Star Wars ORIGINAL UNALTERED trilogy possibility(?) in HD!

filmmusic

At least it'll be less of a dilemma - like it would be now if we had the originals on DVD already.

I'm not sure what you meant, but we do have the original unaltered films on DVD. or is this what you meant?

Well, it's technically DVD quality (4:3 is as valid of format as 16:9), but yes, it's more or less a laserdisc master pressed to DVD.

Oh, it was and is absolutely possible to restore the original unaltered cuts, George has just chosen not to allow it, to date.

If and I do stretch the if, Disney actually does release these on Blu-Ray I too would buy them. I still need to get the current set on Blu-Ray and hopefully can for my birthday.

If Disney does do this chances are they may not release them until sometime next year.

That's what really turned me away from Star Wars. The bullshit Lucas expects us to believe.

I don't understand that the man who set up industry standards has so little interest in offering his own films in the best quality there is. And then lies about it!

If and I do stretch the if, Disney actually does release these on Blu-Ray I too would buy them. I still need to get the current set on Blu-Ray and hopefully can for my birthday.

If Disney does do this chances are they may not release them until sometime next year.

Disney is not involved in this Trent, they don't own the original trilogy.

They have control of everything but Star Wars. For that, they'd have to work out a deal with Fox, but that realistically shouldn't be too big of a problem. I'd be shocked not to have this released in 2015.

This reminds me to pick up Hudsucker on Blu.

No subtitle Episode 4 A New Hope,

I absolutely don't care either way. I just want a cleaned up HD transfer of the original trilogy without any of the 1997 annoyances. I've never bought the OT in any form, and since 97 I've seen them exactly once, in a dubbed German 4:3 TV broadcast. I've been itching to see them again for years, so I'd pick this up in a heartbeat.

As I mentioned on page 1 and several others have since, Fox will be the one to do this.

Until you hear it from their mouths, take it as a rumor.

There's some stuff from the Special Edition for Star Wars (ANH) that I like ...IE: additional CG for when the Falcon escapes Mos Isley, additional CG effects during the Battle Of Yavin but I do agree that Han Shot first should have been restored and the whole Jabba sequence is just...dumb.

There's some stuff from the Special Edition for Star Wars (ANH) that I like ...IE: additional CG for when the Falcon escapes Mos Isley, additional CG effects during the Battle Of Yavin but I do agree that Han Shot first should have been restored and the whole Jabba sequence is just...dumb.

but we were told those effects were state of the art. ROTFLMAO

In terms of the changes in and of themselves, I agree with Trent.

The films do need to be out there as originally released, simply because of their importance to cinema, and place they played in film history.

Star Wars is considered a National treasure by the National Film Registry.

Library of Congress has the 1997 version.

The original theatrical edition does not exist as a singe master at Lucasfilm, but all the elements still exist from what I read.

I also read somewhere that very few original prints survive.

It would be quite the restoration project to reconstruct the theatrical master print.

Library of Congress has the 1997 version.

The original theatrical edition does not exist as a singe master at Lucasfilm, but all the elements still exist from what I read.

I also read somewhere that very few original prints survive.

It would be quite the restoration project to reconstruct the theatrical master print.

Considering that Lucasfilm can just basically print money, there should be nothing stopping this from happening. If Lawrence of Arabia can get a brillant 4K restoration, there's no reason that the original three films get the same.

Other then Lucas not wanting to do it.

but if he didn't want the original versions to come out at all, why those non-anamorphic dvds were released? ok, even if they were bad...

what was he thinking?

"ok, i don't want you to get my original films in HD, but here's a bad version of them"

??

At this point, I'd rather get the first Special Edition on Blu-ray than these increasingly changed versions. All this shit from The Phantom Menace is all over Return of the Jedi now and even the fucking Ewoks are digital. I still don't believe that the changes ruin the movies, but they don't enhance them at all and most of them are just awful.

If Lucas had made Star Wars (ANH) today instead of back in the 70's using the CG technology would anyone really bitch and complain about the changes?

If Lucas had made Star Wars (ANH) today instead of back in the 70's using the CG technology would anyone really bitch and complain about the changes?

If they would be made today I think they would be bad films, because they would be dragged by the general climate that exists among sci-fi, and the creators would worry more about loading their film with CGI, than the story and the characters.

and yes. Probably when they would be released in Blu-ray, there would be still changes..

I understand though that many people -who probably saw the special eiditons first - don't mind at all.

As I, who saw the Blu-ray of THX1138 didn't mind at all, since i hadn't seen the original. (and when i saw scenes of it on youtube, he certainly changed it completely too)

But since I grew up with the original Star Wars trilogy and it is an important part of my childhood, and holds and important percentage of the reason why I love films and film music, I would certainly love to have them and any change on them feels like a sacrilege to me..

(as with other movies that i have grown up with and had the same fate)

people would still complain, if the version they saw in the cinema's was not made available in the same quality.

Yes. This is the whole issue. The fact that some parts of the movie were changed wouldn't be nearly as bad if the original versions were available in the same quality as the changed films. I thought this point had been made pretty clear by fans around the world for the past sixteen years.

As I, who saw the Blu-ray of THX1138 didn't mind at all, since i hadn't seen the original. (and when i saw scenes of it on youtube, he certainly changed it completely too)

He sure did change it. Surely, you realize that THX-1138, as it is now, couldn't be made in 1971? Replacing sets and creatures (which were perfectly fine, BTW) with technology not related to the time the films were made in is something that will always bother me.

Alex

He sure did change it. Surely, you realize that THX-1138, as it is now, couldn't be made in 1971?

Surely I realize.

But I don't understand why you ask this.

I mean, what's your point?

If they would be made today I think they would be bad films, because they would be dragged by the general climate that exists among sci-fi, and the creators would worry more about loading their film with CGI, than the story and the characters.

Funny, you just described the prequels.

To realize it means the effects have a serious chance of sticking out (as they do in the OT) which could lead to an unbalanced viewing experience. To me, CGI simply has no place in a film made in 1971. It would be less of a problem if Lucas respected the experience of the fans of the first hour and made the original version available.

Alex

To realize it means the effects have a serious chance of sticking out (as they do in the OT) which could lead to an unbalanced viewing experience. To me, CGI simply has no place in a film made in 1971. It would be less of a problem if Lucas respected the experience of the fans of the first hour and made the original version available.

Alex

well, to tell you the truth in THX I didn't mind a lot. I mean, I didn't see anything that was unpleasant to me..

But yes, i agree that when there are so radical changes, both versiosn should definitely be available to the public!

By the way, even with these CGI, it seems THX was a very good film!

George Lucas certainly had a vision and creativity back then..

I think I may have said this in the past

In the 80's and 90's when I was watching the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS I kept thinking how cool it would be if Lucas went back and re-did the special effects of the original Star Wars. That was before there was any talk of Special Editions.

Maybe Lucas did read my mind with the Force. In that case, I , King Mark, am responsible the Star Wars SE

If Lucas made Star Wars today, well just look at the prequels. And I doubt it would be the major hit it was back in 77'.

I have a confession to make.

The original three film were made before I was born. Which means they are not part of my childhood memories. True, when my mom was pregnant she went to see TESB in cinema (and I'd like to think this shaped my musical tastes), but I've not seen the films in full until 1997. If not for those releases (as pointlessly augmented as they are) I wouldn't have a chance to watch Star Wars on big screen. In a few years following I've watched VHS to death.

So having originals doesn't have much of a sentimental value to me. It's cool for those who want it, sure, and I would check them out as well.

Karol

Not only are they out of place and stick out like a sore thumb, but it's a slap in the face to artists for the ground breaking work done at the time of films original release.