Star Wars ORIGINAL UNALTERED trilogy possibility(?) in HD!

filmmusic

It's almost like Lucas heard all the backlash from the SEs and decided he just hadn't made ENOUGH changes for people to understand his vision. Thank goodness Spielberg went the other way with it.

Actually there were some subtle changes for the Blu-Ray releases.... in ROTJ the same species of Sebulba was added in walking into Jabba's "throne" room.

I don't think there was really anything done to SW and ESB. I think they added some blue-ness or something for either TPM or AOTC to match each other in terms of looks. Oh and in AOTC they changed the way how Dooku escaped...well swapped a couple of things around right when he escapes from Geonosis. To me that was REALLY annoying and distracting.

Actually there were some subtle changes for the Blu-Ray releases.... in ROTJ the same species of Sebulba was added in walking into Jabba's "throne" room.

I don't think there was really anything done to SW and ESB. I think they added some blue-ness or something for either TPM or AOTC to match each other in terms of looks. Oh and in AOTC they changed the way how Dooku escaped...well swapped a couple of things around right when he escapes from Geonosis. To me that was REALLY annoying and distracting.

Also the "noooo" of Vader in Return of the Jedi (i guess he wanted to match the "nooooo" of Revenge of the Sith"?) , and I think an all new sound for Ben's scream when he first appears in the first film.

and i remember also some different framings in TPM.

It's all there in detail somewhere..

I've asked again:

has anyone seen the deleted scenes for the original trilogy that were in the Bluray releases? are they good? anything interesting?

(I didn't buy the Blurays so I haven't seen them)

edit: oh wow! i just read a review and says there's an hour and a half of deleted scenes.

I've asked again:

has anyone seen the deleted scenes for the original trilogy that were in the Bluray releases? are they good? anything interesting?

They are all on youtube. As each you tube video appeared, we discussed them here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20624

hmm.. all the videos are deleted..

anyway, I'll find them when i have some time..

the reason I'm asking is, would anyone prefer for the special editions to add some of those scenes, instead of CGI? (of course some small scenes were added but still)

Ah bummer. I own the blu rays and watched all the deleted scenes, but damned if I can remember them all now. These are the kinds of things that would have been WAY more fascinating to me had they been released in the mid 90s when I was deeply into Star Wars. Still cool to see, though.

Also the "noooo" of Vader in Return of the Jedi (i guess he wanted to match the "nooooo" of Revenge of the Sith"?) , and I think an all new sound for Ben's scream when he first appears in the first film.

and i remember also some different framings in TPM.

It's all there in detail somewhere..

I've asked again:

edit: oh wow! i just read a review and says there's an hour and a half of deleted scenes.

OH ya forgot about those changes for SW and Jedi. Adding that "No. Noooooooooooooo!" in Jedi totally ruined the scene...

I think you're right about the frames for TPM.

I don't know if I've seen all of the deleted scenes from the Blu release, but I watched several of them when they were still online, and I really wish that they had kept the full original scene of Leia visting Luke while he's recovering from the Wampa attack. It gives the impression that there's really something there between Leia and Luke, which also gives an interesting sense of the passage of time from the first film to ESB, and gives the scene a nice sense of beginning, middle, and end. It adds layers to the kiss at the end of the scene (she's not just trying to piss off Han, she's also getting the kiss that she was interrupted from earlier in the scene), and sets up Threepio the Cockblocker as a running gag. It would also certainly have saved us from the stupid twin thing in ROTJ.

The OT didn't have pale squares and matt lines around the spaceships in the cinema

They only appeared on the home video versions so it is correct to remove them

They were always there, though. Those and the Emperor's slugs only became more visible because the home video transfers were brightened from the original theatrical versions.

I think the reason the classic versions will be released is because bootleg edits are getting better and better. Uber nerds with modern technology are fixing the Blu-ray transfers, splicing in the necessary footage from the original versions and even recreating original shots. What the hell? Think about it. The first DVD release was probably due to the heavy bootlegging of the LaserDisc versions at the time. Now that the fans have taken it several steps further, it's necessary to officially attempt to upstage the bootlegs.

Disney would have to work out a licensing deal if they're going to do a re-release on DVD and Blu-ray in the near future. The rights to the last five films (home video, theatrical, et al) don't revert to the Mouse House until May 2020. And Fox perpetually owns the rights to the first Star Wars, which is a stickier issue.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

And I can't see Fox letting Disney pay the usual licensing fee... they're going to want something in return.

• 9 months later...

Bumping this thread for this:

Here’s a kind of convoluted rumor for you to chew on as we continue to wait for no news about Star Wars: Episode VII. According to an interesting e-mail we’ve intercepted, and which purports to come from within Disney’s marketing department, the studio are planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on DVD/Blu-Ray/On Demand in their original form, without all the things George Lucas changed for the “Special Edition” releases back in 2004.

The new trilogy is going to be very closely tied to the original (and not so much the prequels, if you’re reading between the lines) and will be marketed as a direct sequel to those, so this particular re-release strategy makes a certain sense.

Going forward and looking at the much bigger picture, there are more dubious rumors to consider, like Disney potentially phasing out the prequel trilogy by lumping them in with the “Legends” non-canon fodder. This has apparently been the subject of gossip near Disney, though it’s very possibly just that – gossip amongst the worker bees. Anyway, it would allow for a reboot of sorts, with new prequel movies featuring Yoda, Darth Vader, etc.

But like I said, that rumour is much more dubious. Sure, they probably don’t want people to think too closely how disappointing the last three Star Wars films were in the run up to a new release, but to erase them from canon… would be a totally different story.

For now, though, there is room to remain hopeful about a new original trilogy re-release.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/15/new-star-wars-rumors-include-original-trilogy-re-release-on-blu-rayvod-and-more/

If I see it, I won't believe it!

Bumping this thread for this:

Here’s a kind of convoluted rumor for you to chew on as we continue to wait for no news about Star Wars: Episode VII. According to an interesting e-mail we’ve intercepted, and which purports to come from within Disney’s marketing department, the studio are planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on DVD/Blu-Ray/On Demand in their original form, without all the things George Lucas changed for the “Special Edition” releases back in 2004.

The new trilogy is going to be very closely tied to the original (and not so much the prequels, if you’re reading between the lines) and will be marketed as a direct sequel to those, so this particular re-release strategy makes a certain sense.

Going forward and looking at the much bigger picture, there are more dubious rumors to consider, like Disney potentially phasing out the prequel trilogy by lumping them in with the “Legends” non-canon fodder. This has apparently been the subject of gossip near Disney, though it’s very possibly just that – gossip amongst the worker bees. Anyway, it would allow for a reboot of sorts, with new prequel movies featuring Yoda, Darth Vader, etc.

But like I said, that rumour is much more dubious. Sure, they probably don’t want people to think too closely how disappointing the last three Star Wars films were in the run up to a new release, but to erase them from canon… would be a totally different story.

For now, though, there is room to remain hopeful about a new original trilogy re-release.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/15/new-star-wars-rumors-include-original-trilogy-re-release-on-blu-rayvod-and-more/

If I see it, I won't believe it!

This is patentedly FALSE RUMOR from beginning to end.

It's obvious Disney will eventually release the untouched OT at some point. Lucas was blatantly being a lying stubborn crank when he said they no longer exist.

This is patentedly FALSE RUMOR from beginning to end.

How are you sure?

It could be easily true, as it could be easily false too..

The distribution rights of the original Star Wars are owned by 20th Century Fox in perpetuity. Distribution rights for the subsequent five films are also owned by Fox until 2020. Before then, it's highly unlikely Disney will market any kind of release. At this moment, they're focused first and foremost on the new movies.

As for the possibility for an official release of the "unaltered" theatrical versions, it's commonly known that Lucas himself doesn't want them released (he considers them no more than workprints) and it's very unlikely Disney will ever do something against Lucas' will.

well, if he doesn't want them released, why did he release the non-anamorphic DVDs?

It's better to release "bad" films (according to his opinion) in bad quality (and make them seem even worse), than to release "bad" films in HD quality?

The sure thing is that Star Wars Blurays will be again released, when the new movie will come out.

They will fully take advantage of the opportunity. It's too good to be missed!

Now if it will be the original trilogy or a 23rd repackage of the same altered Blurays, it remains to be seen.

well, if he doesn't want them released, why did he release the non-anamorphic DVDs?

As you can remember, there were a number of vocal fans who petitioned for a release of the theatrical cuts on DVD. Lucas was originally against the idea, but in the end he was persuaded to release them in some form. Call it an exception to the rule.

As you can remember, there were a number of vocal fans who petitioned for a release of the theatrical cuts on DVD. Lucas was originally against the idea, but in the end he was persuaded to release them in some form. Call it an exception to the rule.

Well, there isn't any reason then why he shouldn't be persuaded again.. :)

Although, from what I understand, it's not his call, is it?

I mean, is he the one that will decide if the theatrical films will be released in Bluray?

Didn't he sell the company?

Maybe if Star Wars Episode VII is a success Fox will arrange to be able to get the original Star Wars (ANH) out in remastered HD along with the others.

Maybe if Star Wars Episode VII is a success Fox will arrange to be able to get the original Star Wars (ANH) out in remastered HD along with the others.

And with a suitable advertising (eg. "See how it all started! The original unaltered trilogy that made cinematic history, for the first (and last) time EVER in HD" :biglaugh: ), they would sell like CRAZY!!

This is Star Wars we're talking about.

People are buying and re-buying re-packages of the altered Blurays. And they wouldn't buy this?

I'm just saying this, because there were some people in other forums that said that the unaltered trilogy wouldn't sell.

For the OT, there are licensing and restoration challenges, but it's not unreadable.

Unfeasible I mean.

Frankly, it's hard to tell if it'll happen at this point.

We can but hope.

To release it in their original forms would be great, Just think: Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars, none of that a New Hope Shit, Star Wars. 2nd verse same as the first.

Here's an article breaking down the difficulties of remastering and rereleasing the original unaltered trilogy

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/05/could-disney-finally-give-us-the-remastered-unedited-star-wars-we-want/

The special edition, that’s the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it’s on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I’m not going to spend the—we’re talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn’t really exist anymore. It’s like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I’m sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it.

What a putz.

Yeah, a film that got completed again 4 times?! (Re-title to A New Hope, '97 Special Edition, DVD Edition, BluRay edition) You would think him knowing Spielberg and his stance on this sort of thing (after being briefly brainwashed by Lucas in 2002 for a certain film... luckily rectified) would rub off. Guess not...

Here's an article breaking down the difficulties of remastering and rereleasing the original unaltered trilogy

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/05/could-disney-finally-give-us-the-remastered-unedited-star-wars-we-want/

OMG, that's so sad to read!

What man lets the original negatives of the most famous films in history be destroyed?

I heard Giacchino is re-scoring the OT

All kidding aside, I wouldn't mind a complete re-record of Star Wars à la Debney's Superman. I doubt Williams would take the time at this juncture to do something like that, but if they got a good orchestra and conductor...

What man lets the original negatives of the most famous films in history be destroyed?

It seemed like a good idea at the time!

The changes to Star Wars don't even come close to amounting to 50% of the film, by the way.

So if Fox owns the original films still, and can still distribute them however they want... why wouldn't they be interested in restoring it themselves?

Because they have contractual terms preventing them from doing so. The joys of legal intricacies and complexities. They're also only the distributors, so don't have a huge say in the materialistic content.

Another site commenting on the bleeding cools' article.

Whether Bleeding Cool’s specific lead is genuine or not, I think an eventual re-release for the unaltered original trilogy is inevitable. This is Disney, a company that’s made billions off re-releasing old classics before putting them back “into the vault.” You can’t tell me they aren’t going to take advantage of the boatloads of money a proper Star Wars original trilogy re-release would bring them. To say nothing of the fact that Disney would instantly win the goodwill of many Star Wars fans who’ve grown jaded and cynical thanks to the umpteen Special Editions and the prequels. Their hearts would grow three sizes that day. And they might get in line for Episode VII even if they don’t like J.J. Abrams. (You know most of them are going to anyway, in spite of their protestations.)

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/star-wars-rumor-original-unaltered-trilogy-headed-bluray.html

But it says something else too:

Not all of the changes made in the so-called Special Editions were bad, so maybe offer a “Special-ish Edition” that keeps some of the technical upgrades but nixes anything egregious. They could use focus groups: just put some die-hard Star Wars fans in a room, start playing the Special Editions, and whenever they start punching things and swearing in Aurebesh, you know that’s a scene that needs to hit the cutting-room floor.

Hmmmm.. NO! This is unacceptable!

We are not asking for half-measures here.

Release the originals, or don't release anything at all please!

We already have 53 different versions of Star Wars trilogy!

When the first blu-rays were released and the new changes were reported, I bought the DVDs with the theatrical prints instead. Until an restored version of the theatricals are released soon, I'm sticking with these bad boys.

Then, when Lucas himself (and Lucasfilm reps) repeatedly suggested in 2006 that the original, unaltered films could never again be released in high quality because they “no longer existed”, we called BS straight away. No less an authority than Robert A. Harris – our longtime friend, film preservation expert, and former Bits contributor – confirmed for us that not only did the original elements still exist and that the original theatrical versions could certainly be restored (at worst case high quality prints remain preserved in archives around the world), it could be done relatively easily compared to other projects, and for a modest sum. All that would be required is the financial investment and the will to do so. Robert would know, of course – he’s restored the Godfather films and Lawrence of Arabia among many other beloved cinema classics. So the notion that the original films “no longer exist” is simply nonsense.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/051914_0010

That's surely hopeful news!

Now the only reason I have for looking forward to Star Wars VII, is a possible release of the original trilogy! :biglaugh:

I was wondering has anyone seen the Harmy editions that are mentioned? Are they good?

I mean is it preferable to watch these, than the theatrical editions on DVD?