Star Wars ORIGINAL UNALTERED trilogy possibility(?) in HD!

filmmusic

Harmy's are fine, especially the first and second ones.  There are some things in Jedi that aren't quite successful, like trying to put eyebrows back on a dying Vader, but as a fan-made project it's nothing short of amazing.

That being said, I would not expect much of a different reaction from Kennedy herself, who probably feels she owes Lucas such a unpayable debt for her career trajectory, that she could never cross him on those original films.  Shame.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

He won't live forever

They should just secretly work on the project so that the moment he croaks it, they can release the films in their original forms to honor his legacy, or something.

I'd rather they spent time and money on updating the cgi for 4K.

The theatricals mean nothing to me. Very happy with the BluRays for the time being.

23 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Harmy's are fine, especially the first and second ones.  There are some things in Jedi that aren't quite successful, like trying to put eyebrows back on a dying Vader, but as a fan-made project it's nothing short of amazing.

That being said, I would not expect much of a different reaction from Kennedy herself, who probably feels she owes Lucas such a unpayable debt for her career trajectory, that she could never cross him on those original films.  Shame.

I agree that Harmy's work, while outstanding, isn't quite perfect. That's to say, I believe the vast majority of people including die hard Star Wars fans, would be hard pressed to spot the flaws (unless they knew specifically what to look for). It really takes someone with frame by frame knowledge of the films to spot most of the flaws.

The other thing is, who's to say a Lucasfilm/Disney release would be perfect, or even superior? Even if it was the original, unaltered trilogy, there are plenty of things they could do with colour and sound to screw it up. What if it has the green tint that seems to be the curse of many BD releases these days? What if the effects are mixed too loud and the music too low? Even setting aside the special edition changes, the 2011 BD's were awful in terms of colour and sound. And no official BD is going to give you the original surround mix, the original stereo mix, the original mono mix, the isolated score, four commentary tracks, etc. that you get with Harmy.  So while I want an official release as much as anyone, it's unlikely they can put something out that will please everyone. In the meantime, Harmy's work looks damn good.  Let's put it this way...if an HD GOUT release never happened, I'd be fine with Harmys.  

I agree with your comments about Kennedy....I think this is all about respecting the wishes of Lucas, and not about any legal constraints. I don't think it's going to happen until George says so or he's gone.

• 1 year later...

The interesting ones are 1-6. Weren't the special editions struck from a 2K DI? And of course the latter ones are inhibited by the resolution in which the CG effects were rendered.

I feel an upscaling coming on!

As was Episode II, if I recall correctly...

Hopefully they'll include 4K versions of the theatrical OT movies along with the "specialized" versions. We know a 4K remaster of A New Hope exists.

Wasn't episode 2 shot with a blend of film and digital cameras?  I don't remember now

I know TPM was shot on film, but then some amount of shots (4-5 or something) were shot with an experimental digital camera, or something like that.

I believe 2 and 3 were shot entirely on digital. Having checked, the raw files would barely amount to 2K, anyway. Still, a high-quality upscaling could look quite good.

As for unaltered versions of the films (and its worth noting alterations were made to all six films), isn't Kathleen Kennedy on record for not wanting to touch those? I wouldn't even be surprised if there's some contractual obligation on the matter. It'd certainly add that much more work to the transfer process.

I hate to admit it, but I don't know that we'll ever see a release of the truly unaltered films. George Lucas has succeeded in assasinating his own films (and those of Kirhsner, Marquand and Kasdan) as they originally existed. Shame.

I mean, the idea of revisiting a film in retrospect isn't anathema to me, and some of the changes work well enough for me. But that the original cut is made unavailable in favor of the tweaked cut I find madenning.

I believe that Lucas shot one scene in digital on TPM - the scene with Qui-Gon testing Anakin's blood.

I believe that Lucas shot one scene in digital on TPM - the scene with Qui-Gon testing Anakin's blood.