Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Juh-juh-juh-Jia!

Were chia pet commercials a thing outside the US?

Not over here I don't think. 

im familiar with the jingle from a joke from when I used to listen to Rebel Force Radio.

If Cameron goes with Gia then all truly is lost.

Cameron, Lucas, and Spielberg. When one of them falls the battle has been lost .

6 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

If Cameron goes with Gia then all truly is lost.

That would kill 100% of my interest in the film.  I still haven't bothered to watch Rogue One for that reason (and likely never will)

2 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

What's the likelihood of Lucas making another movie, let alone hiring Dunkaccino?

Slim to none. But things work better in threes so I stuck him in!

On 10/08/2017 at 9:35 PM, Jay said:

Nobody I know.

Nobody I know even re-watches the original ever.

I tried to re-watch it, the other night. I got as far as "where's my goddamn cigarette?", and I thought "fuck this turd".

If I watched it again, I'd watch it for one reason: Giovanni Ribisi is a brilliant actor, and he was great as Wade. I'd watch his work, anywhere. I hope he returns, as it might just make the sequels bearable.

17 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

No there wouldn't.  I'd rather have a proper "bad score" than a bland one.  

While I respect your opinion, I cannot disagree with you more. (It's a polite way of saying "bullshit" :P)

On a more serious note, I can see where you're getting from. I too would be pretty disappointed by a score that could have been great but is just "meh" because of work overload. But with Avatar, there's enough visuals and character to have fun with the score.

On 8/11/2017 at 4:53 AM, BloodBoal said:

Silvestri, I guess (he scored The Abyss for Cameron, even if that was a long time ago), Brad Fiedel (though I highly doubt that), Zimmer or some RCP alumnus.

I'd say Silvestri has the strongest chance, particularly now that Spielberg has opted to use him.

Are these films still going to be in HFR 3D or has the fad of that been killed by The Hobbit?

8 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

What's the likelihood of Lucas making another movie, let alone hiring Dunkaccino?

Probably not great but I really hope he makes and releases (in some capacity) a weird little art-house personal film that He's been teasing us with since ROTS. I'd like to see another small film from Coppola too. 

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Whats the point of that?

To simeoultaneoualy satisfy his artistic needs of filmic expression and avoid public ridicule?

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

If I was an actor you'd have to pay me pretty handsomely to appear in a film some rich old retiree will only ever show to his rich old friends.

I too wondered about the production of those films. Like, I can see someone wanting to do it for free just for the experience but it couldn't have been anyone notable. We would have known about it.

But he said this in some red carpet interview at the premiere of The Force Awakens. Of course, he could have been completely bullshitting the reporter, he didn't seem too happy to be there. 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Richard said:

That would be a great film. And how do I know this? Because my name...is Max!

The image above is actually not a hoax, nor really a joke either.

It's totally from an actual "film". Or rather, TV series special episode.

But you may of course already know that. ;)

On 8/12/2017 at 3:37 PM, Koray Savas said:

Lucas said he has made those films, but only shows them to his friends and won't distribute them. 

On 8/13/2017 at 7:02 AM, Disco Stu said:

If I was an actor you'd have to pay me pretty handsomely to appear in a film some rich old retiree will only ever show to his rich old friends.

We don't know that these supposed films would even be narrative, per se. Maybe they're just video collages of birds in his backyard set to Holst and Stravinsky. Or conspiracy theory documentaries where he narrates little manifestos over downloads from LiveLeak and Google Images.

12 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

The image above is actually not a hoax, nor really a joke either.

It's totally from an actual "film". Or rather, TV series special episode.

But you may of course already know that. ;)

Really? And there was li'l ole me thinking it was a documentary :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say Simon Franglen has the most realistic chance of scoring this, because not only is he intimately familiar with the Na'vi musical landscape, having designed a lot of it with James Horner, but also worked (with Horner and then of course continued on after his death) on Cameron and Disneyworld's Pandora: The World Of Avatar attraction.

If 2017's The Mummy, starring Tom Cruise and widely considered a bomb and an awful movie in the US, can get to $400 million in worldwide gross then yeah, Avatar 2 should have no problems getting to 800.

Of all the old war horses of Hollywood, Cameron is the one who knows what he's doing. Being hell-bent on technology has always served him well (and the audience, at least the first time they see the movie).

These are capricious imho's. Most people back in 2009 were stunned - even if it was a (deliberately) simplistic, even dumb movie. But like Barnum or Demille, Cameron knows exactly what he owes his audience. Which is why i don't think we should write off these movies like braindead studio tentpoles.

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

These are capricious imho's.

I wouldn't really call it capricious.  I disliked it when I saw it, and I've held that opinion consistently for 8 years.  My own experience is more important to me than general audience reactions.

Was it a phenomenon?  Yes.  But in the words of Woody Allen, so is acid rain.

To you perhaps, but why should anyone here care? It's just a tiny notch above posting shopping lists to inform the board that you didn't care for a particular movie without any stimulating thought attached.