Recently Purchased Books, Ebooks

Faleel

Indeed! Although for a person who had a nasty visit from Azog in his last dream and was trying to prevent the captain Hookhand of the Orc kind from entering the house with his Orcses the dreams can't get much weirder.

ROTFLMAO

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The passacaglia from Penderecki's 3rd symphony strikes me as suited to some of the more extrovert Lovecraft moments, evoking some plodding, nameless, supernal horror. Actually much from that period of music likely fits well. And there are even a few musical descriptions in his work, usually revolving around the thin whining of monotonous flutes and dancing formless cyclopean monstrosities. There's also a vivid reference to entrancing choral singing in one of the stories... I can't remember the name right now. It involves an opium overdose and subsequent vision.

The passacaglia from Penderecki's 3rd symphony strikes me as suited to some of the more extrovert Lovecraft moments, evoking some plodding, nameless, supernal horror. Actually much from that period of music likely fits well. And there are even a few musical descriptions in his work, usually revolving around the thin whining of monotonous flutes and dancing formless cyclopean monstrosities. There's also a vivid reference to entrancing choral singing in one of the stories... I can't remember the name right now. It involves an opium overdose and subsequent vision.

Some of the stories themselves have such "diegetic" musical cues in them, Music of Erich Zann perhaps the most , but when thinking of setting the stories to pure music it really becomes a challange of portraying such strange and outlandish visions with anything but horrific noises. I hope some day someone will make a decent film adaptation of one of Lovecraft's central stories as I would love to hear musical depiction of Lovecraft done right for a decent picture.

I have only seen the Lovecraft HIstorical Society's Call of Cthulhu and The Whisperer in the Darkness, that quite nice small budget adaptations done in classic 1930's and 1940's horror style right down to the music. But I hear most of the horror films based even loosely on Lovecraft do not do justice to his works.

What strange designs.

I'll stick to my all-John Howe illustrated versions. Curiously that 5 book box seems to have both Howe and some other illustrator's cover art.

I believe the main cover (and the cover of Book of Lost Tales 1) is Eriol/Ælfwine and Rumil (Burward-Hoy), where the rest are:

Urin and Mim in the cave of the Nodothlim (not entirely sure) by Burward-Hoy, and Fingolfin (?) vs. Morgoth by Howe, The Fall of Gondolin? by Howe, and I think, the Numenorean assault upon Valinor? by Howe.

I didn't purchase it myself, but Mrs. Pilgrim bought the Smithsonian's Music: The Definitive Visual History for the younglings while in DC. It's a substantial tome, and I'm going to start in on it tonight to make sure it's an acceptable source of education. ;)

I didn't purchase it myself, but Mrs. Pilgrim bought the Smithsonian's Music: The Definitive Visual History for the younglings while in DC. It's a substantial tome, and I'm going to start in on it tonight to make sure it's an acceptable source of education. ;)

What an excellent ruse GP. They will never guess that you are enjoying it yourself. ;)

• 1 year later...

The Fall of Arthur (Tolkien)

The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien

The Monsters and the Critics

Beowful (Tolkien's translation)

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Sir Orfeo (Tolkien's translations)

John Williams's Film Music (by Emilio Audissino)

A History of Film Music (by Mervyn Cooke)

• 2 months later...

Finn & Hengest

Mr. Bliss

The Tolkien Reader

The Annotated Hobbit

The Story of Kullervo

The Unfinished Tales

• 2 years later...

Some books bought over the last year or so.

A Secret Vice by J.R.R. Tolkien

secret-vice.jpg

The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun by J.R.R. Tolkien (edited by Verlyn Flieger)

the-lay-of-aotrou-and-itroun.jpg

Beren and Lúthien by J.R.R. Tolkien (edited by Christopher Tolkien)

beren-and-luthien.jpg

The Celtic Myths: A Guide Ancient Gods and Legends by Miranda Aldhouse-Green

the-celtic-myths.jpg

The Norse Myths: A Guide to the Gods and Heroes

the-norse-myths-a-guide-to-the-gods-and-

The Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia by Daniel Harms

the-cthulhu-mythos-encyclopedia.jpg

Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (BarnesNoble Collectible Edition)

9781435158108_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Oooh!  That last one reminds that that at a random used bookstore in western MA this spring or early summer, I picked up two hardcover Sherlock Holmes books.  I believe Study In Scarlet and The Return of?  I can't remember now.  I've never read any before, though, and I'm looking forward to reading them!

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Oooh!  That last one reminds that that at a random used bookstore in western MA this spring or early summer, I picked up two hardcover Sherlock Holmes books.  I believe Study In Scarlet and The Return of?  I can't remember now.  I've never read any before, though, and I'm looking forward to reading them!

A Study in Scarlet is the first Sherlock Holmes novel but to me at least it might not represent quite the quintessential Holmes yet. The narrative structure contains a lengthy flashback which omits Holmes entirely from the lion's share of the story, which I personally thought to be a curious choice.

The Return of Sherlock Holmes is the second collection of short stories that appeared in the Strand Magazine. Hopefully you'll find all the rest of the short stories so you can enjoy them in the order (C&C one might even say ;) ) since the  Return stories begin after the Reichenbach Falls (i.e. The Final Problem).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I got The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films by Rinzler for my birthday

I got 

Masters of the Air by Donald L. Miller 

Hunting Evil: The dramatic true story of the Nazi war criminals who escaped and the hunt to bring them to justice by Guy Walters 

The Secret Horsepower Race: Western Fighter Engine Development by Calum E. Douglas 

and

JG 26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe by Donald L. Caldwell 

All for Christmas. 

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Too Much and Never Enough

It is a well-written mixture between concise psychoanalysis and gripping storytelling - an at times deeply sad and outrageous story.

Nice job of avoiding referencing " he who must not be named".😁😗

This thread goes dormant for years at a time!

Why am I not surprised? 😎

21 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I got 

Masters of the Air by Donald L. Miller 

Hunting Evil: The dramatic true story of the Nazi war criminals who escaped and the hunt to bring them to justice by Guy Walters 

The Secret Horsepower Race: Western Fighter Engine Development by Calum E. Douglas 

and

JG 26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe by Donald L. Caldwell 

All for Christmas. 

Are these all new Harry Potter books?