Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Fully formed? I like it when I can contribute my own thoughts and feelings to something. If it's already fully formed, if everything is done for me, then what am I suppose to do? With Star Wars, especially with the first two movies, I always have the feeling that we're only see a little part of the universe.

Alex

• 2 months later...

Avatar 2 Delayed from 2016 to 2017 Due to Additional Work on the Scripts

Who wants to bet they'll only end up making 1 or 2 movies in the end, not shooting 3 back to back to back?

James Horner explains what the script problems were

"Right now Jim has four sequels, script wise, Horner said in his interview. "And he's trying to make it into three. And that is where, I think, his effort is going right now. To keep it to three sequels. Because he's got so much going on how do you keep it from expanding into a fifth movie, total. And he'll get that sorted out."

For me Avatar's music wasn't love at first sight. I felt he was going through the motions. I had to listen again and again, and put it quite loud to be able to enjoy it. Now I do enjoy it a lot, and I feel terrible we won't get that same sound again in the sequels.

For me Avatar's music wasn't love at first sight. I felt he was going through the motions. I had to listen again and again, and put it quite loud to be able to enjoy it. Now I do enjoy it a lot, and I feel terrible we won't get that same sound again in the sequels.

Even with Horner's death, whoever scores the three movies will likely incorporate his Avatar material in the film scores.

Horner's Avatar was far from perfect and suffered somewhat from being derivative as usual, but the highlights were briliant to me. The new main theme was lush and full of sweet adventure, and the action stuff was typical thrilling Horner.

Even with Horner's death, whoever scores the three movies will likely incorporate his Avatar material in the film scores.

But who can sound like Horner?

Tyler doing Goldsmith... :angry: My point exactly!

I dont actually think you can go through the motions on a Cameron film. Not sure he would allow it!

But that's how I felt it was on my first couple of listens. Almost nothing stood out.

Davis could definitely channel Horner well when he wants to. Large parts of the Matrix sequels sounded like Horner in fantasy mode.

I don't know who will want to focus on Avatar sequels only for several years. If I recall correctly, Horner said Cameron told him not to work on anything else while doing Avatar. I think Horner stated that in a video interview at the scoring stage.

Good point about Davis.

There's an awesome alternate take in Matrix Reloaded of the Chateau swashbuckling music, and the first time I heard I immediately thought of Horner and Willow. :)

I think neither of those guys would really work on it. Avatar is a very different score in terms of how it was put together.

Karol

I really wanted to hear the continuation of his sound for Avatar and new sounds for the underwater scenes. Would have been very interesting. But at least there's a different kind of curiosity and excitement for me now with wondering who will Score the sequels. No doubt who I would pick and think is the best choice by a mile. James Newton Howard. He is the master of that high fantasy style.

This piece alone should convince Cameron and Co.

Maybe he could collaborate with Silvestri again, but still it's so strange that we and also Cameron himself has to be thinking about a replacement already.

I'm still in shock about Horner. I still can't believe it to be honest. It'll dawn on me soon. I'm not looking forward to it when I do truly realise he has gone. No one can replace Horner. You can hire a different Composer, but never replace his genius. I'm leaving the tribute to him on different topics, like his official thread, and using this thread to take my mind of it and focus on the music and Avatar itself.

• 2 weeks later...