suppose you say the same with Independence Day but I swore you like that score a lot...?

Revolutions definitely has direction and is an incredibly satisfying conclusion to the motifs and themes he thoroughly developed throughout the films.

As others have said, The Matrix trilogy is one of the coolest things to have happened to film music in the last decade or so. It was a bold daring approach that made a true, strong stylistic impression; the kind of thing Zimmer always tries to, or at least speaks of doing with his latest films, but fails.

I know, that'd be awesome if they could do that!

Though if they did get the rights, they likely would have done a 6CD boxset.

Really the best thing that happened for the series for us film score fans was that WB decided they wanted to release the sequel scores themselves rather than letting Varese continue to release them.

Really the best thing that happened for the series for us film score fans was that WB decided they wanted to release the sequel scores themselves rather than letting Varese continue to release them.

Agreed. Maybe too they saw how long it took for the "Deluxe Edition" to sell out and that's why they let another label take over for the sequels. Maybe they were aware of how many of us were disappointed with the "Deluxe Edition" for The Matrix. Despite that it had a lot of good previously unreleased music, at the same time it was a half assed attempt...

I had bought it anyways because I like the score and wanted to own it, even though I have the sessions for it.

The Mummy, on the other hand, it brilliant from start to finish as far as I'm concerned. At least in the album version (don't know the full score). It ranks among my Goldsmith favourites, and I can still find wonderful new details in it when I listen to the CD.

It has one more highlight, the SAND FACE sequence. Marian, you should get a hold of it, it has one of those torpedo moments in high RAMBO style only JG was ever able to produce: