BloodBoal

They filmed this movie in 2014 & early 2015 and it opens in May; The effects are nearly finished for sure.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Whatever happened to Keira Knightley anyway?  Other than that Everest movie, I haven't seen her in anything in a while

She's still in things every year or so. Last Christmas she was in that lame-looking Will Smith movie Collateral Beauty where she played "Love" and Helen Mirren was "Death".

She also had Anna Karenina a few years ago, and Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method. Also Begin Again from the guy who directed Once.

27 minutes ago, Romão said:

The effects looked terrific in Dead Man's Chest

Yeah, Davy Jones is fantastic all around, but some of the crowds for example were noticable even back then.

14 hours ago, mstrox said:

I think the CG was equally bad in the four earlier movies, too.

Weren't the skeletons in the first film pretty good?

And at least one of then won an Oscar for best effects, if I recall.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I think they blew most of their budget for DMC/AWE on that maelstrom sequence

I always assumed that Maelstrom sequence was actually a way for them to cut down on the budget.

The story just manoeuvred two fleets across from each other, but then they never do anything.

Instead you get a battle between the same two ships that battled in the previous film.

They probably realised reusing the same sets would be cheaper than making new ones for the other ships.

So to make the battle different from the second film, they decided to throw a Maelstrom into the mix.

That's what I figure, anyway....

• 4 weeks later...

I've never really had a relationship to any of the PIRATES movies, but I'm kinda curious about this one because of the two Norwegian directors. I've followed their work throughout the years, and they've delivered some really solid material. Should be interesting to see them in their first major Hollywood production. Several Norwegian directors "making it big" in Hollywood these days, which makes me kinda proud.

• 1 month later...

I just consulted Wikipedia on the naming of this one. I'd thought they'd changed it to Salazar's Revenge.

Naming a film differently between the US and everywhere else has to go down as one of the dumbest marketing ploys there is. Nothing like confusing cinemagoers.

However, bring on Zanelli's score!

Whatever was wrong with "Dead Men Tell No Tales" as the title?

That one fit perfectly with the source material.

Or maybe the reason is that the title doesn't quite represent the movie?

Without numbers, it might get confusing to people what is the correct sequence for them...

It is not unusual for movie titles to be translated and/or changed in Germany. Most people watch the movies German dubbed. Sometimes the title are completely changed. "Once upon a time in the west" changed to "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod" ("Play the song of death to me"). Captain america 2 was "The Return of the first Avenger" in Germany which is especially funny since they changed an English title to another English title!

Indeed once you start translating, it does lose its original intended connection.

Of course I am personally very much opposed to translating and dubbing films in the first place.

You can do that with really kiddie movies. But doing it with anything else really should not be necessary.

When I see a film, I want to see the REAL intended version; not some sort of interpretation of that.

This got jump-started with me thanks to Harry Potter. Really, those Dutch names for a story set in England are truly atrocious.

In the Netherlands, we're lucky that mostly films do play in their original version.

But it IS getting worse where kid's films used to play in a dubbed AND original version, but the original ones are becoming more rare.

I had wanted to see the LEGO Batman Movie with my brother, but it played only in Dutch anywhere near us.

We ended up not seeing it for that very reason.

Give us the real deal or we won't give you our money and wait for it to be released on disc instead!!!

It is off the story fits comfortably in that time.

For example At World's End would have benefitted from either less story or more running time.

As it is, it was both really long and rushed at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm more tired of the Sparrow character than the franchise itself (so far, the fourth movie is the only one I didn't like).

And it's not like there's a shitload of pirate movies being made these days anyway.

Yeah I'm probably the same. The first one is great, 2 and 3 are enjoyable, the 4th was terrible. It felt like it was the longest despite being the shortest... 

I probably will see the new one.

Yeah, Bloom and Knightly were missing from 4 big time. 

They were grounded enough that Sparrow didn't just end up being silly. 

4 was when Jack just got annoying. 

On 27/04/2017 at 10:30 AM, BloodBoal said:

In English, it's fine since it's a well-known expression and many people associate it with pirates (mainly because of the Disney ride).

But in many other countries and languages "dead men tell no tales" doesn't mean much and doesn't sound as good (and even sounds rather cheesy). Salazar's Revenge, no matter how generic it is, is more effective as a title.

Given the name change last year, it indicates that they didn't think about it properly when first coming up with the title. I think Salazar's Revenge is way cheesier than Dead Men Tell No Tales.

They could just call it Pirates of the Caribbean 5.....

As for the ransom, forget it. They'll allow whatever leak happens, to happen and consider it as marketing. People will still go to the cinema to see it properly. It's not like films don't leak shortly after release anyway. (You've got DVD screeners of oscar bait flooding the planet around the new year)

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

They'll be making them until the end of time if the films keep bringing in billions of dollars

This. And Depp has such a lavish lifestyle to maintain that he'll keep on doing them as long as they pay him enough.

I like Pirates of the Caribbean. It doesn't make too many demands of the middle-class attention span. They can enjoy exactly what they expect in a safe, non-challenging environment.

For example, how many films tell you exactly what they're going to be about in the title?  You can't tell anything about "Silence" based solely on the title. Go see it without knowing what it's about and you may be confused. Indeed, there's a lot of talking in that film.  Not so with Pirates of the Caribbean. No speculation necessary.

There will be Pirates. They will be in the Caribbean. No surprises, everyone's happy.  Watch the film, eat your popcorn, and your mind remains uncluttered for a post movie trip to the Gap.

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

There will be Pirates. They will be in the Caribbean. No surprises

Unless they're in Singapore. Or Davy Jones' Locker. :lol:

Really looking forward to the score to this one, as well as the film in general. This chap shares some of his thoughts regarding the music after seeing the film. I'm really happy about a couple of the themes that appear to be making a reappearance this time and excited about the prospects of some good new material to work alongside them. Fingers crossed!

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Really curious about that one. Not familiar with Zanelli's output outside of POTC, but I know he did compose some of my favourite cues in the previous scores, so wonder how this one will turn out. Surely, it'll be at least better than the last one!

Check out his Into The West score.

44 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

so is Lorne Balfe, didnt stop me from enjoying the scores to his movies

I assumed there would be one Loren Balfe fan out there but I never thought I'd find them.

weird.