Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

It's official now. Apparently it draws inspiration from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

Henry Cavill returns, as does David S. Goyer.

Nolan is an executive producer.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1870/5fzv.jpg

Karol

Whilst I would have welcomed this further down the line, I'm very unhappy that they haven't let Cavill's Superman develop his role (in a true sequel) more first.

Suddenly I'm feeling the same influences encroaching on us here as us gamers feel from video games publishers already (to make money to the MAX above ALL else - purely to justify the astronomical costs involved in making these things nowadays).

I just expected this twist on an old business model to take a bit longer to get to movies, but I guess I was wrong.

Next up: Free to Watch Movies. Subsidised by Facebook and other social media with exclusive (digital) vanity items available at a premium.

Yeah but Nolan's Batman is now so ingrained in the audience's mind.

Are they gonna introduce a new Batman in a Superman movie?

I mean Man Of Steel was hardly a universally loved film. Is Warner gonna risk teint their sure-fire moneymaker Batman?

Yeah, it won't be Chris Nolan's Batman. It has been already confirmed those films stand apart from Man of Steel universe.

Karol

Press release:

On the heels of the worldwide success of “Man of Steel,” director Zack Snyder is bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The current hit, “Man of Steel,” has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcoming film brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane. The new Batman has yet to be cast. Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date in Summer 2015.

Silverman stated, “Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he’s a fan first and he utterly gets this genre. We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic Super Heroes to the screen in his own way.” Kroll added, “We are thrilled to be back in business with Zack and his team on this next movie. The success of ‘Man of Steel’ is a wonderful testament to the love and support that both fans and new audiences, worldwide, have for these characters. We are very excited to see what Zack has in store for all of us.”

Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, noted, “Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere. All of us at DC Entertainment could not be more excited for Zack’s continuing vision for the DC Universe.”

Zack Snyder, who made a surprise appearance at Comic-Con today, breaking the news to audiences there, later said, “I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter. Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world.”

The new film brings back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers. This time, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan. Thomas offered, “Whilst our ‘Dark Knight’ trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack’s fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction. His vision for Superman opened the door to a whole new universe and we can’t wait to see what Zack does with these characters.” The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment

Karol

So this Comic Con:

CBR's coverage of Comic-Con International in San Diego continues with coverage of the massive panels in Hall H. Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures launched Saturday programming with a joint panel surveying their upcoming films, including "Godzilla" and "Seventh Son" from Legendary and "300: Rise of an Empire," "Gravity," and "The LEGO Movie" from Warner. A full panel report will follow soon, but the big news was Warner's announcement of "Superman/Batman," a live-action film directed by Zack Snyder and starring Henry Cavill and a Batman to be named later.

With the panel already running over, Hardwick welcomed Zack Snyder and Henry Cavill to the stage.

"I know there's been a lot of speculation about what we're doing," Snyder said. "It is official that we're going to make another Superman movie." He teased that "there's one particular part of the film I might be able to help you out with."

Harry Lennox from "Man of Steel" joined the panel to read something. "We're not adapting this thing," Snyder said, "but it will help us tell you something."

"I want you to remember, Clark, in all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat," Lennox read, quoting Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns." "I want you to remember the one man who beat you."

Then, on the screen, a Superman shield within a Bat symbol. With nothing more to be said, the panel wrapped.

1374355746.jpg

Official Press Release

On the heels of the worldwide success of “Man of Steel,” director Zack Snyderis bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution,Warner Bros. Pictures.

The current hit, “Man of Steel,” has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcomingfilm brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane. The new Batman has yet to be cast.

Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date inSummer 2015.

Silverman stated, “Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he’s a fan first and he utterly gets this genre. We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic Super Heroes to the screen in his own way.” Kroll added, “We are thrilled to be back in business with Zack and his team on this next movie. The success of ‘Man of Steel’ is a wonderful testament to the love and support that both fans and new audiences, worldwide, have for these characters. We are very excited to see what Zack has in store for all of us.”

Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, noted,“Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere. All of us at DCEntertainment could not be more excited for Zack’s continuing vision for the DC Universe.”

Zack Snyder, who made a surprise appearance at Comic-Con today, breaking the news to audiences there, later said, “I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter. Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world.”

The new film brings back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers. This time, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan.

Thomas offered, “Whilst our ‘Dark Knight’ trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack’s fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction. His vision for Superman opened the door to a whole new universe and we can’t wait to see what Zack does with these characters.”

The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment.

Any chance Hans Zimmer will make a new motif for these two without sounding, you know, "low key"?

Geez, I didn't see this one before posting on the future films thread...

But anyway wonder how HZ gonna make another revolutionary musical technique this time. Last time it was razor fiddling strings, then those drum circles, what's next?

The Big Z for the score?

Zimmer doing three Batman films, one Superman film, a Spider-Man movie and a Superman/Batman movie.

Holy stock library music, Batman, World War Z is upon us!

Geez, I didn't see this one before posting on the future films thread...

But anyway wonder how HZ gonna make another revolutionary musical technique this time. Last time it was razor fiddling strings, then those drum circles, what's next?

Now he can combine the two!

The Big Z for the score?

Zimmer doing three Batman films, one Superman film, a Spider-Man movie and a Superman/Batman movie.

Aren't you curious how is he going to juggle all those iconic ideas in one powerful (this part is true) package?

Karol

Zimmer's score should be interesting. Wonder if he'll keep the same musical ideas from Nolan's films.

If Zimmer, and why the hell would he not, reaches down inside and grabs the toolbox he always uses, this score will literally write itself.

The Big Z for the score?

Aren't you curious how is he going to juggle all those iconic ideas in one powerful (this part is true) package?

Karol

Combining a two note motif and a couple of rising intervals shouldn't be so hard.

Anyway, just wanted to remind you all, we're going to die soon (although die is a very inaccurate word here).

Apart from Will Smith, of course.

legend_poster.jpg

Karol

Now, you're going a bit too far, Koko. "A decent actor" is more like it.

He's a personality actor with an occasional splash in drama. I would never give him an Oscar but I enjoy his movies. Men In Black, Hancock...

It's the great irony. Zimmer used to be really good with small films. I'd like him to tackle something like that again.

Karol

I enjoyed all the DC Animated Originals starring Batman and Superman especially the recent adaptation of Frank Miller's legendary comic The Dark Knight Returns.

I expected them to do a World's Finest-type movie as a third Superman film, not the direct follow-up.

And as for Nolan's involvement, it'll be similar to Tim Burton's name on Batman Forever. He and his wife get executive producer credits, their Syncopy label will be on it... but that's it. No say in the production or story development.

I am dreading Zimmer's score for this.

Although they say they're looking for a new Batman, I bet they're at least asking Bale if he wants in.

I don't think Bale will rule it out (since Nolan is involved in a limited capacity), but only if he likes the script. And then his agent can leverage a massive payday akin to Robert Downey Jr's.

Bale sometimes does roles for the money. Like Terminator Salvation or Reign of Fire.

He's picky about what he choses, but not all of his movies aren't smart decisions.

Wow, another summer 2015 blockbuster? That'll be an interesting year.

Also, when the PR says they wlll be "facing off"...does that mean they are enemies?

There's different Batman/Superman stories throughout the decades, and plenty of material Goyer and Snyder can mine for the film. (As well as different drafts for the projects by Andrew Kevin Walker and Akiva Goldsman.) One is that Superman gets the impression that Batman is a "bad guy", another is Superman not fully trusting Batman's motives and methods of crimefighting, and so forth. I really enjoy that three-part story arc "World's Finest" in Superman: The Animated Series... one of my favorite Batman/Superman stories.

It seems like Snyder and Goyer are taking a cue from The Dark Knight Returns (you can read the Wikipedia entry), but I'm hoping they'll use other pieces from different Batman/Superman stories.

Jesus.... Summer 2015 was already the most crowded summer of all time, and now there's another huge tentpole being added? Craziness!

I pray that the studios have some sense to space these movies out further to give audiences breathing room. I don't want to see a similar situation in 2015 like in 2007 and now where there's far too many movies vying for people's attention.

I'm sure once Star Wars: Episode VII and this film get release dates, their rivals are going to move things around. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the smaller films move to August or fall 2015.

If they are taking a few cues from The Dark Knight Returns, it would make sense to have an older Batman.

There's also the Public Enemies storyline which is good stuff too.

So in 2015 we have this, Avengers 2, Star Wars, maybe Avatar 2. Anything else?

Unless James Cameron can cut the post-production time down to half, I don't think Avatar 2 will be ready for 2015. That's even if they start shooting early next year as planned. And I don't think Episode VII will be summer 2015, I think it's a likely fall 2015 release. (Keep in mind folks that Disney is running Lucasfilm's operations now, and they don't have to stick to a late May/Memorial Day weekend release like Fox did when Lucas was calling the shots.)

And there's also Pirates of the Caribbean 5, which will be a massive hit overseas than in the United States.

Bale sometimes does roles for the money. Like Terminator Salvation or Reign of Fire.

He's picky about what he choses, but not all of his movies aren't smart decisions.

Hey I like Reign Of Fire! :P

I'd call that one street crime movie he did a cash-in over it. What was it, Hard Times?

I pray that the studios have some sense to space these movies out further to give audiences breathing room. I don't want to see a similar situation in 2015 like in 2007 and now where there's far too many movies vying for people's attention.

2007 happens to be my favorite year in film. I say bring it on!