Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

Not bad at all. Generic? Yes. Thrilling, engaging? Quite so. Thrilling in a way that equals JW's level of brilliant, intellectual writing? Perhaps not. I'm interested in Zimmer's contributions, and like KK and TGP, I hope some shimmer echoing Man of Steel or even Interstellar has managed to find a way into this score.

A dose of material you don't readily appreciate can be refreshing to listen to. Get out of your comfort zone, gents! If there's anything I can't stand, it's the snobby, pseudo-intellectual disdain (for Zimmer, especially) that tends to creep around here.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I never was able to figure out what JNH contributed to those Batman films.

It's quite simple actually.  Schedule an appointment, and I'll walk you through it gladly, for a small fee.

3 hours ago, Alexander said:

Not bad at all. Generic? Yes. Thrilling, engaging? Quite so. Thrilling in a way that equals JW's level of brilliant, intellectual writing? Perhaps not. I'm interested in Zimmer's contributions, and like KK and TGP, I hope some shimmer echoing Man of Steel or even Interstellar has managed to find a way into this score.

A dose of material you don't readily appreciate can be refreshing to listen to. Get out of your comfort zone, gents! If there's anything I can't stand, it's the snobby, pseudo-intellectual disdain (for Zimmer, especially) that tends to creep around here.

59989777.jpg

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I never was able to figure out what JNH contributed to those Batman films.

His voice is quite obvious to my ears. Essentially all of the Bruce Wayne material in Batman Begins, and the Harvey Dent material in The Dark Knight.

13 hours ago, Alexander said:

I am not that musical a person; I play in a drum corps but I don't know THAT much about music theory. I hate what we've heard so far, but it's not intellectual disdain for Zimmer.

No point sugar coating it BECAUSE we didn't expect anything different. It's horrible.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

He's a Zimmer clone, but some people here like to pretend he does his own thing.

Yep.

4 hours ago, obirch23 said:

I am not that musical a person; I play in a drum corps but I don't know THAT much about music theory. I hate what we've heard so far, but it's not intellectual disdain for Zimmer.

You're right. In your case, it's seemingly mindless disapproval - nothing (pseudo-)intellectual at all, not even in the broadest sense. Can you actually enlighten us and share your actual thoughts? The ones that caused your apparent disapproval and sheer hatred?

3 hours ago, Alexander said:

You're right. In your case, it's seemingly mindless disapproval - nothing (pseudo-)intellectual at all, not even in the broadest sense.

You're lovely you are.

You are, too. "Hating" Zimmer and Holkenborg shamelessly.

:fouetaa:

I'm not their biggest fan myself, but hatred is a step too far, I think. ;)

There are quite a few Zimmer scores I absolutely love, but I don't really like when he's in this mode. As for Junkie XL, I really have no opinion on him one way or the other, but I find that track absolutely awful, and I don't see why I shouldn't give my opinion, specially since it represents my all time favorite character

I try to judge things on a case by case basis

Hanz Zimmer is a left over from a Dr. Mengela experiment meant to torture film goers everywhere.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

You can't really judge anything based on one track though. I'll never understand the people that speak about Zimmer as if he murdered their family. 

It's probably rooted in the silly notion that you can make one thing better by hating another.  I reckon it has much less to do with how people actually feel about his music than with his position as a "non-Williams," the most prominent one.  His music is very different.  It's sparked trends that snuffed out the big classic sound.  He doesn't have the quasi-monastic lifestyle/persona/working method as Williams.  So, we must hate him.  

That's it.  That's where the fervent hatred comes from.  Not from just disliking the music.  It's some primitive tribal thinking shit. 

It's fucking tiring. 

But Zimmer & co.'s scores don't have to "return-to" value for me. I might listen to it once, keep looking at the clock waiting for it to end because I don't like skipping tracks if I can help it. And afterward I'm left with a coaster I have no interest in revisiting.

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's probably rooted in the silly notion that you can make one thing better by hating another.  I reckon it has much less to do with how people actually feel about his music than with his position as a "non-Williams," the most prominent one.  His music is very different.  It's sparked trends that snuffed out the big classic sound.  He doesn't have the quasi-monastic lifestyle/persona/working method as Williams.  So, we must hate him.  

That's it.  That's where the fervent hatred comes from.  Not from just disliking the music.  It's some primitive tribal thinking shit. 

It's fucking tiring. 

Hating him is easy because his music??? is shit.

6 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

´I reckon it has much less to do with how people actually feel about his music than with his position as a "non-Williams," the most prominent one.  His music is very different.  It's sparked trends that snuffed out the big classic sound.  He doesn't have the quasi-monastic lifestyle/persona/working method as Williams.  So, we must hate him.  

Come on. If you listen to depressingly art- and meaningless stuff like the Watertower clip you don't need an agenda to call it crap. That on the other hand some of those who call it crap are twats doesn't necessarily make the observation obsolete and doesn't negate a 30-year long career that has so much more to offer than this pitiful blockbuster stuff.

I just absolutely hate it when some casual film goer tells me oh that movie is great it has a score by Hans Zimmer. And when I tell him what I think of Zimmer, he makes cuckoo eyes at me and almost apologizes saying..."well he is so popular". 

Zimmer is like the enemy of thoughtful music. He constantly pervades a culture of dumb, degrading, noisy and unintelligent simplistic horseshit that is marketed as "cutting" edge and sold to audiences who lap it up. His music has just one quality - loud.

I think his current music is almost entirely without merit and he has used his current position of influence and esteem in the scoring industry to set some truly terrible precedents which seem to haunt much of the shit that he hear in films these days.

18 hours ago, Alexander said:

You are, too. "Hating" Zimmer and Holkenborg shamelessly.

Haha okay, okay. I don't hate Zimmer at all though, I loved Kung Fu Panda 3 just this past month. I do hate what I've heard of BvS so far - I must stress "so far", we haven't heard it all yet!

But my opinion isn't mindless! That is unfair. Admit it the released snippet is just noise compared to the likes of KFP3.

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Come on. If you listen to depressingly art- and meaningless stuff like the Watertower clip you don't need an agenda to call it crap. That on the other hand some of those who call it crap are twats doesn't necessarily make the observation obsolete and doesn't negate a 30-year long career that has so much more to offer than this pitiful blockbuster stuff.

Yeah, but again, I'm talking about people who take it beyond not liking the music and have a fervent, rabid hatred for the guy on principle.  And there are as many of them out there as the sycophants who apparently terrorize TheUlyssesian with their enjoyment of his music.  

It's actually not much different from the people who love to call Williams a hacky low-brow plagiarist.  You snipe at a "competing" camp to prop your own up.  If you say "I don't like his music," fine.  When you engage in absurd diatribes against him, you have some more laughable psychological baggage on the subject.  

I don't know if on opening day, but I'm definitely watching this. I'm simply too curious about the whole enterprise, the potential it has to both soar and crash and burn