All of JW's music sounds the same

Eric_JWFAN

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's kinda right. Williams' sound in that era was pretty consistent, even if he was consistently pumping out great scores. E.T., Superman, Star Wars and Indy are all clearly composed by the same guy. I mean, there are serious differences between those scores, yes, but they are still musically similar. The real question here is whether he's correct about the finale and the usage of Williams music.

How can anyone hear the Raiders march or anything from that movie and think E.T.?? Seriously the only thing these scores all have in common is their colorful orchestrations and overall elite quality.

Nothing wrong with having an identifiable style. I disagree with the author that the scores are "not that different," as clearly Raiders, SW, and E.T. all explore new territories--but they are definitely unified by JW's stylistic tendencies.

"Also, at the end of the film, there is an all-out assault on the emotions that depends, it seems, more on the rising volume of this music than on the events portrayed."

amen.gif

he should review nowadays music with most film having "Zimmerian library" music.

And he kills one of the best music-images moments in cinema history.

He probably was a resentful Jerry Goldsmith fan :P

But seriously, many people have been saying the same thing for over 30 years. I can't see why every article stating the same opinion deserves to be mentioned.

Vincent Canby was a pretty good film critic, he can be allowed to be wrong from time to time.

And he is wrong.

E.T. does not sound like Star Wars or Raiders, ESB, Superman, or even Close Encounters.

It's one of the reasons I love it so much is that it is so different than those. Yes at the end it is loud and glorious, but it's often quiet and intimate.

Yoda's theme is not in SW.

It was Williams in his wierd strings stage, like Empire of the Sun etc.

You mean portamento?

I guess ;)

The real question here is whether he's correct about the finale and the usage of Williams music.

He's correct.

I got a good chuckle out of this final paragraph.

Karol

Sometimes you just can't help laughing when people are that right.

Williams himself admitted that he was kind of forced by Spielberg to overdo the finale. JW found it 'a bit shameless' - so it's not just the clueless critics who realized it might all be a bit too heavy labor; it is somewhere in either the Spielberg bio of Andrew Yule or Joseph McBride.