Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

I hope that that's not the last we ever see or hear about the character in this trilogy, but I do think there's something about being able to very quickly and efficiently communicate that this is a character of some dignity and importance. Definitely a cheat, especially if it's the only purpose he ever serves in three episodes, but movies don't exist in a vacuum and Star Wars has always thrived on cinematic shorthand. You get an instant familiarity and curiosity about Sydow than you would have with somebody random, which brings more weight to Kylo Ren's villainy when he kills the guy just as soon as you meet him. It was an effective way to show what a big bad he is in his first 2 minutes of screentime.

Also the Sydow character does give that first hint of Kylo Ren's backstory, so it's possible that he could have some importance to that storyline moving forward. I wouldn't like it if we got all the way to 9 and you still had to read a comic book to find out what this guy's deal was, but the little that was revealed about him in that scene connects him to pretty much every major character, so I hope it was a set-up of some kind.

This is the Batman v Superman thread. Take this discussion to the Star Wars threads, please. If you want to quote Star Trek, that's fine.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

In BvS, Alfred was just given nothing to do.  Any actor could have played that part; They didn't need Jeremy Irons.  Michael Caine and Gary Oldman did much more with similarly small roles in Batman Begins because the script gave them more to do.  Maybe the extended cut of BvS will improve Alfred's scenes.

Oh, I disagree. His role wasn't major, but he had some poignant scenes with Bruce Wayne and played a neat role in the later Batman scenes. He had one of the best lines in the movie when that stupid CGI monstrosity showed up. Jeremy Irons was just badass. I mean, you can have him say anything and it's great. Best Alfred since Michael Gough.

1 hour ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

This is the Batman v Superman thread. Take this discussion to the Star Wars threads, please. If you want to quote Star Trek, that's fine.

Please leave the moderating to the moderators!

;)

I was taken aback when I came in here to find some exciting Batfleck discussion and see Kyle Ren and Daniel Craig as a Stormtrooper instead. There are plenty of Star Wars threads, you know? It has nothing to do with this stuff!

600px-Batman89_61.jpg

Man, you guys are expecting a lot out of the Von Sydow character.  Is it only because of the casting?  i.e. if they had just gotten some schmoe to play that character, would you still think there was more going on?  I think Von Sydow performed a role in the movie (a link to Kylo Ren's past, an adventure for Poe in media res to start the movie, handing over a McGuffin) and I don't think there's more to it than that.  Canon sources have already laid out the broad strokes of the guy's whole back story - if there was a mystery to it that would be revealed in later movies, Lucasfilm would have kept it a mystery.

I'd liken him to Admiral Motti from the first Star Wars.  He has some words with Vader that imply history, he gets choked, he never appears again.  I don't think there's more to it than that.

The Lor San Tekka character seemed like quite a "now you see me, now you don't" one.

Hardly leaves an impression, but I suppose he does start the whole story, giving him some importance.

I do reckon Max van Sydow did the best with what he was given.

The Batman v Superman movie didn't seem particularly awesome when I watched.

However, Alfred definitely was awesome. Best character in the movie. Except, perhaps, Wonderwoman. :P

Meh. Though I enjoyed it in parts, I don't think I'll see this again.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Hey here's a trailer for the extended cut

Comes out in just 3 weeks!

The UE will be my first visit. Will the longer version do what it did to Kingdom Of Heaven? I certainly hope so.

If you had a brain you would realize, since I have not seen this movie, that I'm referring to the general opinion (just like it is the general opinion that the DC of KOH is way better than the TC) .  Typical Steef, who once again doesn't get it.  Pretty perplexing actually. It's a good thing that KK is back. 

It's nice that the DVD isn't barebones, but most of the same extras as the Blu-ray.

Note how the various home video covers use the new DC logo too...

But Larry copies the photography style of  MOS, right? Or is it something new altogether? (not hyper-stylized and not MOS)

Yes, MOS! Of course! Never post before your first cuppa, folks!

PS: I'll edit my post in order not to confuse the good people of JWFan.

I had no problem with the cinematography, but the production design was bland as can been. There was absolutely no sense of place in the two cities. Specially Gotham

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But Larry copies the photography style of  MOS, right? Or is it something new altogether? (not hyper-stylized and not MOS)

Fong's work on BvS is more colorful, but the tone is consistent with MOS. There's hardly any handheld shots in BvS either, it's mainly Steadicam and a few slow-mo shots.