Lost Return of the Jedi footage shown for the first time in 30 years

Jay

So you know how the music for Luke's fight with the Rancor was always longer on the CD than in the film, with a nice chunk taken out in the middle of it in the film? Well, we've always known it was for a delete sequence where Luke tries to force-jump up to the grate to get away from the Rancor, but the footage has never been seen... until now!

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p9m2TTmGa8

I see Lucas and/or Marquand were desperately trying to make an early bid for the rights to do another remake of King Kong. . . .

But that's a fun little clip. (Kind of ironic, though, that when the speaker tries to elicit enthusiasm from the crowd—"You guys wanna see it again?!"—like, two people clap. So he shows it anyway.)

- Uni

Of course there was, that's how we've always known what scene the extra music on the CD went with... now we can see the scene in motion!

I never noticed there was extra music on the c.d.

It's obvious when you're comparing the music from the CD for that cue to the film...

I never really paid attention to the film edits of OT cues.... since we have them complete on the c.d.'s

Johnny has to put with gorilla suits and clunky editing. Film composers simply have to have a dramatic spirit and imagination in spades to be able to work in these conditions. But I guess it is pretty obvious in JWs case.

I don't understand. Why Jabba says "do something". Is this a parody?

I think it was probably somebody on the set shouting English translations of Jabba's lines, so the other cast members would know how to react. I'm sure they would have replaced that with his usual dialect/subtitles if it were to make it into the finished film.

I don't understand. Why Jabba says "do something". Is this a parody?

I think it was probably somebody on the set shouting English translations of Jabba's lines, so the other cast members would know how to react. I'm sure they would have replaced that with his usual dialect/subtitles if it were to make it into the finished film.

This was how the scenes with Jabba were filmed--one of the operators spoke the lines in English, and the voice and Huttese were later dubbed in. (That's why you'll notice, both for Jabba and other aliens that have to be translated in the original trilogy, that the alternate language always "coincidentally" uses the same number of syllables in each sentence as its English equivalent.)

- Uni

When I click the link to watch, it says the video is private. Can I get permission?

Now I'm getting that message too. The uploader must have changed the settings.

He probably doesn't want everyone linking it all over the internet so Lucasfilm / Fox / Disney or whoever, doesn't have it removed.

They've been doing that, as well as other studios, long before this.

He probably doesn't want everyone linking it all over the internet so Lucasfilm / Fox / Disney or whoever, doesn't have it removed.

They've been doing that, as well as other studios, long before this.

Yup that they have. Not surprised that this was "removed".

• 2 months later...