Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

4 hours ago, Sharky said:

But the third is the best of the lot!

You mean the one where Kay after having seen hell incarnate at the hands of her husband and his empire completely and willingly goes back to him for no apparent reason? 

5 hours ago, John said:

Here's my offer on these movies: Nothing. Not even the price of my popcorn, which I'd appreciate if Cameron put up personally.

• 6 months later...

I have no interest in these movies but seeing the Marvel fanboys bitch about their existence on twitter has made me decide I'm going to see them. Maybe even give the first one another chance. 

Fuck it, it's Jim Cameron. I'll take his poor attempt at creating a Star Wars like franchise over this infestation of Superhero shite any day of the weak. And twice on Sundays! 

I'm sorry Jim, all is forgiven! 

Avatar 2 will absolutely be a financial success.

The BO performances of 3 and 4 depend almost entirely on the reception of their predecessor.

They'll all be hits.

Its as sure to make money as Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm was.

If there's something James Cameron does well, than - more than anything to do with storytelling - he knows how to make money.

The next four Avatar movies will have unique titles 

The Way of Water is due 12.18.2020

https://twitter.com/Fandango/status/1058397187149750272

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The next four Avatar movies will have unique titles 

The Way of Water is due 12.18.2020

https://twitter.com/Fandango/status/1058397187149750272

So like Star Trek V, Avatar V will be the search for God?

But since so much of these films is pure CG and will be added later - does it matter that the live action is being shot concurrently?

I have the same issue with Avengers 3/4 - so much of that is CG that to say that the live action was all shot simultaneously isn’t saying much.

Well, when they say “shooting is finished” does that include mo-cap?

Anyway I have no attachment to the first one but I will see the sequel and probably generate some excitement when it gets closer. It’s James Cameron busting back on the scene after another 10 years of technological advances, he’s bound to have some tricks up his sleeve. 3-5 won’t have that novelty at which point it’s a gamble if these are actually interesting. 

On November 3, 2018 at 9:09 AM, Stefancos said:

I still think Zimmer would be the best composer to succeed Horner on this.

Hans Zimmer would probably write a five note easy to loop theme, then get Wallfisch and Balfe to do the rest, all the while taking credit for the album.

13 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Still, atmospheric jungle music by Powell...tempting...

So...Solo:A Star Wars Story music by John Powell.

18 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Hans Zimmer would probably write a five note easy to loop theme, then get Wallfisch and Balfe to do the rest, all the while taking credit for the album.

I reckon if ZImmer took this on he'd do it himself. I think he tends to do that when the project looks interesting or intellectually important.

My hope is for Powell. JNH second.

On 11/4/2018 at 3:22 AM, Chen G. said:

But since so much of these films is pure CG and will be added later - does it matter that the live action is being shot concurrently?

I have the same issue with Avengers 3/4 - so much of that is CG that to say that the live action was all shot simultaneously isn’t saying much.

Avatar 1 was an animated film. As animated as any Pixar movie. Avatar 1 had some live action elements but it otherwise is an animated film.

Same with the sequels. If they submit Avatar for best animated film at the academy, it would be eligible.

Just now, TheUlyssesian said:

Avatar 1 had some live action elements but it otherwise is an animated film.

And that's the thing: will its sequels even feature live action, at all?