Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

True. Cameron, brilliant director, very pedestrian screen writer.

It sort of adds to his movies' charm for me.  Avatar wouldn't be Avatar without the wooden dialogue and simple characters, and I'm totally fine with that.  

19 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Why do people hate the love story? Is it a macho man thing? Does it upset their fragile masculinity?

I don't care for it because I'm much more interested in the other stuff going on.

That love story distracts from the real life historical maritime catastrophe.

The movie never pretends to be anything other than a love story though.  The ship is a setting; its sinking creates the drama for our ill-fated couple.  It would be like getting mad at Die Hard for not properly developing the Nakatomi Plaza as a character.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

"If I wanted to see something about the real life historical maritime catastrophe, I'd watch a documentary!" - Someone

Hehe.

Doesn't mean a good movie can't be made out of it though.

And a few years after seeing Titanic, I discovered that a good movie WAS made out of it: "A Night to Remember".

Bit old though and they got some of the facts wrong because they weren't yet known at the time they made that movie. :P

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

The movie never pretends to be anything other than a love story though.  The ship is a setting; its sinking creates the drama for our ill-fated couple.  It would be like getting mad at Die Hard for not properly developing the Nakatomi Plaza as a character.

Fair point. The movie really isn't about the Titanic and, if taken as an unrelated and different story altogether, it is probably very well done.

After all, they must have done SOMETHING right, considering the film's popularity!

But of course with me being me and my interests being what they are, when you name a movie literally "Titanic", I end up expecting to see something about the Titanic.

Which isn't what it is.

I wonder if an alternate title could have been chosen that would have fit more accurately.

After all, "Die Hard" wasn't titled "Nakatomi Plaza" either. ;)

The love story is the focus, but Cameron constantly cuts away to the rest of the ship's population and in many cases uses the fictional characters to feature the real people who were aboard. It's brilliant. You can tell he really dug on the operations of the ship and the crew but was restricted by the nature of the story. But many of those people have recurring roles.

9 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

And a few years after seeing Titanic, I discovered that a good movie WAS made out of it: "A Night to Remember".

Bit old though and they got some of the facts wrong because they weren't yet known at the time they made that movie. :P

Thank you, Pieter! I was waiting for someone to mention ANTR. In almost every way, it's a better film, than TITANIC.

On 28/04/2017 at 7:23 AM, Stefancos said:

True. Cameron, brilliant director, very pedestrian screen writer.

16 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Like Lucas, right? Right?

He's pedestrian at both. Lucas is a pioneering mind who happened to pour his imagination into filmmaking. 

17 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

"Pedestrian" must be JWfan's favourite word. What's your obsession with crossing the street?

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

In the wake of Drax's post, we should all try harder to not say 'pedestrian'. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

You need to be not quite so pedestrian with your reply speed. 

I'm walking away from this conversation.

Stumbled on this old interview, I like this quote!

Q: Is the pressure of having a “pre-awareness” title increasingly encroaching on what you want to do as a filmmaker?

Cameron: I just think it’s not a coincidence that the people who make those movies are not being honored. ... The only reason we’re sitting in this room is because everybody in here is doing distinctive, original stuff. Iconoclastic stuff, whatever it is, and not some stupid number six in a series.

o1jpxm1g805m.gif

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Franchises are redundant but these sequels seem beyond redundant. 

Who actually wants to see these?

Cameron, his friends, & his cat.

Just now, Jay said:

Tell us why

The world building of the first film is great (yeah, a couple of names like "Unobtanium" are dumb but that's part of the charm) and has lots of potential for expansion, James Cameron has a knack for emotionally charged broad strokes storytelling (a quality that's practically non-existant in today's directors), action direction, and sequels.  

I am certainly willing to go into it with an open mind, I'm not pre-determined to hate it at all.

Its just hard to see it making any kind of splash in the current blockbuster world.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

I was completely indifferent to the first movie, but I would never bet agains Cameron

Pretty much my feelings too. I'm intrigued for the second one at least since it's bound to be uniquely dazzling filmmaking for at least some substantial stretch and we all know Cameron's not gonna do anything without doing it big. I am sure I'll be surprised by it somehow, technically if nothing else. But I do wonder about its ability to make me want several more hours of this story, since the first film didn't do that.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

All these years later I still find his Avatar score boring.  Can't get into it

It's Horner desperately struggling getting a bit of style into the mechanical blockbuster trappings, with very limited success.