BloodBoal

Bloodboal, confused about your Moon Runes video. Well first of all I'm sure everything you have from 0:00-2:42 is completely perfect, it's not about that.

After that, if I'm reading your post correctly, you say the standard OST version was used in the film, and the SE OST version wasn't. But isn't in the other way around?

Quite a few things in the film are colour-graded to death, especially the Shire, if that is what you mean.

While watching the location shooting blogs again, I keep thinking how brilliant New Zealand looks, and how artificial PJ made it look with his colour tools.

FotR looked brilliant, when he only used it to slightly intensify the looks. AUJ in large parts is hopelessly overdone, more so than RotK even.

He took fantastic shots of New Zealand and made them seem incredibly artificial with whatever colour grading or diffusion was involved.

Yep. Maybe these shots will help SafeUnderHill understand what you mean. Look at these, SUH. The first shot is from the trailer and pretty much left untouched, the second one is from the movie and is overgraded to death and "bloomed":

hobbitcomparison.jpg

I'm just thinking, since AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY was shot digitally at 4K - maybe the post-production diffusion was an attempt to make the image softer, more film-like with less of the harshness one can get with digital (i.e. blown-out whites)?

Presenting The Hook... I mean, The Defiler!

Unused in the film: 0'37 - 0'58.

I'm just thinking, since AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY was shot digitally at 4K - maybe the post-production diffusion was an attempt to make the image softer, more film-like with less of the harshness one can get with digital (i.e. blown-out whites)?

What's the point of shooting digitally, if it is to later try to recreate a film look in post-prod?

Because digital is more convenient and can shoot at much lower light, but more crucially - film can't handle 48fps.

Both versions of the OST have liner notes by Doug Adams, the biggest themes are discussed with some examples...

Of course if you don't have the OST and are just listening to the score on Youtube/Spotify etc. than I could see your problem..

Ok, someone's got to do a write up listing all of the leitmotifs in The Hobbit with notated examples in Finale/Sibelius-- because otherwise I'm lost.

Hopefully this comes close:

http://music-muse.com/2012/12/28/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-howard-shore/

Although I haven't updated in a while, it should still be fairly accurate.

Because... It sounds like Smaug's theme?

It's very subtle, didn't even notice it till you mentioned it now!

Is there a microedit in the CD, OR - was the stupid bit with Galadriel disappearing not in the film when Shore scored it, and it was added back in later after the 2->3 film split?

Right, but maybe the part where she disappears wasn't.... I dunno. Seems like you're right. And it's annoying we don't know what the missing chunk he took out for the OST sounds like, since it was replaced in the film with a rescore....

These are all really fascinating finds and illustrations you have done here BloodBoal. My only problem is that my browser (Firefox) goes berserk and the CPU usage hits through the roof with so many embedded videos on the pages. :P