Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

I wonder how the production of the 3rd film specifically is going. There are strikes yes, but would Cameron participate as a writer now living in New Zealand? The entire 3rd and 4th film are written in full scripts and are mostly filmed. I believe all of 3 and 80% of 4. So surely WETA are working right now on finished shots. 

I don't see how the situation in Hollywood can stop the production of the 3rd film specifically. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Tydirium said:

I forgot all about this! The part starting at 4:31 sounds really cool; I hope they release a soundtrack album! Sounds like this may fit nicely in the Horner/Franglen canon.

Respectfully, I disagree based on this small snippet. It doesn’t sound like it fits the textural soundscape or harmonic language of the Avatar movies to my ear at all. It’s like they wrote a checklist of what they think “Avatar” is - ethnic flutes, brash female vocals and hand percussion - but did it in a very predictable way. And I say this as someone who is a fan of Pinar Toprak, I think she’s very talented. 

I’ll reserve judgement until I hear the whole score - only time and a full listen will tell whether it enhances and enriches the Avatar canon. 

45 minutes ago, midgemania said:

Respectfully, I disagree based on this small snippet. It doesn’t sound like it fits the textural soundscape or harmonic language of the Avatar movies to my ear at all. It’s like they wrote a checklist of what they think “Avatar” is - ethnic flutes, brash female vocals and hand percussion - but did it in a very predictable way. And I say this as someone who is a fan of Pinar Toprak, I think she’s very talented. 

I’ll reserve judgement until I hear the whole score - only time and a full listen will tell whether it enhances and enriches the Avatar canon. 

I see where you’re coming from; I admit it’s entirely possible that my expectations for these sorts of things have been so lowered in recent years, that part of me didn’t even expect them to check off the boxes of that checklist.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, LSH said:

Yes, Cameron, move onto something else… please!

Titanic 2: A New Boat? True Lies 2? Or what about another version of Terminator 3, that once again will ignore everything that came after T2? :lol:

Google's wisdom about Avatar 5... oh boy.

The next installment in the "Avatar" franchise.

Initial release: 19 December 2031

The man's nearly 70. I say let him continue doing them considering they're providing a good music canvas. Better than another shitty Terminator sequel.

If we get 5 Cameron movies, I doubt anyone else will be able to find a compelling way to create even more Avatar films, even based on his story ideas. These films rely too heavily on his unique brand of movie magic. I hope we get a good conclusion at the end of Cameron's series, so any followups can be safely ignored.