Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Well, Avatar is not only getting two but three follow-ups. Fox and Lightstorm Entertainment will release Avatar 2 December 2016, Avatar 3 December 2017, and the third one in December 2018. Production will begin next year, and director James Cameron has enlisted some high profile writers to co-write the follow-ups. (He'll be directing all three pics too.)

Josh Friedman (The Sarah Connor Chronicles) will do Avatar 2.

Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) are penning Avatar 3.

Shane Salerno (Savages) is doing Avatar 4.

Source.

Wrong!

Jackson decided to make three films while he was actually shooting The Hobbit.

Glad that he is bringing in other writers.

Oh whatever.

Avatar 2, 3 and 4 doesn't make much of an impression as a thread title. ;)

Oh and this clip sounds really familiar:

Building upon the world we created with Avatar has been a rare and incredibly rewarding experience. In writing the new films, I've come to realize that Avatar's world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, and it became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen.

Karol

At least Cameron is getting other writers to polish his clunky dialogue. But Shane Salerno... seriously? Cameron must be a closet Alien vs. Predator: Requiem fan.

Wrong!

Jackson decided to make three films while he was actually shooting The Hobbit.

Glad that he is bringing in other writers.

Completely false, he decided while editing the first one.

Well at least you won't have to worry about buying the scores. The sequel material is already on the first album.

Yeah I'm not on board for this either.

The first one, while enjoyable, was way overrated IMO (critically and financially). I might see a second just for the cool visuals and music, but I'll probably stay away.

I'm curious about this film, as it seems to have completely disappeared from pop culture since 2008. Surprising for the top grossing movie of all time. I wonder how well the sequels will do. Granted, the first one had literally no following since it wasn't a part of a pre-existing franchise (unless Disney's Pocahontas series counts :P), so we'll see.

Yeah, I'm very cold to the idea of more Avatar at this point. This franchise has no staying power. I'm sure all the sequels will be at least moderate successes, though.

The first one, while enjoyable, was way overrated IMO (critically and financially). I might see a second just for the cool visuals and music, but I'll probably stay away.

I'm curious about this film, as it seems to have completely disappeared from pop culture since 2008. Surprising for the top grossing movie of all time. I wonder how well the sequels will do. Granted, the first one had literally no following since it wasn't a part of a pre-existing franchise (unless Disney's Pocahontas series counts :P), so we'll see.

Considering that Avatar came out in 2009 I am more convinced of how little impact it made on you. ;)

And I could not care less for the sequels.

Is it now so fashionable to say "I'm not bothered by the sequel to the biggest blockbuster of all time"? ;)

Karol

No no it is all a bluff and you called it. Underneath we are in reality trying to contain ourselves and stay in our skins because the prospect of sequels for Avatars is so enticing that we might burst at the seams with joy. ;)

Hey, come on, guys. Avatar was clearly one of the greatest films of all time. How else could it be the highest-grossing film ever (before inflation)? This should definitely happen so we can all revisit that world and the characters we love so much. I for one can't wait for the Disney theme park attraction. What a perfect fit, right? A movie about hippie scientists saving savage aliens from the military while a soldier telepathically links with one of the alien bodies and uses it to fuck a female alien. With guns and a robot holding a giant knife.

Its ridiculous success aside, it is actually a bit better directed and realized than most blockbusters, so I can't see why I would be treated any different than other stuff out there. That's all I'm saying.

Karol

Is it now so fashionable to say "I'm not bothered by the sequel to the biggest blockbuster of all time"? ;)

Karol

No no it is all a bluff and you called it. Underneath we are in reality trying to contain ourselves and stay in our skins because the prospect of sequels for Avatars is so enticing that we might burst at the seams with joy. ;)

I blew my cock of just thinking about it!

Hey, come on, guys. Avatar was clearly one of the greatest films of all time. How else could it be the highest-grossing film ever (before inflation)?

This doesn't make sense.

My bad, I didn't read further than that line. I know some people happen to think that way. I'm relieved it was said in a facetious fashion.

Alex

I'm just anxious to see what James Cameron does on a technical level. You can be absolutely sure that some people will criticize him for his story, a few fools will criticize him for his story telling. Then there will those who say it doesn't look that good, or the 3D really isnt THAT impressive. Will he be the one that succeeds where PJ failed in more fps?

of course past success does not guarantee future success.

Hmm, that's interesting. There will be HFR films in theaters in December of 2012, 2013, and 2014 for The Hobbit series. There will be HFR films in theaters in December of 2016, 2017, and 2018 for the Avatar sequels.

But what about 2015? Any HFR films gonna slide in there?

I found the IMAX version of The Hobbit I went to a much better upgrade over the "standard" version I saw opening night, than the HFR upgrade.

2D was best. I wish I could have seen it in IMAX 2D, but all the IMAX screens in New England showed it in IMAX 3D only.

I only saw The Hobbit in 3D HFR IMAX in the cinema, but truth be told, I found watchng The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX earlier that year a much more immersive experience. That movie made much better use of the IMAX format (as did its predecessor). It also took me a while to get used to the HFR. For the first ten minutes, it looked like the movie was being played in fast forward.

I only saw The Hobbit in 3D HFR IMAX in the cinema, but truth be told, I found watchng The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX earlier that year a much more immersive experience. That movie made much better use of the IMAX format (as did its predecessor). It also took me a while to get used to the HFR. For the first ten minutes, it looked like the movie was being played in fast forward.

Amen to that. The Dark Knight Rises was amazing in IMAX. Dizzying at first but in an exciting way.

When I saw it later on a normal screen, it felt like a television set.

2D was best. I wish I could have seen it in IMAX 2D, but all the IMAX screens in New England showed it in IMAX 3D only.

I can't recall having heard anything about 2D IMAX version. Thought it was 3D only.

Karol