John Williams YouTube tributes thread

Quintus

It makes sense since he is one of the few who still make use of a pencil and a paper to transcribe his primary conceptions of a score.

Williams-loving piano wunderkind Enguerrand-Friedrich Luhl is back with a new version of "The Flag Parade" for piano and orchestra.  I think I prefer his two-piano transcriptions, but this is an interesting change of pace...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys...GUYS

Everyone take a break from wringing your hands about the new Star Wars remasters and watch this.

Breathtakingly weird

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/new-music/discovery/strong-asian-mothers-ep-phone-home

From the creators:

"This is our homage to John Williams, the greatest film composer of this age. This is our homage to Steven Spielberg and the other great action/sci-fi /fantasy directors of history. This is our homage to cinematic adventures. We grew up with these films, they shaped who we are and are part of what drive us to create epic cinematic music. We thought we'd honour them by remixing the films and scores into a complete frenzy. It was also very fun to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Performed by Slovenian Police Orchestra, conducted by Tomaž Kmetič. Music by John Williams, wind orchestra arrangement by Jay Bocook. Medley features music from Star Wars, Empire of the Sun, Jaws and Far And Away. Recorded on February 25th, 2018 in Medvode, Slovenia @ 10th annual Film Music Night.

Unfortunately, this is not on Youtube, but I couldn't find a better thread to put this in: I firmly believe a live Budapest Bár concert is the only place to hear Hedwig's Theme on a cimbalom improvised into a medley of Zemer Atik and Dancing with the Rabbi.

• 4 weeks later...

@Loert, this is REALLY good!!! I can't play piano myself, but it's a pleasure just to listen to. Brings out some contrapuntal nuances I hadn't noticed before. 

11 hours ago, Loert said:

Recently I had the wonderful opportunity of having my two piano arrangement of "Welcome to Jurassic Park" played and recorded by two outstanding pianists, Joshua Tamayo and Victor Cheng (who also recorded my arrangement of The Jedi Steps & Finale).

Hope you guys enjoy it!

:worship:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 12:07 AM, Holko said:

Unfortunately, this is not on Youtube, but I couldn't find a better thread to put this in: I firmly believe a live Budapest Bár concert is the only place to hear Hedwig's Theme on a cimbalom improvised into a medley of Zemer Atik and Dancing with the Rabbi.

Here's my amateur recording from a concert from last Saturday:

23 hours ago, Holko said:

you must at least listen to the portion from 5:10! (Hedwig's Theme on the cimbalom!):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3jm7b27pn12rx9/20180623_215310.mp3?dl=0

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2018 at 6:38 PM, Disco Stu said:

Guys...GUYS

Everyone take a break from wringing your hands about the new Star Wars remasters and watch this.

Breathtakingly weird

Disco Stu... Disco Stu

You and I have very a different sense of humour.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Disco Stu... Disco Stu

You and I have very a different sense of humour.

So I take it you're not a fan of stuff like The Mighty Boosh?  Stuff that's bizarre just for the sake of being bizarre?

That's not the ONLY kind of humor I find funny, but yeah it can tickle me at times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, this is new:

It sounds weirdly processed and echo-y at times, and she seems to be just singing over the OST, but it's certainly an original take!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hahaha, wow, this motif has been subliminally annoying me since at least Minority Report.  Nice to see it officially identified.  I have given a name to my pain, and it is Ludlow.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:36 PM, hornist said:

Is it the same origin, that very aggressive and cool brass passage from TLJ, in Battle of Crait? 

After Rey's theme, 03:18

Definitely! I just included "The Supremacy" instead of "Battle of Crait" b/c I was going for one example per film.

The TLJ motif is interesting in that it is so Ludlow-like in that appearance (and the analagous rendition during the opening Escape Battle). But intervallically, it's also related to the fairly anonymous sounding "Tension" motif first intro'd in TFA. And over the course of TLJ, it develops into the full-fledged "Holdo's Sacrifice" theme. Williams gets an amazing amount of mileage out of this little C-Eb-D-F-C melodic pattern.

10 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Definitely! I just included "The Supremacy" instead of "Battle of Crait" b/c I was going for one example per film.

The TLJ motif is interesting in that it is so Ludlow-like in that appearance (and the analagous rendition during the opening Escape Battle). But intervallically, it's also related to the fairly anonymous sounding "Tension" motif first intro'd in TFA. And over the course of TLJ, it develops into the full-fledged "Holdo's Sacrifice" theme. Williams gets an amazing amount of mileage out of this little C-Eb-D-F-C melodic pattern.

Oh, didn't notice that TLJ was already included because in video it says SW episode VII when "The Supremacy" is playing. Sorry for that, I should know, my favorite score😜

But yes, so much fun of this melodic pattern😎😎😎

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite German (no offense, anybody) just uploaded another winner! Old performance, apparently, but the CD hasn’t been released in the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...