Star Wars ORIGINAL UNALTERED trilogy possibility(?) in HD!

filmmusic

They just re-released the old film, why would they do so again?

There's a market for the original versions yes, but it's a niche market compared to the number Disney is aiming for right now.

Nobody wants them old ghetto versions.

Which logo did they delete? I haven't seen Toy Story.

The Pixar logo.

Star Wars is no more tied with 20th Century Fox.

TownerFan did you read what I quoted?

Yeah, read it after I posted, sorry.

I guess there is still some tangled situation when it comes to rights to the previous 6 films. You're probably correct that digital distribution rights are handled separately than home video and theatrical ones, so it could be that any of the new release of the older films in theaters and physical media will carry the Fox logo until 2020. That's why I think Disney will probably wait until then to re-release it on Blu-ray and DVD, but maybe they're working already with Fox on some sort of agreement. That being said, I think it's unlikely the Fox fanfare will still play under the Lucasfilm logo.

There was a rumor not too long ago on the FSM board from someone working on a restoration of the original trilogy in 4K, but he told they were working on Special Edition cuts, not the original theatrical ones. But maybe it was just bogus rumor.

We'll see what will happen.

My question is who is taking the profits of the current blu-ray set? I assume Fox are still selling the films on home video; wouldn't they be taking the profits of all currently released home video formats of the films?

It might be a case that all future home video release profits go directly to Disney and Lucasfilm, but everything currently available remains Fox's property.

I don't care if the Fox logo never appears in a SE version again. I just want the vintage 70s Fox logo retained in a restoration release of the original unaltered films.

It'll never disappear from STAR WARS because they own that film for perpetuity.

Which logo did they delete? I haven't seen Toy Story.

The Pixar logo.

So Pixar didn't make it anymore?

Ok, I was wrong.

They deleted the old Pixar-y Walt Disney logo and put the new Walt Disney logo.

Here's how it was originally:

(I think before this, was the Pixar Logo (or maybe not, i don't remember, just found a VHS opening that doesn't have the Pixar Logo)

I seem to remember Pixar has always had the little lamp as its logo, but I'm not sure if it started with Toy Story or later. That original CG Disney castle I don't think was meant to be a Pixar logo, necessarily, but just to announce it as the first CG animated movie, I'm not sure that it was ever used again and I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to remove it. That was completely part of the film and as ET says the new edit is awful.

I'm not sure that it was ever used again and I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to remove it. That was completely part of the film and as ET says the new edit is awful.

It has been used again, with a clean ending.

In A Bug's Life and Toy Story 2. I'm not sure about other movies

(at 10.27'')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-SZQLiPaZA

But only in Toy Story it was part of the film, and not just a seperate logo in front of the film.

Awful....

Also the inlcusion of the new disney logo on the lion king, the fanfare eliminates (or mutes) the night savanah sound (birds, crickets, lion road) over a black screen. Which makes the start of the music at sunrise more impactul and beautiful...

I think in the Spanish track, the logo is silent and you can hear the sounds...

I hadn't seen these recent releases and didn't know they'd altered the logos. Absolutely disgusting. I'm sure the motivation is to maintain a consistent brand...but people don't take kindly to a brand that messes with their memories.

I hadn't seen these recent releases and didn't know they'd altered the logos. Absolutely disgusting. I'm sure the motivation is to maintain a consistent brand...but people don't take kindly to a brand that messes with their memories.

Disney, for some reason think their older classics need logo updating. They kept the blue castle logo for The Little Mermaid 2006 Platinum release, but for last year's Blu-ray they replaced it with the new logo. They also changed the timing of the main titles.

But they're also inconsistent with them. The Black Cauldron wasn't subjected to the logo swapping.

It's just as bad as replacing the Fox Fanfare with some fucking God awful edit of the ending of the ESB credits.

Worse, if you ask me - it's a lot harder to get another studio's permission to include their logo in your release than it is to just leave your own damn logo the way it is.

• 4 months later...

Starting today I'll post a few pages from my original script each day leading up to a big announcement.

Some say the big announcement could be the OT on BLuray!

(I don't think so, but anyway)

http://news.entertainmentearth.com/2016/02/18/star-wars-peter-mayhew-script-and-announcement/

In the meantime:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/16/star-wars-restore-1977

Probably he's retiring after Episode VIII, although I cannot see how that'd be called a big announcement.

Maybe he's expected to reveal something official in an unusual way, like the Instagram mini-teaser for Episode VII.

Mayhew could retire and they'd still keep the character going. I fully expect Chewbacca will appear in the inevitable X-XI-XII trilogy around 2025. 

Probably alongside R2, 3P0 and Luke if Anthony Daniels and Mark Hamill remain in good health (and Luke doesn't get killed off ala Vader in VI).

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Maybe not Chewbacca, but his son, Gnawbacca.

WHAT!? Unless Chewbacca supported polygamy, his son's name was Lumpy! You obviously haven't seen Star Wars: Episode IV.V: Quest for Life Day, the thrilling midquel which explores Kashyyykian life.

On 18-2-2016 at 0:21 AM, filmmusic said:

Some say the big announcement could be the OT on BLuray!

(I don't think so, but anyway)

http://news.entertainmentearth.com/2016/02/18/star-wars-peter-mayhew-script-and-announcement/

In the meantime:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/16/star-wars-restore-1977

It's going to be the publication of recording session photos on Scoringsessions!

6 hours ago, Drax said:

Who watches the enhanced versions of the Original Series? They're done rather tastefully, I reckon.

I watch them only because they're the only versions on Netflix. They're...tasteful, yes, but I'd rather just watch the cheesy original. Improve the image quality, even recomposite some effects elements if you must, but don't replace visual effects altogether.

I gotta give credit where credit is due, though - I really like the re-recorded main titles.

8 hours ago, Drax said:

Who watches the enhanced versions of the Original Series? They're done rather tastefully, I reckon.

I'm sorry, but I can't watch anything that is revised.

I like appreciating the original thing in every film and TV series, along with its errors and limitations.

29 minutes ago, Woj said:

But at least the consumer can purchase and own both the original version and remastered versions in modern formats and quality.  You have the power of choice. 

Yes, i don't have any problem when that happens but unfortunately it doesn't happen very often.

7 hours ago, Woj said:

I watched the Extended cut of Gladiator last week. Holy crap was it long. 

For a two and a half hour movie, the theatrical cut of Gladiator flies by. It's a very well-edited, well-paced movie.

The extended cut, not so much.