Star Wars ORIGINAL UNALTERED trilogy possibility(?) in HD!

filmmusic

What the hell was wrong with the original shot?

Nothing, it's a flawless shot in a perfect film with one of the greatest John Williams moments ever. Literally the only FX shots in the Indy Trilogy that can be criticized (but are basically forgiven anyway) are in that chintzy-looking biplane scene in Last Crusade, which has the worst compositing of all time.

I think this will be a reality eventually but I don't think it'll be out before December 2015. (Someone from Lucasfilm even said last year that there were currently no plans but never say never). I think it'll come out after 2020 when they only have to deal with Fox over one film. Saying that, however, Disney and Fox don't seem to be able to do any deals over the X-Men or Fantastic Four etc.

So I've... acquired... the despecialized edition of the first film so far and I'm impressed with the bits I've seen. Dunno when I'll try watching it, but it's nice to have a copy of the original film that isn't in shit condition like those DVDs.

So I've... acquired... the despecialized edition of the first film so far and I'm impressed with the bits I've seen. Dunno when I'll try watching it, but it's nice to have a copy of the original film that isn't in shit condition like those DVDs.

I've checked some parts side to side with the theatrical DVD.

Wow, it's a REVELATION!!

Still dreaming of the day that i will hold an official Bluray with something like this in my hands!

and if they will include also the 5.1, the stereo, and the mono like here... It will be the release of the century for me!! :)

So for anyone who acquired this despecialized edition, how do you watch it? I want to put it on media to watch on my TV, but I think the only way to do it is via laptop with HDMI cable, or SmartShare it as an MP4 over the network. Burning to DVD, even the 8 gig size, is too big a quality drop. Are blank Blurays affordable?

I believe you cant fit a 8 gig file on a USB stick, since they are FAT32 by default and can only hold a file up to 4 gig in size.

Reformatting is to NTFS isnt a solution either, because many bluy-ray players can only read from FAT32 drives.

I believe you cant fit a 8 gig file on a USB stick, since they are FAT32 by default and can only hold a file up to 4 gig in size.

Reformatting is to NTFS isnt a solution either, because many bluy-ray players can only read from FAT32 drives.

Huh? I have a 16GB USB stick.

I have no idea where to get this. The page on OriginalTrilogy.com doesn't help.

OriginalTrilogy does not allow direct links, you would probably have to PM one of the members for help.

I wonder if ext3 would work. Many Blu-ray players are Linux based, after all.

I will try to share it over the network first. I amazed myself by dragging a movie file from my library to my TV entry on the computer, and it automatically started it playing on the TV downstairs.

Different file system. Linux. Windows can't work with it however.

There are drivers that integrate it quite well in Windows. The beauty of open source.

I'm actually pleased with how more streamlined and simple Star Wars is without all the alterations and additions.

I wonder if ext3 would work. Many Blu-ray players are Linux based, after all.

I tried with a USB stick formatted to ext3.

Both my blu-ray players reconize that an external drive has been connected, but one won't let me select it, the other thinks it has no files on it.

My network media player does read and play from it.

• 1 month later...

Breaking news?!

STAR WARS trilogy is currently in process of a 4k 16bit restoration!!

We're not sure yet if it's the special editions, or the unaltered trilogy.

Go here:

http://www.rmwusa.com/

projects - restoration

and some shots here in their reel:

http://vimeo.com/95919913

edit: someone posted screenshot comparisons of the Bluray and the video:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/83709/picture:0

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/83700/picture:0

off topic: By the way, pause at 0.17'' of that video and see how much better Indy looks without the golden filter:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=1520&disc2=1519&cap1=14348&cap2=14332&art=full&image=7&hd_multiID=760&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Here in Atlanta, a local theater has somehow managed to order a 2k DCP version of the original Star Wars film for a screening this Friday (their projector is not equipped for 4k). I don't know what version of the film it will be, though in my heart of hearts I suspect it will end up having the same edits as the current Blu-Ray. But I was pretty shocked that such a thing was even possible, and I wonder if the screening has anything to do with this news.

The Atlanta screening might be of the 2k Lowry Digital transfer of the 1997 Special Edition, unfortunately.

I hope we do get a full restoration of the unaltered original trilogy, and strongly suspect this as being the case.

The Lightsabers in the Obi-Wan V Vader fight make it look like the Special Edition.

The Atlanta screening might be of the 2k Lowry Digital transfer of the 1997 Special Edition, unfortunately.

I hope we do get a full restoration of the unaltered original trilogy, and strongly suspect this as being the case.

Generally when a theater gets permission to screen the original trilogy it's the 1997 cut that they get.

Episode IV is the only movie of the first trilogy that I never liked in his SE version (and the current Blu-Ray Version).

Two weeks ago, I saw a fan version called "STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.5".

WOW... That's it, alass!

It's the original movie, in HD, with some minor adjustments (color, contrast, etc.) but NOTHING NEW, NOTHING REDONE.

For a concrete exemple, they darkened the unrealisitc crowd matte in the final scene. That's effective!

In The Special Edition, I have nothing against the effects that have been corrected (like the contrast in space, the force field under speeder or the crowd in the final scene) they are really good additions. But I just can't bare the things that's been added (the CGI Dewbaks, Greedo shoot first, Jabba, the arrival at Moss Esley, Cantina scene, etc.)

So, without reissuing the real true original movie, can Disney just issue a version where the major defaults are corrected, but where NOTHING IS ADDED, is that possible???

No, they should fix some of the effects oddities. Like the transparency issues of the snow speeders on Hoth.

I agree.

I could not return to the true original versions, they contains too much "effects oddities". There is a minimum to adjust.

The Emperor slugs, we don't want to see them anymore, mercy.... :rolleyes:

No, they should fix some of the effects oddities. Like the transparency issues of the snow speeders on Hoth.

Then it wouldn't be the original unaltered Star wars films, but just oh-another-tweaked-version-added-to-the-dozens-we-have.

Did Spielberg "fix" any of the effects on E.T. for the Bluray?

No.

Then this is how it should be here too.

Did Spielberg "fix" any of the effects on E.T. for the Bluray?

No.

Then this is how it should be here too.

THERE is a SE of E.T.. with new effects added. Walkie-Talkies in the hands of policemen instead of guns, new CGI E.T. scenes, etc.

But like Stefancos wrote, there was no big issues concerning special effects in E.T. (1982), like there was in (EDIT for Stefancos) Star Wars (1977).

The more I look at it (and I've asked others) those lightsabers are definitely from 2004 at the earliest. I've also heard that this project was undertaken before the sale to Disney (probably for the 3D releases) so this is most likely the 2011 editions that are being done and not the theatricals.