Matrix Reloaded 2CD Complete Score coming from La-la Land!

Jay

It's as cool and exciting as film music would get in the past 10-15 years. At least in mainstream big films. Karol
Agreed. The level of writing for this franchise was on a plateau that we really haven't seen a lot for the genre or in general. There are a number of films that would have been amazing scores had Davis touched them. Namely MOS. I wonder what he could have brought to the table (I enjoy Zimmer's score well enough as its own entity but I also like McDonalds food once in a while as well).

I just revisited these scores and perhaps in my prozacian attempt to like more contemporary film scores these days my music tastes some what atrophied. The level of writing for this series was plain fantastic. Yes, he did take some parts of John Adams' seminal 80s concert works as inspiration but no more than any Golden /silver Age composer took from Mahler,Strauss, Stravinsky and Ravel/Debussy.I got my hands on the orchestral hand written score for the first film and the detail in the writing is just sick. I would say Davis also applied minimalism true to its rhythmic roots rather than provide us with a watered down version of that movement in music history.I actually agree that Revolutions is actually a lot more melodic in its final tracks than much of the series and the penultimate track Spirit of the Universe is as lyrical as any James Horner cue. It's a splendid way if resolving the series music tone- like one long resolution from dissonance to consonance. I mean what other franchise has that kind of over all architecture in its score? Not too many.

Also love the way he quoted and re harmonized the Dies Irae. Brilliant.

I suppose you say the same with Independence Day but I swore you like that score a lot...?

I used to like the score a lot many years ago, before I even started posting here. I've long since considered it fun but overdone. I picked up the extended edition and played it once or twice without really even paying enough attention to notice the difference to the old album. I've been meaning to give it another try for a while.

Yes, he did take some parts of John Adams' seminal 80s concert works as inspiration but no more than any Golden /silver Age composer took from Mahler,Strauss, Stravinsky and Ravel/Debussy.

I used to think it's a lot of Adams and a bit of Glass. Now I'd say it's a tiny bit of Glass, a small bit of Adams, and a lot of Aaron J. Kernis.

In the first score, that is, and in large parts of the second one. By the third installment, Davis had gone into full James Horner mode (which he certainly knows well, having also worked as an orchestrator for Horner - I don't think the similarities between the sentinel music and Aliens are coincidental). It's competently written, I can't even call it uninspired... but perhaps uninspirING. I just seems to me to be much ado about, not nothing, but not much either.

Trent the deluxe edition came out in 2008, 5 years after the sequel osts.

Yes I'm aware of that but I meant WB probably saw how long it took for the Deluxe Edition for The Matrix to sell out and probably decided to let another label release them instead of Varese. They made a very wise choice on letting someone like LLL do it.

I suppose you say the same with Independence Day but I swore you like that score a lot...?

I used to like the score a lot many years ago, before I even started posting here. I've long since considered it fun but overdone. I picked up the extended edition and played it once or twice without really even paying enough attention to notice the difference to the old album. I've been meaning to give it another try for a while.

Difference between the old album, do you mean the boot? If so ya there's little difference, just some of the previously unreleased material that never made it on the boot, primarily the rescored final battle parts and a few things here and there. The alternates are pretty interesting but largely forgettable.

I was talking about the official album. Obviously there's a ton of added material on the expansion, but I barely noticed it when listening without paying close attention.

I was talking about the official album. Obviously there's a ton of added material on the expansion, but I barely noticed it when listening without paying close attention.

Ah okay that makes sense.

I welcome this news because I really like the Varese Deluxe Edition of The Matrix (yeah yeah I know it's still missing a lot). I haven't seen The Matrix 2 and 3 but I'll blind buy the scores just to hear a continuation of a composer's work, who has unfortunately drifted out of the film scoring scene.

Wow! Great news about Reloaded. I'm a big fan of all the Matrix scores. When I saw that the Reloaded score was getting a 2-CD expansion. I had to get away from my computer and walk around to keep my composure, b/c my anticipation for this score is overwhelming.

Please tell me your joking.

Wow! Great news about Reloaded. I'm a big fan of all the Matrix scores. When I saw that the Reloaded score was getting a 2-CD expansion. I had to get away from my computer and walk around to keep my composure, b/c my anticipation for this score is overwhelming.

A joke is a story with a humourous climax.

It's called passion Koray.

Passion, a violation of the Savas Amendment Act of 2013.

For some, passion is a joke.

He's joking what?

I'm passionate about films and their music, but losing your emotional composure over the news of a CD release is not passion.

I don't consider you very passionate. Not if jumping for joy when a beloved score gets released seems weird to you.

I welcome this news because I really like the Varese Deluxe Edition of The Matrix (yeah yeah I know it's still missing a lot). I haven't seen The Matrix 2 and 3 but I'll blind buy the scores just to hear a continuation of a composer's work, who has unfortunately drifted out of the film scoring scene.

Have you listened to the boots for Reloaded and Revolutions? Ya it's sad he drifted out of film scoring and concentrated on Opera. I guess from what I've read he tried to get back into film scoring but it left a bit of a bad taste in a lot of directors.

Regarding bursting out and or getting excited about a release. Let me say... I shouted, "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" and threw my arms up in the air the day Back To The Future appeared on Intrada's site.

I mean I knew it was coming a year prior to that but wasn't sure exactly when.

I was also excited when Star Trek II appeared out of no where on FSM's site.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting excited about a release you've been wanting / waiting for. If you don't think it's passion...well then there's no help for you and to me it is being very passionate about the said score.

Doesn't seem weird to me (well, it does in this case, where the full scores have been 'out there' for years anyway). Having a grail released is a special thing, and my heart certainly jumps into my throat when I hear a sought after piece of music for the first time.

I really don't think the DE's long sell out time has anything to do with this Trent - Varese had nothing to do with the OSTs for 2 and 3, so it's normal for another label to expand them.

I had to restrain my delight when I first heard the Jurassic Park 20th tracks at work, and discovered what the suites were comprised of. (i.e. every one of my DVD rips was instantly unneeded)

I'm passionate about films and their music, but losing your emotional composure over the news of a CD release is not passion.

I've done a few fist pumps when certain albums have been announced.

I'll blind buy the scores just to hear a continuation of a composer's work, who has unfortunately drifted out of the film scoring scene.

It's a shame, because it seems that Davis in modern minimalism mode would be more compatible with today's Hollywood than the big theme/sweeping orchestra guys. Meaning he might still have a shot at writing complex and interesting scores for big movies.

I'm seeing the original score of Burly Brawl aligned with the scene and I'm amazed at Davis' ability to reinterpret these films as amazing music that sounds also fresh, indentificative of the film, and perfect for the scenes all at the same time.

3:00 to 4:00 -> fucking WHOAH. And the crazy surreal parts before and after that...

Why this guy isn't Hollywood's typecast go-to composer for sci-fi and spectacle is completely beyond me! If I made such a film he'd totally be in my shortlist of composers.

I don't consider you very passionate. Not if jumping for joy when a beloved score gets released seems weird to you.

But do you actually jump for joy? It's an expression, not something to take literally like someone pacing the room because some CD was announced. Hearing it is different, even holding it is different, but just reading some blurb of text on the internet and then having to take a walk to calm down?

I've done a few fist pumps when certain albums have been announced.

CRAZY-PILLS.png

So, 3,500 copies. It's obviously going to be a 2 CD set, and I doubt it's going to be 'super expensive' (I think that one applies only to the boxsets). And I hope to buy this day one (although I probably won't be lucky enough to get a signed one). This'll be my first ever LLL purchase, so what's the price likely to be, minus shipping?

Maybe Koray just isn't a very mobile person.

I do it all the time, in my teens my mother used to tell me to please stop wandering up and down the house all the time.

It has nothing to do with mobility. If something as inconsequential as soundtrack news conjures a physical reaction within you, I don't know what to say. A bit obsessed maybe?

It's the equivalent of the FSM members being in tears over the Ron Jones set being available illegally on the internet.

I do it all the time, in my teens my mother used to tell me to please stop wandering up and down the house all the time.

It has nothing to do with mobility. If something as inconsequential as soundtrack news conjures a physical reaction within you, I don't know what to say. A bit obsessed maybe?

It's the equivalent of the FSM members being in tears over the Ron Jones set being available illegally on the internet.

A soundtrack release is not always inconsequential. Obsessed? Maybe, but music is a passionate thing.

And it's not the equivalent of the Ron Jones thing - those reactions were clearly trying to please Lukas by pretending they didn't know about the shrine.

So, 3,500 copies. It's obviously going to be a 2 CD set, and I doubt it's going to be 'super expensive' (I think that one applies only to the boxsets). And I hope to buy this day one (although I probably won't be lucky enough to get a signed one). This'll be my first ever LLL purchase, so what's the price likely to be, minus shipping?

First ever LLL purchase? :o

So you never bought ID-4, Star Trek TMP, Batman or a lot of the other good releases from them?

A soundtrack release is not always inconsequential. Obsessed? Maybe, but music is a passionate thing.

And it's not the equivalent of the Ron Jones thing - those reactions were clearly trying to please Lukas by pretending they didn't know about the shrine.

Again, I'm specifically referring to the news in and of itself. Not the CD in your hand or the music coming out of your speakers. The thread title that says "Matrix 2CD Complete Score" is enough to get you hot and bothered?

Emotional autism!

Maybe Koray buys enough of this stuff that it isn't that special anymore.

A lot of people around here buy a remarkable amount of releases, more than they can possibly listen to properly. Probably a factor.

Again, I'm specifically referring to the news in and of itself. Not the CD in your hand or the music coming out of your speakers. The thread title that says "Matrix 2CD Complete Score" is enough to get you hot and bothered?

If it's a score you really cared about, then yes I think news could do that.

If it's a score you really cared about, then yes I think news could do that.

This. As I said I got real excited when Intrada finally released BTTF.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with someone getting excited about a release they've been wanting for a score they love. If others see that as a problem, well tough shit.

Excited enough that you had to talk a walk to calm yourself down?

I still feel like I'm in crazy pills. Read specifically what I'm saying.

Why are you making such a big deal about it? Honestly it's NOT a big deal, just calm down and don't care how others react about a release.

To become emotional is illogical.

I get excited but not to the point where I have to get up and walk away or start crying over releases.

I was quite calm, other than a sharpie misfire, when I met John Williams.

First ever LLL purchase? :o

So you never bought ID-4, Star Trek TMP, Batman or a lot of the other good releases from them?

This might sound strange, but I never even heard of LLL until fairly recently (within the last year)! I'm a complete LLL virgin :D But they'll definitely be a fixture in my score purchases from this point forward!