Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

I'd rather them go with Zimmer than Silvestri. Silvestri has gotten relatively boring over the years and his "Cosmos" was one of the worst cases of overscoring I've seen in a while. If Zimmer brings his A-Game (and doesn't rely on any silly gimmicks like the TASM2/Pharrell Williams massacre) this could be something really special.

As for John Williams, I'd rather have him continue with the new Star Wars trilogy (especially with the prospect of working with a new director like Riann Johnson who seems to take a radical approach to music) than jump to a whole new franchise. Plus, it's very unlikely. Like a 1% chance.

I believe that JNH is the best choice for this project.

Fanboy glee aside, is this an assignment that anyone wishes upon a talented composer? Horner soldiered through but working with Cameron seems more of an baptism by his tin ears and the results aren't anything to write home about.

JNH deserves better, surely.

Fanboy glee aside, is this an assignment that anyone wishes upon a talented composer? Horner soldiered through but working with Cameron seems more of an baptism by his tin ears and the results aren't anything to write home about.

JNH deserves better, surely.

Horner came through his enormous effort of developing the sound for Avatar sounding like all the scores from his previous decade from Four Feathers to Apocalypto to New World really and a bit of Zimmer temp-track thrown into the mix in Gathering the All the Na'Vi Clans for Battle. Since I had not heard any of those scores prior to that made the experience rather palatable and enjoyable on album at that time.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As expected after the announcement about Episode 8, Avatar 2 won't be ready by December 2017; release date undetermined as of now.

James Cameron's process is one of the craziest things in Hollywood history. This thing will probably make like 5 billion.

Unless he's found some sort of revolutionary new storytelling technique, I can't imagine the new trilogy will come close to the box office receipts the first one did.  Avatar 2 will make a billion, then 3 and 4 will make less and less.  Star Wars and Superhero movies will rule during the time, not Avatar movies.  It doesn't even have comics, books, and tv shows to keep interest going between films like Star Wars and all the superhero franchises have.

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

And Alice In Wonderland more than a billion! Fuck's sake. That's why box-office results don't mean a damn thing, and I'm still not sure why people care about those!

The film's revenue means the difference between getting a sequel or no sequel.

I was shit scared that Godzilla's anaemic domestic revenue would mean the studio would probably decide to not pursue any further films. But by some miracle, they decided to make a whole bloody cinematic universe from it!

But if the movie made any less than what it did, I doubt it would have happened.

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I doubt that. In fact, I doubt the sequel will make as much as the first film, which really benefited from the whole 3D hype.

I was being tongue-in-cheek of course, but history shows we underestimate James Cameron at our own peril....

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Sure, but most movies get a sequel these days anyway, and people seem to follow the BO results of these films for some reason.

I mean, why follow the box-office results of Star Wars, for example? Do people really fear it won't get a sequel? Or is it more because they want to say something like: "Wow! It made over a billion dollars! I was right! It's a great film because it made a shitload of money!"?

But many don't because they underperformed.

And as for flicks like SW, it comes back to sport mentality. People like seeing new things break old records and gain bragging rights for their preferred team or brand. I like it.

Sigh, I wish we go back to making movies for people without that 'sports mentality'. Yesterday, or the day before that, there was this so-called important award ceremony for Belgian music artists. Of course, they are making a whole televised show about it: "And the winner is  ... !" "The best group of the year is ....!" It's like the Olympics! And the 'winners' are actually very happy to be the winner. I mean, they all act cool and alternative but not one of them has the balls to say: "I might have sold more records but I'm not better than you. Screw this award!"

Alex

1 hour ago, Drax said:

But many don't because they underperformed.

"Many"? Come on. How many movies in recent years that were meant to get a sequel didn't get one because of BO results? It must be 10 at best!

Let's be honest, apart from a few exceptions, most people follow BO results for that sports mentality you mentioned, not because they're worried a film they liked won't get a sequel.

21 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

"Many"? Come on. How many movies in recent years that were meant to get a sequel didn't get one because of BO results? It must be 10 at best!

Let's be honest, apart from a few exceptions, most people follow BO results for that sports mentality you mentioned, not because they're worried a film they liked won't get a sequel.

I really wanted a sequel to John Carter...

On 1/22/2016 at 1:11 PM, BloodBoal said:

And Alice In Wonderland more than a billion! Fuck's sake. That's why box-office results don't mean a damn thing, and I'm still not sure why people care about those!

Only because it was the first major picture coming off the 3D high of Avatar.

And yes, box-office results have nothing to do with picture quality, but the industry continues to use it as a standard for greenlighting sequels.

• 2 weeks later...
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 8:47 AM, KK. said:

But hey, let's face it. If any one of you were nominated, you'd want it, bad.

Well, sure, it taps into our vanity and desire to be popular.  It has barely anything to do with artistic legitimacy.

I'll take an Avatar sequel of Captain America 3: The Winter Solider 2: Prelude to War of the Gods any day.  If only to see how Cameron advances film technology or at least tries.  Plus Hans Zimmer's score should be interesting.