Star Wars ORIGINAL UNALTERED trilogy possibility(?) in HD!

filmmusic

I had bought the extended Gladiator DVD set several years ago for cheap at a Burlington Coat Factory, but come to think of it, I don't recall seeing it for sale since. I won't be upgrading it to Blu-ray because it looked fine.

Private (by a professional) 4K restoration of Star Wars  to be screened later this year for Disney/Fox!

http://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/910108

here's some videos with mainly color comparisons:

https://vimeo.com/channels/starwarslegacy

I think it's really embarassing for the team that was behind the transfers for the Blurays, that one man's work is much better and I assume closer to the original!

(watch eg. the first video with the pink lights)

Why would it be embarrassing to the team behind the Blu-ray transfers? They were never hired to transfer Star Wars. They were hired to transfer a film called Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (Special Edition version 03).

I'm sure they made the film look exactly as Lucas, the man who hired them for the job wanted it to look.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why would it be embarrassing to the team behind the Blu-ray transfers? They were never hired to transfer Star Wars. They were hired to transfer a film called Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (Special Edition version 03).

I'm sure they made the film look exactly as Lucas, the man who hired them for the job wanted it to look.

I meant the colors too.

I think the colors were further changed for the Bluray and didn't resemble the colors of the special edition on DVD and at the cinema.

But OK, I guess if Lucas wanted pink lights in that scene they did an outstanding job!

• 1 year later...

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/02/rumor-unaltered-original-star-wars-trilogy-re-released-year/

MSW is very reliable, although obviously there's been no official confirmation yet. 

I hope they put 'em in the theaters! 

Well, with a brightness/contrast correction, they almost disappear.

Like the scene where Vader is holding in front on a window on his ship... like the flying things on Dagobah... The Rancor scenes...

You never saw the "despecialized" versions of the movies?

You are right, let's be prepared for the worst, like a Star Wars Original Trilogy Extended Edition.

A New Hope contains 30 minutes of additional footage.
    The Empire Strikes Back contains 44 minutes of additional footage.
    Return of the Jedi contains 51 minutes of additional footage.

:flush:

If it does happen (and Jason wouldn't post it to the site unless he thought there was a serious chance of it happening) I full expect that there will be mass outrage over of something insignificant. The lack of Fox logos will be a big deal for some reason. There'll be stuff that won't be "fixed" that'll annoy people. 

Its TD going to be popcorn.gif worthy! 

30 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

If it does happen (and Jason wouldn't post it to the site unless he thought there was a serious chance of it happening) I full expect that there will be mass outrage over of something insignificant. The lack of Fox logos will be a big deal for some reason. There'll be stuff that won't be "fixed" that'll annoy people. 

Preservation of film history is never insignificant. ;)

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I really don't care about what logos are at the front, or whether the original has 'A New Hope' above the crawl or not.  I just want the movies I fell in love with in the best possible quality.

It's pretty annoying when people (not you, necessarily) take some imagined moral high ground, saying that we who hate the altered versions are blinded by nostalgia.  Say if they replaced a lot of visual effects in The Wizard of Oz with jarringly incongruous CGI, I'd be equally pissed.  It just doesn't make sense.

And I'm forbidding anyone from trotting about the BS argument about the VHS versions not being the original theatrical editions.  False equivalence!

Anyway, if they do release high quality versions of pre-97 original trilogy you won't see me re-live these same arguments over and over.  I will be happy.

In my opinion, some of the additions and new effects are great, and an improvement on the original.  I'm fine with the back half of Star Wars, the entirety of Empire, and the back half of Jedi.  But the bad stuff (SW Jabba, Jedi Rocks, the wonky Greedo edit, the ronto in Mos Eisley) is so, so bad, that it makes the overall result inferior.

Yeah, I actually agree that not all of the alterations are bad (I also agree that the bad ones are so bad that it kind of doesn't matter).  I'm certainly not some hard-line weirdo who wants to erase the current "canon" versions from existence.  I don't think it's unreasonable for a series this financially successful to keep two versions of each of those movies going in parallel.  Every time there's a hot new format to re-release them on, just make sure both versions are available for those who want them.

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

In my opinion, some of the additions and new effects are great, and an improvement on the original.  I'm fine with the back half of Star Wars, the entirety of Empire, and the back half of Jedi.  But the bad stuff (SW Jabba, Jedi Rocks, the wonky Greedo edit, the ronto in Mos Eisley) is so, so bad, that it makes the overall result inferior.

The worst change by far is Vader's "No" in Return of the Jedi.  The other stuff is just background details and filler scenes but that addition ruins one of the best scenes of the series.  

That was the exact time I wished for Lucas to leave Star Wars alone.  My wish came true! :)

You wonder who the CG animator was, what his name is and if he really wanted to change these things in his heart, or what lies and threats led him to leave his home.