Star Wars ORIGINAL UNALTERED trilogy possibility(?) in HD!

filmmusic

It wasn't a test audience showing: it was the bloody premiere.

Then it was judged to be mind-numbingly slow and was cut shorter. I probably would find the longer cut boring, too, but it should still be available.

Can I just say that the true unaltered versions of the movies are UNWATCHABLE.

Those movies just need a respectull restoration without any added or changed scenes.  

Some matte paintings needs a little bit of love, same thing for the contrast and brightness of some effects. That’s it.

Nobody is talking about not correcting faded prints, contrast issues, dirt and too heavy grain, other than that I have no idea what you mean.

There is a difference between film restoration and film alteration. 

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Nobody understands me!

🤣

Yes we do we are just saying it better.

Altering matte paintings, maybe except for selective colour balancing to help them mesh better with the foreground (green Death Star chasm) would be just as much of a "fuck you" to the original artists as Burtt dialing out JW was in 2004 or ILM splotching obviously CG X-wings over the technical oscar-winning Dykstraflex footage in 1997. You either restore it to as good as it would have been if freshly printed perfectly on perfect stock , or you're slipping right back into the revisionist territory.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I never liked the pacing of that film, but to think it was twenty minutes longer is just mind-boggling. Although maybe something in those twenty minutes would have made the ending a bit less cryptic. As it is, you need the book to really understand what's going on and, in that regard, that film is not a standalone experience.

Maybe you need the book, but clearly many don't. The film stands alone perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, John said:

There really isn’t much in that film to figure out.

Without being told, you wouldn't really be able tell that omniscient aliens were in fact behind the Monoliths or the illusion of the room within which Dave finds himself.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Maybe you need the book, but clearly many don't. The film stands alone perfectly fine.

Try taking a semester class on the book and film focusing on the religious allegory. 

And then do that being the only kid in the class who isn't in love with the film. 

Still I got an A (must be said in Quint's voice ie: we delivered the bomb)

Its really not so much a religious allegory as much as it a simple glorification of the space age.

If the aliens use the Monoliths to help push humanity along its evolutionary tract, and the last two Monoliths are in space, then manned space travel is the route to the next step in evolution. That's the theme of the film: its that simple; which - of course - isn't to say that its not potent. I mean, I love that Kubrick took the science fiction genre and played it as though it was one of the big-screen historical epics of the time. Its certainly beyond impressive. But don't make it into something it isn't.

No it is most definitely a religious allegory. I minored in English lit with an emphasis on 20th century religious novels. It was my first but not last in the classroom. Ive read the book almost as many times as I have seen the film. The book is.....better.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Without being told, you wouldn't really be able tell that omniscient aliens were in fact behind the Monoliths or the illusion of the room within which Dave finds himself.

Is it not clear from all the other appearances of the monolith? It’s not like it appears for the first time at the end. 

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Altering matte paintings, maybe except for selective colour balancing to help them mesh better with the foreground (green Death Star chasm) would be just as much of a "fuck you" to the original artists as Burtt dialing out JW was in 2004 or ILM splotching obviously CG X-wings over the technical oscar-winning Dykstraflex footage in 1997. You either restore it to as good as it would have been if freshly printed perfectly on perfect stock , or you're slipping right back into the revisionist territory.

Meh, if people want to try to create spiffy new versions, I say go for it - nothing inherently disrespectful about drawing inspiration from existing work and trying to create a new version using technology that didn't previously exist.

I only get mad when these new versions are the only version I can watch. Sometimes I'll be curious to see a modern take on the VFX shots. More often, I'll want to see the film in its original form. All is well as long as I get a choice in the matter.

Essential things that need to be corrected in the original trilogy:

- The matte painting of the gards in the throne room

- the shot in ESb where Darth Vader is in front of a too pale window in his spaceship

- the contrast of the flying things on Dagobah

- the contrast of the Rancor scene

- the « energy » field under Luke’s speeder

- the dark smoke in the Hoth sequence

What else...

26 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Essential things that need to be corrected in the original trilogy:

- The matte painting of the gards in the throne room

- the shot in ESb where Darth Vader is in front of a too pale window in his spaceship

- the contrast of the flying things on Dagobah

- the contrast of the Rancor scene

- the « energy » field under Luke’s speeder

- the dark smoke in the Hoth sequence

What else...

These really make the films unwatchable.

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

These are apparently the posters that will be used on Disney+ for the Star Wars movies

Hide contents

6DD3C701-D293-4F39-B67F-F1F5DEC452EB.jpeg
98019F32-484A-4AF0-B550-A43AE6DCBB1B.jpeg

EBEECF48-108F-4C6B-9C02-5E85880508E4.jpeg

BC4C5AD0-7A8A-4E05-AE5E-A525B391CED1.jpeg

551E1927-F8D0-4964-AD9D-B800C09A89EF.jpeg

88F14DDF-3445-41CE-BC79-6D8221EEF87F.jpeg

83A32E6F-CAB1-4677-9AB7-F62657D1C71C.jpeg

63B6E068-F471-4039-8982-75E583E1F3BC.jpeg

DFF74625-4304-4DFE-95A7-7EC6C79E2A51.jpeg

8F3080B7-29E1-4462-8103-087008B8B1F3.jpeg

https://m.imgur.com/a/sHQXNOk

Eye-pleasing, color-coordinated...authorized.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

These are apparently the posters that will be used on Disney+ for the Star Wars movies

Hide contents

They are. Disney+ has been available in (Australia?) for the past week now; these are indeed the covers used. This also confirms that the "leaked" covers for next year's 4K releases are legitimate (meaning that all of the films are being released in 4K next spring!)

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Wait, Disney+ launched two months earlier than America in Australia?

It's a "beta" test essentially. It's free for everyone is Australia to try until it launches officially in November. I have a lot of Facebook friends that have been using it.

7 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

How do they do Episodes II and III in 4K?

Likely an upscale, similar to many other films that have been released in 4K. It would mainly benefit from HDR and presumably Dolby Atmos.

I find it strange they didn't announce it at all as the D23 Expo. Although this isn't the first time they "stealthily" reissued the films. The new Blu-Ray reissue that was leaked along with the 4K leak was just released this week, and is being sold at my local stores. So the leak is definitely 100% real.

According to the leak, the Episode I-VI sets are due to be released Quarter 1 of 2020, while the TFA and Rogue One sets are set to be released either Quarter 4 of 2019 (within the next 3 months) OR Quarter 1 of 2020.

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Likely an upscale, similar to many other films that have been released in 4K. It would mainly benefit from HDR and presumably Dolby Atmos.

I won’t be surprised if IV-VI are 2K upscales, as well.