Star Wars ORIGINAL UNALTERED trilogy possibility(?) in HD!

filmmusic

Something else discussed among industry friends at the Con this year: the likelihood of original unaltered Star Wars trilogy finally being released on disc in high quality now that Disney is driving the Falcon. Concensus is it's quite likely leading up to new films.

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/thedigitalbitscom

if ONLY that was true, this would be the release of the decade for me!!!!!!

Do people still care about these movies?

very few young people have ever seen them.

if they get released

its all that needs to be said,

Honestly, a few years ago, I would have been all over such a thing. But nowadays, really, it seems irrelevant to me if this ever happens.

I thought so too, but having seen the original trilogy some time ago, after more than 15 years, I found out that I still love the films and would be thrilled in a possibility of a Bluray.

It helps too when I try to forget EVERYTHING that followed after Return of the Jedi.

This is all cool news, of course.

But for me all it matters is six Star Wars scores (12 discs or more with superb packaging and liner notes).

Karol

I've never gotten to see them on the big screen--I even missed out on the '97 releases. I'd love to see them do a theatrical run of the restored originals to lead up to VII. If they do it, I'll be there.

I shudder to think how many times people have bought this trilogy.

I've bought it once, on VHS. This would be my second purchase.

Saw them on DVD (the unaltered originals), though not personally purchased. This would by my first.

I shudder to think how many times people have bought this trilogy.

I've bought it once, on VHS. This would be my second purchase.

Saw them on DVD (the unaltered originals), though not personally purchased. This would by my first.

I bought - unfortunately - the special edition DVDs (I didn't know at the time that the differences were so many), but fortunately I held off on the BLurays.

If this happens, it will be my 2nd purchase.

These are a most important part of our cinematic history, and SHOULD be released!

I really wish Lucas had the way of thinking of Spielberg, who fortunately released unaltered his biggest films like Jaws, ET., Indiana Jones trilogy etc..

imagine the shark being CG in all its scenes!

Thing is, Star Wars needs to be epic. And in order to do that, it needs very believable visual effects. Jaws doesn't need that. It's just comfortable lurking beneath the waters, scaring audiences with the two note motif.

Do people still care about these movies?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. People were like "I'm all Star Wars-ed out" and suddenly, when they announce a possible HD remaster of the unaltered OT, everyone's interested? Were they all acting like they didn't care about Star Wars anymore just to look cool?

People never stopped being interested in SW, but the constant badgering by fans towards a defiant Lucas has worn many fans down to the point where they've just come to accept that it won't be happening and write it off as a loss. However they get excited again when this topic gets murmured again.

Honestly, I'd rather have a complete re-recording of the original trilogy conducted by John.

Excepting ESB, the movies themselves just get worse and worse with each rewatch, with or without CG Jabba.

I'd actually rather have the special editions than the unaltered Trilogy, especially for ESB and RotJ

While there's some poor choises in the SE's overall I think the changes improve the movies

Honestly, I'd rather have a complete re-recording of the original trilogy conducted by John.

Excepting ESB, the movies themselves just get worse and worse with each rewatch, with or without CG Jabba.

Blume returns... For this? :P

I'll take Star Wars.

Don't care about the other 5 in all honesty.

I think Empire and Jedi would be cool to have, but whenever this issue comes up, I've always felt that it's really about making Star Wars available, with the other two being a "Oh, and while you're at it..." sort of thing. Regardless of whether or not the SE's changes are beneficial or help suspend disbelief on a pure entertainment level, the 1977 version is a cultural landmark and historically, would be great to have out there for those who saw it at the time and future generations to see the exact film that blew everyone away. It's not quite the same thing with the sequels.

I just want a HD restored version of the film I saw in the summer of 1977,

No subtitle Episode 4 A New Hope,

No Jabba, no questions who shoots first. Just a cleaned up, faithfully restored ala Raiders, Jaws, ET, version of the single greatest movie experience of my life.

I also want a HD retored version of The Empire Strikes Back, with none of the added nonsense, none of the windows added to the floating city, none of the subtext added that clues you in the big reveal at the end.

I think there's a good chance we'll get the original versions on blu ray in the next few years, but I bet they leave "A New Hope" in there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also kept or redid some of the cleanup work from the SE, to garbage mattes and things like that. I don't really mind this or "A New Hope" to be honest, though it would be fascinating to see the original original originals.

And I will always love the entire original trilogy - if there's a new release sans SE material I'll be sharing filmmusic's excitement! (Y)

I'd still happily buy the original unaltered trilogy, despite my general blaise-faire attitude towards all things SW related in the second half of my life. You know, for the kids.

Indeed.

Anyways, I was implying that I'd like to show my children the original unaltered trilogy someday, not the SE/BD versions, so I'll buy it.

Indeed.

Anyways, I was implying that I'd like to show my children the original unaltered trilogy someday, not the SE/BD versions, so I'll buy it.

I really hope you regain your interest in them too, but yes, the waiting makes us in the end -- oh i don't know the word -- but anyway, you get what i want to say..

which reminds me, i haven't even seen the deleted scenes since I didn't buy the Blu-rays..

Were they good?

I've honestly never lost interest in them completely or anything, it's just that when i was in middle school I would watch them on an almost weekly basis, and was following all the EU stuff and merchandise, etc. Then when the prequels started coming out I lost all interest, because they all sucked. I never watched any of the new cartoon shows, or anything. But I'd still love to be able to watch the original 3 films without CGI nonsense added for the rest of my life, for sure.

I still remember when I saw Star Wars for the first time on TV, I was disappointed when I saw the title "Episode IV", because i thought that there were 3 other movies before that and I missed them, so I wouldn't understand the plot. :biglaugh: