Recently Purchased Books, Ebooks

Faleel

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A novel called "Stoner", about a teacher in the first half of the 20th Century. Talk about an underdog?! The central character is great, and I really feel like I accompanied him on his life-journey. What a b**** his wife was"!

P.s., what is this "FOTR theatrical edit countdown" all about?

Oh, just a fan created edit, of the score to Fellowship of the ring, using all the cues Howard Shore wrote, before they were replaced by inserts etc. in the Extended Edition (which are what are presented on the Complete Recordings)

see this thread here: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4149&page=108#entry929038

Is this necessary with the last read book thre

What about the books we have recently purchased, that we have NOT read?

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the first 5 James Bond books when Amazon was selling them on kindle for $2 each a few months back. Hope to start reading them soon.

Complete Works of William Shakespeare

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (a Finnish translation)

The English Poems of John Milton

Complete Works of William Shakespeare

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (a Finnish translation)

The English Poems of John Milton

Some light reading for autumn?

Heh yeah. I do have a hefty collection of poetry from Byron, Tennyson, Wordsworth, Whitman, Keats and Yeats still unread in addition to those. :P All great bargain price Wordsworth editions.

I also got Agatha Christie's last Poirot novel The Curtain but have been putting off reading it just yet (until I have seen the said episode of the TV series broadcasted next January).

I bought myself that version of The Hobbit last year, haven't checked it out yet.

I recently finished reading The Hobbit, but it was on my tablet using the kindle app - I bought a version illustrated by Alan Lee in the Kindle store, which was nice because it's illustrations were not in the Annotated hardcover one and vice versa

Whats really great, is that it (Hardcover) matches with my copy of the 2001 Young Readers Edition by Houghton Mifflin (Paperback), not to mention Doug's (Adams) book! (By the way of being hardcover and of similar size)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my copy of The Making of Return of the Jedi book by JW . It looks very much in line with previous two, design wise. I can't wait to start - these books are among the most comprehensive sources of information on behind the scenes ever (if not the most comprehensive).

Karol

Yup, this guy. If you never read any of his stuff. It's terrific and very detailed. Maybe even too much for some people. I might not like Star Wars any more, but reading those is a must if you're into filmmaking in general.

Karol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw a boxset of all five of those in paperback at Target for $30... Thought about buying it but then realized if I loved then, I'd want to buy the sixth right away, but it will only be available in hardcover for like two years.. bleh.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I used a 40% coupon to buy the five Game of Thrones books new for $26.

I bought that in May and was basically stuck with it until yesterday - it kinda started to drag for the last two books. Now I'm finally through and catching up on all the stuff I've accumulated in the meantime (and before). For now I started Stephen King's Joyland, which my cousin gave me this year for All Hallow's Read.

And yes, I'm aware this should go into that other thread, but I'm too lazy to look it up. :P

"Here is a thread for this film thats coming out, when it comes out, you can read the spoiler thread/review section and read my thoughts."

Yeah it is. Hey here's a list of books I bought. When I read them you can go to this other thread and read my thoughts.

So you're fine with one thread for future films, and one thread for the last film you watched..... you're fine with one thread for blu ray news and bargains, and another thread for recently purchased movies..... but you draw the line at one thread for book's you've bought, and another thread for the last book you read?

No one posts in the recently bought movies thread. I certainly don't. This set up is more analagous to having a movies you plan to watch thread paired with the last film watched thread. Just the way I see it. Future films thread is for trailers and news mostly. This thread seems to just be a shopping list.

No, it's really not a shopping list. That would be the "what books do you want to buy?" thread. This is simply another recently purchased items thread, but geared towards books. If anything, it's a poor man's attempt at a book club, meant to galvanize interest in the books we buy. I personally haven't read an entire book since getting a smartphone.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll stick to my all-John Howe illustrated versions. Curiously that 5 book box seems to have both Howe and some other illustrator's cover art.

H.P. Lovecraft - The Complete Fiction

The Complete Illustrated Works of Edgar Allan Poe

H.P. Lovecraft - The Complete Fiction

The Complete Illustrated Works of Edgar Allan Poe

(Y)

Prepare for weird dreams.

Indeed! Although for a person who had a nasty visit from Azog in his last dream and was trying to prevent the captain Hookhand of the Orc kind from entering the house with his Orcses the dreams can't get much weirder.

Too much The Hobbit and no Lovecraft makes Incanus obviously a dull boy.

Sometimes I enjoy thinking about Lovecraft and music. It would be a very difficult job, I think, to score a faithfully well made Lovecraft film adaptation. It's tough to pin down, relative to any music I know (film or otherwise), what exactly the sonic nature of such an adaptation would be.

Sometimes I enjoy thinking about Lovecraft and music. It would be a very difficult job, I think, to score a faithfully well made Lovecraft film adaptation. It's tough to pin down, relative to any music I know (film or otherwise), what exactly the sonic nature of such an adaptation would be.

That is very true. It would depend upon the story very much as there is a wide range of moods and atmospheres they evoke. But when thinking of his general style it is very true that musically it would require something special. At times stark, at times gothic and then refined and dry and serious and at other times s dripping with deluge of visual flair and maddening wonder. I hear orchestra though, always some kind of humanizing orchestral sound wedded with perhaps electronics and strange instrumental sounds, however grim or cold it might be.