Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Avatar was neat to see in IMAX 3D. It was an experience, for sure. Worth the $15. It was like going on a 3D Disney ride, before it was ever considered making Avatar an actual Disney ride. Plus, it had a new Horner score. But after that one ride, I wasn't rushing back to do it again. Meanwhile, I've been taking the journey on Titanic for nearly 20 years now.

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You reap what you sow, condescending cunt.

This was very immature of me and I apologize to the moderating team of JWFan.  I shouldn't have let him get to me.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

If Burton's Alice In Wonderland can get a billion worldwide...

If the Beauty And The Beast live-action rerelease can get a billion worldwide...

If the fuckin' Minions movie can get a billion worldwide...

The billion mark doesn't mean anything anymore. The last time a movie reaching a billion meant something was for The Return Of The King! ("said the LOTR fanboy!" I don't care. Fuck you, you and all of your kind.).

Sad.  But true.

14 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The billion mark doesn't mean anything anymore.

Well, it certainly doesn't mean anything artistically speaking, but it's still a solid benchmark for the general box office success of a movie relative to its competition.  The billion dollar mark won't measure up once the majority of films reach that peak more consistently.

9 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Well, it certainly doesn't mean anything artistically speaking, but it's still a solid benchmark for the generally box office success of a movie relative to its competition.  The billion dollar mark won't measure up once the majority of films reach that peak more consistently.

But that's the thing: more and more films are reaching that peak. It's not yet "consistently", but it's definitely getting easier for movies to reach it (3D of course helps in that regard).

True.  The foreign market also is very important, probably the most important, in terms of reaching that mark.  Because Avatar was a global phenomenon, that goes a long way in securing its sequels with box office success.  Many of these big superhero movies end up doing very well, don't get me wrong, but not all of them latch onto the global psyche in the same way.   Though we're slowly getting to the point where ticket prices are forcing that box office average up to where a billion isn't as mindboggling as it was 20 years ago when Titanic reached it.

Oh dear. First reaction was, what the hell are you doing Jim? Hook 2-esque!

Then it occurred to me what he did with Carrie Henn in Aliens and Ed Furlong in T2. Both of those decisions must have been head-scratchers for fans of Alien and T1 but he proved everyone wrong.

Still, talk about an awful Disney Channel photoshoot.

I suspect Kate will be taking over for Sigourney in the role of beloved actress from a previous beloved Cameron movie to make it feel more like a beloved Cameron movie. I hope she smokes!

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, crumbs said:

Then it occurred to me what he did with Carrie Henn in Aliens and Ed Furlong in T2. Both of those decisions must have been head-scratchers for fans of Alien and T1 but he proved everyone wrong.

In what way?  Furlong is terrible and by far the most annoying aspect of the film.  The fact that he was front and center made it worse.  No one loves T2 because of his character.  He's simply a part of the movie that you overlook to enjoy the rest of it.

As far as Newt is concerned, she was young and cute enough, without a ton of dialogue, to be effective for what she represented in the film, which was to give Ripley a mother/daughter dynamic.  She's not exactly a major force in terms of screen time.

In both of these cases, the first films are superior.  While Cameron changed the style, and made good films, he didn't prove anyone wrong any anything.

I liked young John Connor as a kid, but then I grew up. I still think he's funny for nostalgic reasons, but I understand the criticism. Still, he was supposed to be a white kid in Los Angeles in the early 90s. Seems about right. And his relationship with the Terminator is super charming.

Fun fact of the day: I still love James Cameron even though he's a wackjob now. And so do you.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It will be a natural extension of all the themes, and the characters, and the spiritual undercurrents. Basically, if you loved the first movie, you’re gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you’re probably gonna hate these. If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you’re probably gonna love these.

So I'm going to hate it at first and then love it? 

• 4 months later...