New Alan Silvestri CD - Clean Slate (1994) and The Perez Family (1995) - new Music Box Records Release

Jay

clean-slate-the-perez-family.jpg

Clean Slate • The Perez Family

Music Composed and Conducted by Alan SILVESTRI
Reference : MBR-031
Pre-order now • Release date : August 5, 2013
LIMITED EDITION OF 1000 COPIES
World Premiere CD release.
65 minutes of music never-before released.
12-page CD booklet with liner notes by Daniel Schweiger.
MUSIC BOX RECORDS is pleased to present on the same CD two original motion picture soundtracks composed and conducted by Alan Silvestri: Clean Slate (1994) directed by Mick Jackson (Los Angeles Story, The Bodyguard and Volcano) and The Perez Family (1995) directed by Mira Nair (Salaam Bombay!, Monsoon Wedding and Vanity Fair).
Clean Slate stars Dana Carvey as a private investigator who is the key witness in a murder case. After suffering a head injury however, he has developed a rare form of amnesia that causes him to forget anything that's happened to him the previous day. This makes it hard for him to know who to trust, or if he even knows them at all. Valeria Golino, Michael Gambon, James Earl Jones, Bryan Cranston, and Kevin Pollak co-star.
Alan Silvestri composed a madcap comedy score with a film noir feeling to it. Silvestri’s playfully atmospheric approach would be nabbed somewhere between Toontown and Chinatown, saxophones, piano and lush strings. The score’s tone seamlessly blends playful danger and sultry romance. Silvestri first employs the kind of suspicious string gestures, piano percussion and winking flutes that he’d used for mysterious comic menace in Death Becomes Her and Back to the Future Part II.
Based on the novel written by Christine Bell, The Perez Family tells the story of Dorita Perez (Marisa Tomei), a flamboyant refugee from Castro's Cuba, who longs to fulfill her dreams in USA. Juan Perez (Alfred Molina) is a political prisoner seeking to be reunited with his wife Carmela (Anjelica Huston) after a 20-year. Co-starring Chazz Palminteri and Trini Alvarado.
With the sounds of soulful rhythm as inseparable from Cuban culture as the air itself, Alan Silvestri had interpreted the beats of these mambos and rumbas as film scoring for the fun, ethnic action of Romancing the Stone, Summer Rental’s comedic energy. But it was with 1991s Soapdish that the composer finally broke into full dance step as a brilliantly novel way to swing with the outrageous eccentricity of daytime drama.
For this romantic comedy-drama, Alan Silvestri based his main theme from the classic lullaby melody ''Drume Negrita'' written by the Afro-Cuban jazz kings of Cuba’s golden, Ernesto Grenet. The score is filled with a melancholic vibe, cuban rhythms and a very heartwarming melody.
CLEAN SLATE (36:09)
1. These Foolish Things (Main Title) (1:35)
2. Don't Panic (2:50)
3. What Did I Do? (1:14)
4. Sarah Novak (2:17)
5. That's Him! (2:16)
6. The Meaning of Baby (1:58)
7. Sarah Who? (2:24)
8. Primping For Mom (1:59)
9. Bonding With Baby (1:45)
10. Stranger on the Beach (2:09)
11. Beth Confesses / Guy With Guns / Pacific Highway Chase (3:00)
12. Court in Session / The Escape (3:02)
13. Regaining Memory (2:15)
14. Remember Me? / End Credits (2:46)
15. The Foolish Things (Remind Me of You) (4:00) performed by Oleta Adams
THE PEREZ FAMILY (27:38)
16. Dream (2:01)
17. Fuck John Wayne (3:03)
18. Bleeding Heart (3:29)
19. Now I'm in Prison / Dottie Into Action (1:14)
20. Fencewalk (1:15)
21. Juan Visits Wife (2:01)
22. Juan & Dorita Dance in the Street (1:40)
23. Where Am I? (1:26)
24. The Picture (2:49)
25. Lovemaking (1:40)
26. Drume Negrita (1:42)
27. Reunion (1:34)
28. Always Looking for Cuba (3:15)
TOTAL TIME • 63:50

Samples: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/41-clean-slate-the-perez-family.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very cool. I love early Silvestri -- both synth and orchestral -- and to have two completely unreleased scores out is extra sweet.

NO MERCY is wonderful. In the same category, I hope for a remastered FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (with better cover art!) and premiere releases of AMERICAN ANTHEM, OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE, MAC AND ME and SHE'S OUT OF CONTROL. If any of these have been released without me knowing about it, I'd love to know.

I'll be ordering this as soon as it shows up on moviemusic.com! I'll bundle it with Intrada's new Fandango and...... not sure what else!

The samples seem pretty good.

I don't know, but even in composers I like, I like their earlier stuff (usually pre-2000). I don't know why is that.

@Thor

is there an official release of Flight of the Navigator?

i only see a bootleg.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/10927/Flight+Of+The+Navigator

The Super Tracks is kind of a grey area between official and bootleg. Some of their titles are completely legit, some of them they had LP rights but not CD rights but released a CD anyway, etc. MV posted publicly that the SuperTracks "Krull" CD was illegal, and after that soundtrackcollector.com seemingly marked all SuperTracks releases as bootlegs, but I'm not sure if they all are.

Regardless, nobody who bought the SuperTracks release at the time of it's release thought they were buying a bootleg.

Yeah, what Jason said. When I got my FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR, I was convinced it was the real deal -- and I've always presumed Super Tracks was a legit company too. I'm still not 100% sure this way or that way. In either case, it needs a new, more widely available release.

• 4 years later...