Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

2 hours ago, The Original said:

What makes people so certain it'll bomb?

People must be on some illegal substance of some kind.

If there's one thing James Cameron knows how to do, its how to make boatloads of money. He just knows.

Doubt him at your own risk, folks.

A sensible Chen Post. 

People thought Ti-Tanic would bomb especially when it was delayed from Summer to Winter. It still has the 2nd best record for being #1 at the boxoffice weekly. 15 records(E.T. holds the record at 16), that isn't likely to be equaled in this new era.

Then Avatar came out. It has some script issue but it delivered one of the most visually stunning films of all time. Unlike many films with "special effects" it actually raised the bar significantly and it was in stunning 3D. Still there were/are detractors. Our own Koray smelled a bomb, he also said fried potatoes tastes like french fries(I am playfully picking on Koray, he is a very generous nice guy). 

Avatar 2 will wow us visually. It will raise the bar again on effects and bring us closer to glassless 3D. Will the script be better. LETS Hope. It will now be 12 years between pictures so the script should be better, but we all remember KOTCS. And with Horner's death Cameron has worried about the film's music. 

Time will tell.

I somehow doubt Cameron would hire him for such a high-profile gig, though.  Franglen's fine for doing the Avatar theme park music, but they'll want someone more notable for the films.

19 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

People thought Ti-Tanic would bomb 

The way you wrote 'Titanic' made me think of 'Bi-Tanic' then we'd definitely have a different film altogether with Jack falling for Billy Zane's character.

I never understood the Avatar thing.  Movie was fine, but the buckets of money it made were baffling to me.  And then I didn't understand the Disney park section based on it, but apparently that place is always packed.  So I'm willing to put aside my befuddlement and agree that these sequels will probably make a ton of money.

Wouldn’t surprise me at this point if Cameron has perfected his dream of glasses-free 3D and plans on implementing it for the sequel. 

Music-wise, a key question might be whether Cameron will consider a composer per film, or whether he wants to find someone to commit to all of the sequels.

Franglen is capable I'm sure, but for a franchise this expensive and prolific, he's going to want an actual name.

But how do they do it with the screens and projectors they have now?  Even a mod on the existing hardware with a new high-tech lens would likely be cost-prohibitive for most theaters.

If Cameron IS planning on releasing Avatar 2 in glass-less 3D, it certainly wouldn't be a universal thing on every screening, it'd probably only be available in limited markets like Hobbit in HFR was

11 hours ago, KK said:

The novelty of it is over. But 3D is clearly here to stay. It's essentially the new default form to see a major blockbuster.

Shortly after it's introduction (maybe 2010-2011) it became known within the industry as a "tax," more or less. Shooting in 3D (the ideal) became abandoned for post-processing it (the norm - it's basically entirely post-processed anymore, almost nobody shoots it natively) because the cost to post-process was cheaper than shooting natively and the ticket bump stayed the same. Hence: "Tax." 

3D is going to stick around because if they can tax a percentage of the audience they will, but I believe the market has evened out. In the immediate post-Avatar heyday 3D screenings of big blockbusters outnumbered 2D by something like 3-1? It's much closer to a 50/50 mix now, and anecdotally, my local Regals/AMCs have reversed the 3D ratio entirely: There's almost always twice as many 2D screenings as 3D. They haven't removed the 3D screenings, but they're no longer prioritized.

But then again, theater owners have figured out other methods to apply steeper "taxes" to the ticket. IMAX, Atmos, IMAX 3D, D-Box, Luxury Seats, Luxury + Dinner, so on and so forth. 

I think that unless Cameron can not only crack glasses-free 3D but get theater owners to absorb the cost of installing projectors that can do it on a massive scale, we're not going to see any sort of resurgence or appreciation of 3D (and definitely not HFR, which audiences have pretty thoroughly rejected at every turn) that will help bolster the film at the box-office. 

For the first time since 1997, he's gonna have to rely on the strength of his story and the quality of his craftsmanship to keep people coming back to the theater. Technological advancements have proceeded to the point where photorealistic depictions of fantastical creatures are more or less just accepted. These characters will NEED to occupy space in the public consciousness in order for the sequels to stick. Avatar was an event. The Avatar sequels need to be a lot more than just that. I'm not saying he's not capable of that, either. Before Avatar and the deep sea took primary control of his fancy, that was almost exactly what he WAS known for: putting very memorable characters smack in the middle of adventure stories that were some of the most technically impressive things you'd seen. He can do it, he's done it before. And he'll have to do it again to make up for whatever 3D novelty aspect helped him the first time around. 

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

The way you wrote 'Titanic' made me think of 'Bi-Tanic' then we'd definitely have a different film altogether with Jack falling for Billy Zane's character.

Don't talk about bisexuals in front of Joe!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've been enjoying glass-less 3D on my Nintendo 3DS for 7 years

On miniscule screens not a movie theatre.

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Don't talk about bisexuals in front of Joe!

The Ti-tanic is a play on Tin-Tin

4 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

A sensible Chen Post. 

People thought Ti-Tanic would bomb especially when it was delayed from Summer to Winter. It still has the 2nd best record for being #1 at the boxoffice weekly. 15 records(E.T. holds the record at 16), that isn't likely to be equaled in this new era.

Then Avatar came out. It has some script issue but it delivered one of the most visually stunning films of all time. Unlike many films with "special effects" it actually raised the bar significantly and it was in stunning 3D. Still there were/are detractors. Our own Koray smelled a bomb, he also said fried potatoes tastes like french fries(I am playfully picking on Koray, he is a very generous nice guy). 

Avatar 2 will wow us visually. It will raise the bar again on effects and bring us closer to glassless 3D. Will the script be better. LETS Hope. It will now be 12 years between pictures so the script should be better, but we all remember KOTCS. And with Horner's death Cameron has worried about the film's music. 

Time will tell.

I doubted Cameron once. Never again!

4 hours ago, toothless said:

It will go to Tom Holkenborg. 

My assumption as well. 

That is a poor assumption imho because Rodriguez is a director capable of making his own choices. 

In this case I think Cameron will ask the composer to consider Horner's score and his designs and prep wxork on 2.

Zimmer is incapable of writing a decent followup the thd Avatar score.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Apart from Zimmer, I couldnt think of a better choice. 

Cameron seems like a difficult director to work with and I don’t think Zimmer is up for that type of stuff these days. I would take JNH from 10 years ago. 

Maybe Cameron can finally get his wish and work with a true big name composer, John Williams.

I am curious to see the audience reaction to these sequels. I’m sure it can make some cash, but probably nowhere close to the first one.

China will probably have the highest box office take from these films.

6 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Maybe Cameron can finally get his wish and work with a true big name composer, John Williams.

I am curious to see the audience reaction to these sequels. I’m sure it can make some cash, but probably nowhere close to the first one.

China will probably have the highest box office take from these films.

It fits with Hollywood’s long term strategy to nurture China as the next big box office market, surely. 

I admit that I thought it was kind of ballsy for a studio to bank on four Avatar sequels over the next decade based on Cameron’s reputation alone. But I remembered that he delivers movie-going experiences with ridiculous reliability. Aliens, T2, Titanic, Avatar... the guy bats like .900 and only a fool would think that Avatar 2 will fail to deliver an amazing movie-going experience. His films are events. You go see them in the theater or you get tarred as a pop-culture heretic.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:15 PM, Bayesian said:

It fits with Hollywood’s long term strategy to nurture China as the next big box office market, surely. 

I admit that I thought it was kind of ballsy for a studio to bank on four Avatar sequels over the next decade based on Cameron’s reputation alone. But I remembered that he delivers movie-going experiences with ridiculous reliability. Aliens, T2, Titanic, Avatar... the guy bats like .900 and only a fool would think that Avatar 2 will fail to deliver an amazing movie-going experience. His films are events. You go see them in the theater or you get tarred as a pop-culture heretic.

Avatar 2 is a must-see. James Cameron’s first movie in 12 years. Whatever the Avatar brand means at this point, you gotta go if you love movies. 

But he’s gonna have to give me reasons not to sleep on 3-5 every other year.

• 4 months later...

... just another day on the set of the Avatar sequels!

So even if the first sequel flops big time, they still gonna make more of them? Whether we like it or not?

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

So even if the first sequel flops big time, they still gonna make more of them? Whether we like it or not?

Godzilla: King of the Monsters flopping hasn't stopped them from completing Godzilla vs Kong.