Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Am I the only one who thinks that Avatar... wow, that's an old story... the momentum on these big blue puppets had passed a long time ago... It's too late for those sequels, they will be total commercial failures.

So what is it about Titanic that is so good? I watched it once and, considering the subject matter, I should like it a lot.

Except they diluted the subject matter so much with a silly love story that the actual subject matter barely mattered!

Maaaaaybe I watched it with a slightly different mindset than... pretty much everyone else... :P

On 22-4-2017 at 5:37 PM, Selina Kyle said:

That's not my Cameron. Now my Cameron, I've seen whole studios turn and run away. And he'd just swagger off back to his Titanic and open the doors with a snap of his fingers.

I see what you did there! Well played. :D

I'm cynical about these like everybody else, but I also fear James Cameron. I fear what he has become over the last decade....we're back in this same pattern of mocking him for years while he toils away at his silly precious ambitions. Will we ever learn??

54aad0a3c4cce5eb458eda4ae5ea930f16baa5d5

22 hours ago, Richard said:

I'd love to watch CLEOPATRA, and the GODFATHER trilogy at the cinema.

If I never have to sit through Cleopatra again it'll be too soon.

The reason why Avatar did so well commercially was the novelty of the cutting-edge technology used in the film. Since the new Avatar movies will most likely be utilizing that same tech, the novelty won't be there, and people aren't going to flock to see them like the first film. They'll likely be big hits in theaters, but their final earnings won't come close to the box office receipts of the original.

What James Cameron does, he does for the human race. He's not called JC for nothing. 

28 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

If I never have to sit through Cleopatra again it'll be too soon.

What are you talking about, Bell?!

CLEOPATRA is brilliant!

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

Cameron's storytelling has never been much good, but he's such an expert at execution and the technical side of filmmaking that all of his films are great.

I can't agree with this at all. We didn't spend hours simply appreciating the technical aspects and "execution" of the Terminators, Aliens and Titanic...?

7 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

I can't agree with this at all. We didn't spend hours simply appreciating the technical aspects and "execution" of the Terminators, Aliens and Titanic...?

Some have.

Having seen every Cameron movie (including Terminator, Aliens, and the lesser second Terminator) except for The Abyss and apparently Pirhana 2, I feel comfortable saying that he takes some sincerely dumb scripts and makes great movies out of them.

I could never get into The Abyss. It's this bloated production with impressive underwater setpieces, but the pacing of the film loses my attention and the characters aren't all that engaging. Then finally Silvestri wakes me up about 15 minutes before it's over.

I actually disagree with that.  Avatar moves along just fine and the last battle was truly thrilling.  I've always found The Abyss gripping. 

I've cooled on Titanic over the years.

I've probably seen The Abyss the most of the three over the years. A flawed and dangerously long movie, but it still has plenty of brilliance in there. Actually, it was probably the last great 'first contact' movie I saw. Oh no wait that was Europa Report. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Listening to Interstellar. Hans Zimmer should score the Avatar sequels! His style feels just right for Cameron. And he would challenge Hans, who has become a bit lazy!

TGP! You agree?

I don't know if I want Hans to be involved with the dreck that is Avatar!

Hans Zimmer would be perfect for the Avatar sequels.  I can see it appealing to both his modern experimental side and a throwback to his more orchestral 90's style (The Lion King, The Prince of Egypt, Cool Runnings).  

There was a bit of Zimmer in Horner's Avatar to begin with so the change in style wouldn't be too drastic.  

On 4/26/2017 at 1:56 PM, Godzilla said:

But Titanic manages something the other two don't, it's engaging and feels shorter than its actual runtime. Abyss and Avatar are a slog.

I've been a quiet defender of Titanic for a long time. For all its flaws, I find it a moving and effective telling of what happened that night.

Wish it didn't have the love story though.

5 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Why do people hate the love story? Is it a macho man thing? Does it upset their fragile masculinity?

The actors sell it, the screenplay is...impenetrably coarse, to put it mildly. One of the big regrets with a perfectionist (and futurist) like Cameron is how easily he forgives himself bad writing. Think of Peter Jackson without his two dames reigning him in on his excesses...