BloodBoal

By golly! Chrome works! It really works! And who said learning new things wasn't fun!

Oh and I can't seem to be able watch those google videos. I was especially curious about the Radagast ones but all it says every time I try to watch any of those videos "an error has occured. Please try again later" or something to that effect.

I tried refreshing the page but nothing happened. I'll watch those tomorrow then.

Bloodboal, I think the best thing for you to do would be to provide a direct link to the videos, kind of like what Faleel did, along with the embedded version of each video. So people have the option. Maybe you can make a post now with links to all existing videos so you don't have to go back and edit a ton of posts.

Just watched Over Hill - another good video, BB. I'm sure you got everything exactly right.

Someone remind me tomorrow to post my thoughts on the White Council video

I watched Radagast the Brown video first, the 3rd iteration, which actually was brilliantly done and much along the lines I thought it might have played in the film. And your explanation for the last 2 minutes of material is a very sound one even down to the sync points for Radagast's arrival to Dol Guldur, Shore including 2 different versions of the same scene on the Special Edition OST, presenting material from two different cuts of the film. Shore's original take on the Radagast scene is certainly more memorable and unique but might have come across too wild and animated for the sequence already so full of bustle. I still found it spot on and it gave the whole scene character. I also thought that what I call Shadow Over Mirkwood, the eerie choral and orchestral motif for the sickness and darkness of the forest, synced now perfectly with the discovery of the blight of the forest and the shots of the ill hedgehog. Kudos BB! Now on to watch more of these excellent videos.

The Hill of Sorcery: This one plays out much as expected, there was no real conundrum here, although now with all the music intact. Nice to see and hear these scenes in full and approximately how Shore intended the music to accentuate them. :)

Warg-Scouts: Again this all looks and sounds pretty familiar, mostly because I have done the same effort to conforming the music on the album to the picture to see how it would fit as I have written my analysis (it keeps getting trampled under other business I am afraid and I am still stuck analyzing A Good Omen) but again your work is very spot on BB. They really did eradicate most traces of Radagast's music like those swirling string lines that open the track as the wizard zig zags everywhere at once. I am still a bit baffled by the extension of Lothlorien theme to encompass Rivendell's warriors but I guess it was felt that it was good musical misdirection at this point to keep the identity of the dwarves' rescuers a secret. The Warg theme and all this stomping, growling music is among the best in the score in my opinion, Shore expanding it further in the Out of the Frying Pan and we most likely will hear more of it in the sequel films now that Azog is hunting full time the troupe.

A Thunder Battle!

Cool video! I'd say Shore scored this whole sequence quite excellently - even though I think the entire sequence is wholly unnecessary.

The music in this track was pretty much left untouched in the film. Some very minor microedits (more like nanoedits, really. Less than half a second here and there) were done in the film

Uh.... if the music was edited in the film, than wouldn't the OST track no longer line up? Wouldn't you have to insert Missing Footage cards in where the music was edited? But you didn't, so... I don't get it.

and I think the OST track also has one microedit (don't remember exactly where, but I believe it's after the 2'00 mark if I'm not mistaken), but apart from that, most of what we hear on the OST ended up in the film.

Wait, what? Then wouldn't you have had to had removed some of the video for the missing music? Or are you saying you did?

Also, dunno if this is the microedit you are talking about, but at 3:33 the OST track removes all the music for them entering the cave.

I really liked the way you presented Under Hill, with cutting to the appropriate part of the sequence in the middle. Not distracting at all and the best solution here when the sections have switched places on the album track.

So when is the next one coming BB? I am waiting anxiously! :)

Riddles in the Dark should be fun editing ;)

Yeah. Trying to figure out how the music fits the picture is quite tricky but I know that if there is one man who can do it is BloodBoal.

Riddles in the Dark should be fun editing ;)

Yeah. Trying to figure out how the music fits the picture is quite tricky but I know that if there is one man who can do it is BloodBoal.

"There is no spell our little BloodBoal can't do."

Hagrid_comforting_hermione.png

Wow, looks like a lot of guesswork had to go into this one, as expected. I can't wait to watch this one, plus I forgot I haven't posted my comments on Under Hill or White Council yet

Bravo BloodBoal! I very much concur with your choices in the Riddles in the Dark video. Well done! :)

Makes you wonder if Shore intended silences to bridge the different sections in the film or is there a good portion of unreleased original music from this scene that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Bloodboal, just watched the Riddles In The Dark.... It's awesome! It's funny how early in the video the "what have I got in my pocket?" bit happens - Shore basically chose to have most of the end of the entire sequence in his album suite and very little from the beginning/middle.

I also really liked how each time the ring is shown the History of the Ring theme is used in a cool new way, I wish those variations had been kept in the final film.

I do have one comment to make about the way you started the video. Why have all that footage shown with no music, then the music kicks in in the middle of a shot, then you almost immediately have the missing footage tag.... Can you try a version with no missing footage tag, and the music just starts earlier than you have it start now?

OK I just watched all 3 of your versions (well the opening part anyway) - and I like "Test 2" the best - and also think that was Shore's intentions!

I don't really see why syncing the start of the music on the orc's arm raising up makes sense... it's not like it's thrilling fight music, it's kinda subdued "bad things are going on" music. I think the way you have it lined up in "Test 2" is just perfect! Not to mention the fact that no "Missing footage" tag is needed that way! I doubt the Gollum/orc fight was really edited down after scoring - they already struggle long enough as it is.

So I guess your first instinct was right on this one! :)

I thought it didn't work at all!

You should see my Wraiths on Wings video!

Sometimes it does not look right, but that was what the composer intended, just our preferences get in the way.

So I guess your first instinct was right on this one! :)

That wasn't my first instinct! I just originally did a test to see how this would work without any editing, and I thought it didn't work at all! Anyway...

Well, I think your "Test 2" video works much better than the original version you uploaded, personally! But I'm just one person - what do others think?

Oh, and I guess I don't really have anything to say about your Under Hill video. I think it's great, and you got everything right! Shore assembled another nice album suite of that music. Still, a shame it wasn't expanded for the SE CD cause there's some cool brass work around that area of the film that remains unreleased.

I thought it didn't work at all!

You should see my Wraiths on Wings video!

Sometimes it does not look right, but that was what the composer intended, just our preferences get in the way.

How do you know that for certain? What if alternates were written for a different cut of the scene or something? Especially with the case of the Riddles in the Dark scene, we don't have all the music or the information to assemble the perfect original cut with the "original intentions" so we don't know for sure.

However, I agree with Jason, Test 2 definitely works the best. Leaving the first bit unscored is odd, and with the way test 2 is arranged, the ring statements align very well, and the atmosphere works just fine.

Oops, my bad.

Still, why does it have to be a boo moment? I understand that's how it ended up on film but I don't think that was Shore's original intent. Or at least the original music doesn't reflect that. It's more effective establishing mood as it did in Test 2 than its sudden appearance in test 1.