Gladiator Live // Royal Albert Hall

CineConcerts

Hello all,

Perhaps some of you are aware of this, but we wanted to formally post this concert's information:

http://life.royalalberthall.com/2013/07/ridley-scotts-gladiator-to-be-presented-live-at-the-royal-albert-hall/

This one is quite a production with a 90 piece orchestra, 80 piece choir, duduk/zurna solos, and with great excitement we will be joined by Lisa Gerrard singing the vocal solos.

Hope to see some of you there!

http://gladiatorlive.com/

I reckon this could be a lot of fun if they make it a 'theme evening'.

"Oh you should see the Albert Hall. 5, 272 Londoners watching every movement of your Baton, willing you to make that killer swipe. The silence before you swipe, and the noise afterwards, it rises, rises like...like a storm, as if you were the thunder God himself".

"I am the conductor. I shall be closer to you for the next hour, which will be the last of your miserable lives, than the bitch of a mother that brought you screaming into this world. I did not come here for you for your company, I came here so that I could profit from your film score obsession....and as your mother was there at your beginning, so I shall be there at your end. And when you clap, and clap you shall, your transition shall be to the sound of...(

).........Londoners I salute you"

"We who are about to conduct, salute you".

"The frost. Sometimes it makes the Baton stick".

"Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED Is this not why you are here?"

etc etc

Melange - Wouldn't mind attending that concert.

Sounds amazing, are there plans to bring it to other cities? I get that impression from the website.

Certainly. We'll post more ciites at our website as they become confirmed. Dozens of cities across North America, Europe, Australia and Asia all currently in the works. Might take a bit more time to bring it to South America.

I would go to this rather then the Star trek live projections in that same months.

Likewise.

This sounds awesome.

• 9 months later...

I went to this yesterday and thought it was wonderful. The Royal Albert Hall has something of the Flavian Amphitheatre about it so it seemed very appropriate to watch Gladiator there with a live orchestra and choir. The place was absolutely packed - a complete sell out - and they were even opening the gallery for people to stand up in the gods.

Wouldn't it be great if they gave one of Johnny's big scores this treatment? Raiders of the Lost Ark would be ace, if anyone's taking requests.

I'm seeing as a part of this years' Krakow Film Music Festival. It's going to be interesting to hear non-synth Zimmer.

Karol

Zimmer "supervised" it himself apparently.

All those concerys require lot of work, if you think about the practicalities.

Karol

Well, films often require very exaggerated orchestrations and that's not very practical thing for live performances. Some instrumentation needs to be changed. For instance in the dojo sequence from The Matrix Don Davis had to find western instrument to imitate Japanese percussion etc. If you look through Jim Ware's notes on LOTR live to ptojection notes there are numerous changes to scores. Not to mention the reinserted passages that you find in almost every concert like this.

Karol

Yeah.

If you think about it, those types of concerts are more about film scoring than films. The usual negative side effect is that films usually feel weaker, because you're very aware of how exactly they're trying to manipulate you.

Karol

Who re-orchestrated this?

Must have been loads of work....

I interviewed Justin Freer and Ludwig Wicki about this last year...there's an article in FSM Online.

Yesterday :)

So, Rich, were you not entertained? Were you not entertained?

:unsure:

If you went on Tuesday and you took that photo from where you were sitting, I would not have been too far away from you, but a little further to the right.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Got to see this yesterday. Probably my favourite Zimmer score and getting to hear Lisa Gerrard perform live with the orchestra is something pretty special. The credits end with a bit of a whimper so it was nice to see them finish with a rousing rendition of the main theme playing over some making of stills from the film. Another great performance at the Royal Albert Hall. Now a wait until a busy Sept/Oct/Nov. Can't wait to go back.

• 5 years later...

San Francisco Symphony Orchestra and Chorus

Justin Freer, conductor

May 22nd and 23rd, 2024

https://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2023-24/GLADIATOR

This is the 2nd USA ensemble in 9 and 3/4 years that is doing this rental.   Here's info on the 1st USA ensemble:

The Philadelphia Orchestra; Philadelphia Singers Chorale; Clara Sanabras, soloist; Justin Freer, conductor at the Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA on July 18th, 2014.

https://manncenter.org/about/past-performers

Perhaps getting this LTP concert back in the USA is the only good thing that came out of having a new Gladiator movie.  I hope that the same came be done in getting the Aliens LTP concert in the USA concert halls when that new Alien movie comes out.

• 8 months later...