Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

So these films now posit a world where no one had ever seen any kind of superhero or anything fantastical until Superman showed up, and yet there's been a Batman fighting crime for 2 decades in Gotham?  Does that mean he was fighting plain old criminals with no superpowers the entire time?

Batman isnt really a superhero. He's a vigilante, who's been fighting crime in Gotham for 2 decades. I think most of the villains in the Batman comics don't have superpowers anyway. Certainly now the well known ones (The Jokes, The Penguin, The Riddler, Two Face etc...)

BvS starts to hint at the existence of people with super powers other then Superman. It's referred in the film as the meta-human theory or thesis. Lex Luthor was gathering information on them (The Flah, Aquaman, Wonder Woman etc).

I guess that will be the DCU's name for what Fox calls "Mutants" and what the MCU calls "gifted" or "enhanced" people.

I wasn't implying that Batman had superpowers, just that traditionally he has fought villains with them.  But yes, less often than a Superman, Wonder Woman, or other super-powered heroes.

This movie...

Spoiler

...answers the question of who would win in a fight between Batman and Superman.

Batman obviously won. He had Supes down for the count and would have stabbed him with the Kryptonite spear if Supes didn't say the magic Martha word and Lois hadn't have shown up.

Batman wins by default!

Nor am I!

WE KNOW NOTHING!

I think it's usually a case that these comic bookjs have to come up with villains that match the hero's abilities. So if Batman would go up against a Magneto or other supervillain with those kinds of powers he would simply be killed of with great ease.

That's why the whole concept of Batman fighting Superman doesn't work unless you massively stack the deck.

The unshackling of Snyder will probably not happen any-time soon, Alex. Get ready for Man Of Steel 2, Batman v Superman 2, The Justice League saga etc...

1 minute ago, Jay said:

You're just realizing now that the general public doesn't care about reviews?

The general public seems to be inconsistent when it comes to reviews. Some film series are completely critic proof (The James Bond films for instance), while other die on their arse because of the poor reviews. (Fantastic Four reboot?)

It's the opening weekend. This movie would take in huge sums on opening weekend regardless of its quality or reviews. It made money due to its premise and marketing, not because the general public loved it. But expect this movie to start droping like a brick

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The general public seems to be inconsistent when it comes to reviews. Some film series are completely critic proof (The James Bond films for instance), while other die on their arse because of the poor reviews. (Fantastic Four reboot?)

Exactly! Jay didn't know that even though he sounded very smug. It's even breaking records. Did we already talk about this? 

It's a interesting case. The Transformers franchise always got terrible reviews and box-office success but audiences who went to see them never really did defend them, nobody took them seriously. And most people seem to agree with the critic despite still going to see them.

But with the Supes vs Batsy film, there's a lot of people openly defending the movie and flat out pointing to the critics being wrong; something similar to blind fanboys but not quite that. It's like if something you like doesn't go eye to eye with the general public's opinion then they are the ones who must be wrong. 

I say like what you like and don't give a fuck about anything.

10 minutes ago, Romão said:

It's the opening weekend. This movie would take in huge sums on opening weekend regardless of its quality or reviews. It made money due to its premise and marketing, not because the general public loved it. But expect this movie to start droping like a brick

Not sure, lots of people say they don't understand the bad reviews so I don't expect the word to mouth effect to be that damaging.

Has anyone noted the fact that Thomas Wayne takes a swing at Joe Chill, and how different that portrayal of the murder is, and how that might shape the new Batman?  Even Martha seems about to scrap with him. 

3 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Has anyone noted the fact that Thomas Wayne takes a swing at Joe Chill, and how different that portrayal of the murder is, and how that might shape the new Batman?  Even Martha seems about to scrap with him. 

"They were hunters!"

3 hours ago, Drax said:

Joe Chill? I remember seeing Batman Begins for the first time and being disappointed that it wasn't Jack Napier who killed Bruce's parents.

Tell me, kid. You ever dance with devil by the pale moonlight?

11 hours ago, Romão said:

This is not even hiting 400 million domestic, mark my words

The thing is, there is no big films opening until The Jungle Book and Captain America: Civil War. Some people I talked to who saw it were bewildered by the critical reviews and enjoyed it. Of course there are the people who loathed it and wish for it to plummet 70% in its second weekend.

At most it'll likely drop 60% in its second weekend, which is the norm for big spring releases like The Hunger Games and Furious 7. If the drops are less or more than that, then audiences are embracing or rejecting it.

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Jay said:

So these films now posit a world where no one had ever seen any kind of superhero or anything fantastical until Superman showed up, and yet there's been a Batman fighting crime for 2 decades in Gotham?  Does that mean he was fighting plain old criminals with no superpowers the entire time?

The crux of the shared universe.  Someone has to be first.  Marvel has the same issue.  Iron Man was essentially the first public superhero.  There were stories, like Captain America, that may have seemed more like legend, etc, but they didn't come into the wide public eye until Iron Man, right?  Although origin stories can remain intact, all superheroes are now born into a world where they exist, like the comic universe.

I'm actually curious if there is a Marvel or DC property that is popular, that I'm not thinking of, that doesn't take place in the same world and is completely separate unto itself.

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Jay said:

You're just realizing now that the general public doesn't care about reviews?

People who read reviews trend older, film criticism isn't really a thing the young kids pay attention to.

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Stefancos said:

Fantastic Four looked objectively bad based on the trailers and it's a property no one cares about.  Superman/Batman didn't have either of those problems.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes. I don't know if every shot from that teaser in is the film. (which I never saw in HD) But that scene is in there. It was the first thing that caught my interest and made me hope the REAL Snyder would return.

And sometimes he returns ... and sometimes he doesn't? Is that it? Does that summarize the movie well?

Many critics are incapable of understanding the appeal of this kind of cinema. This disconnect between them and the audience is as old as the medium of film, nay hundreds or thousands of years older.

Let the critics appraise Mad Max: Fury Road and let "us" feed of the overblown swill that we deserve!