Alexandre Desplat to score Godzilla

Ollie

I never even considered him. Hopefully he'll shy away from the modern sound he used for Harry Potter and go a bit more traditional.

"Well, Alexandre, the latest trend in film scoring appears to be silence, so perhaps you should consider that while writing the score."

Desplat is one of the best composers working right now, and a very diverse as well. I can't wait for some monster music from him.

Given that they allow him to go all out.

Karol

I'd love to hear Desplat work with the Ifukube theme. I actually think that's why Desplat will work so well for this: his music tends to be more on the darker end of the spectrum like Ifukube.

Granted it's a pipe dream.

I'd love to hear Desplat work with the Ifukube theme. I actually think that's why Desplat will work so well for this: his music tends to be more on the darker end of the spectrum like Ifukube.

Granted it's a pipe dream.

No Ifukube theme = fail

Also, monster music a la Godzilla has not much to do with so-called "action music" in my eyes, so pointing to tracks like DH's Sky Battle does not say much.

We weren't discussing that in the context of monster music. Karol

Koray said that he reserves judgment because he is no fan of Desplat's action music, which of course implies that connection. BB posted samples that have little to do with Godzilla monster music.

I think discussing action music here of course automatically assumes a connection to the film.

Now that's creative composer choosing. Very excited to hear what Desplat will deliver on this one. Some of his stuff on Rise of the Guardians sounded very Stravinsky-like, and something like that for Godzilla wouldn't be bad at all.

I only really like Rise of the Guardians, Ghost Writer, and Benjamin Button. His Harry Potter scores were dreadfully boring

Desplat has about 80 other scores to his name, a lot of them for european productions . Sometimes it pays off to explore an artist beyond a handful of heavily advertised Hollywood movies.

Notable scores include:

Nid de guêpes

Girl with a Pearl Earring

The Luzhin Defence

Birth

L’Ennemi intime

I like Desplat but he's doing too many movies. He should've said no to Godzilla. Knowing one has to compete with super loud sound effects for two hours, it's completely uninteresting for a composer.

I like Desplat but he's doing too many movies. He should've said no to Godzilla. Knowing one has to compete with super loud sound effects for two hours, it's completely uninteresting for a composer.

Maybe he has for the past couple of years, but Godzilla is only his second 2014 movie on tap (after Suite Francaise). I think he's slowing down now, at least for the moment. And if he really enjoys his work, why shouldn't he do as many as he like?

Competition is what drives society forward, what makes us better. We should be lauding aural competition in cinema, not denigrating it. Sonic space should be something the composer carves out himself through blood, sweat, and sheer ingenuity; effects-sparse films serve only to create a culture of artistic dependency.

Sonic space should be something the composer carves out himself through blood, sweat, and sheer ingenuity;

You forgot snot, phlegm and drool. And if it's aural competence, the composer should carve out his earwax thoroughly with surgical precision.

Maybe he has for the past couple of years, but Godzilla is only his second 2014 movie on tap (after Suite Francaise). I think he's slowing down now, at least for the moment. And if he really enjoys his work, why shouldn't he do as many as he like?

Third. He's also doing Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel.