The Alan Silvestri Thread

Jay

Well it's definitely been a busy last few years for Mr. Silvestri! I addition to scoring new films Captain America, The Avengers, Flight, The Croods, and Red 2, there have also been a lot of re-issues, expansions, and world premieres of some of his older scores:

On 2011-09-20, 1990's Young Guns II had its world premiere on Intrada Records.

On 2011-11-02, 1987's Overboard had its world premiere on Music Box Records

On 2012-03-06, 1987's Predator was finally given the definitive, unlimited treatment from Intrada Records.

On 2012-05-14, 1986's Clan Of The Cave Bear was re-issued by Varese on their ENCORE line.

On 2012-10-09, 1992's The Bodyguard had its world premiere on La-La Land Records.

On 2013-06-25, 1985's Fandango had its world premiere on Intrada Records.

On 2013-07-16, 1994's Clean Slate and 1995's The Perez Family had their world premieres on Music Box Records.

Phew! And it's not stopping! According to an FSM poster:

I just finished reading Daniel Schweiger's liner notes for Clean Slate/Perez Family and at the very end, where is some information about the author, one can see the following: "His liner notes have included Alan Silvestri's Eraser, Mac and Me, and Overboard".

As far as I can remember, there has never been a Silvestri's Mac and Me CD (the song album doesn't count)... so I can only presume that some of our beloved labels in working on a release that should see the light of day very soon!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=98085&forumID=1&archive=0

It's a good time to be a Silvestri fan!

I remember a time when I considered Silvestri top 5 material. After Castaway, he seemed to become Kathy Bates' prisoner.

Now I just need Zemekis to pay a visit and be blown away by both barrels - inspire Alan to escape his creative imprisonment and make a bombastic comeback.

My ears tend to be more attracted to his propulsive action music and his muscular statements of unashamed bravado and macho heroism.

His scores like Back to the Future, Predator, Predator 2, Judge Dredd, The Mummy Returns, Van Helsing, GI Joe, Captain America, The Avengers and even some parts of Who Framed Roger Rabbit offer these elements in spades. It's something that his contemporaries who attempt a similar style can't seem to match. John Debney has come close and David Arnold has managed sporadically but not as consistently as Silvestri.

Forrest Gump shows that given the right material, Silvestri can write a very good dramatic score. It's a shame it had to come out when the Academy was awarding all those average Disney scores with Oscars.

Hi all,

Could someone be able to quickly jot down the movies featured in the first clip above (the medley)? I would really appreciate that. I do have a lot of Silvestri (Contact, BTTF, The Mummy Returns, etc.), but there are some featured in there that I don't have, and would love to pick up.

Thanks!

AIFan

Thanks, Chuckster312! I appreciate the information.

Well, it looks like I have a few more purchases to add to the list! My poor wallet!

AIFan

• 4 months later...

Silvestri will be the special Guest of Honor at the Chattanooga International Film Music Festival in Tennessee, which takes place February 28-March 2nd. He will be attending a screening of Back to the Future with Q&A afterwards, conduct a suite of his Back to the Future score with the Chattanooga Symphony & Opera, and do a seminar. George S. Clinton (The Santa Clause 2, Wild Things) and Peter Golub (The Great Debaters) will also be there.

http://chattfilmmusic.org/

I might try to go there. I'm pretty sure Silvestri will get plenty of Avengers-related questions, so if I go, I'll have a thorough write-up and pics where appropriate.

Some good potential there. Plus a good chance of a release :)

It's about time that "Contact" had the deluxe treatment.

It's one of my favorites!

Not one I clamour for, because not only is every major cue on the CD, but all unreleased material (< 15 mins) is in perfect quality on the DVD isolated score.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Boy, it sure is a good time to be a Silvestri fan, eh?

Since this post:

Well it's definitely been a busy last few years for Mr. Silvestri! I addition to scoring new films Captain America, The Avengers, Flight, The Croods, and Red 2, there have also been a lot of re-issues, expansions, and world premieres of some of his older scores:

On 2011-09-20, 1990's Young Guns II had its world premiere on Intrada Records.
On 2011-11-02, 1987's Overboard had its world premiere on Music Box Records
On 2012-03-06, 1987's Predator was finally given the definitive, unlimited treatment from Intrada Records.
On 2012-05-14, 1986's Clan Of The Cave Bear was re-issued by Varese on their ENCORE line.
On 2012-10-09, 1992's The Bodyguard had its world premiere on La-La Land Records.
On 2013-06-25, 1985's Fandango had its world premiere on Intrada Records.
On 2013-07-16, 1994's Clean Slate and 1995's The Perez Family had their world premieres on Music Box Records.

There's been a whole bunch more catalog Silvestri titles!

Intrada: 2013-11-12 Alan Silvestri - A Christmas Carol (D001956902 - unlimited)
Varese: 2013-12-09 Alan Silvestri - The Abyss (1144 - 3,000)
Intrada: 2013-12-17 Alan Silvestri - Blown Away (ISC264 - limited)
Quartet: 2013-09-03 Alan Silvestri - Delta Force (1,000)
Quartet: 2014-04-28 Alan Silvestri - Mac and Me (1,000)
Quartet: 2014-08-26 Alan Silvestri - Summer Rental / Critical Condition (1,000)

Plus we know Varese has Predator 2 Deluxe Edition on the way!

And this is all in addition to his new scores to Cosmos, Night at the Museum 3, Run All Night and The Walk! Phew!

• 1 month later...

That's what this thread is for!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20226

I post a summary of the new releases every 2 weeks!

Plus, it was mentioned here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20345&p=1000511

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I couldn't find a better one. Did you know Silvestri wrote a lengthy ue for 'Volcano' that hasn't been used in the picture? Here is the clip with the music:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3tcMIozl4UHZGpZRzRvUTNMSDQ/view?usp=sharing

Great clip. Never seen the film, but can't imagine why they deleted the music there, it's well-scored.

On another note, there's a fundraising campaign for a recording by Dirk Brossé of Silvestri highlights here. Maybe this may give us a chance to have some input on what they record - you never know if they may actually listen?

Is there anything noteworthy to record? I'm thinking in terms of:

- unreleased concert versions or concert suites?

- are some of his synth scores worth asking an orchestral rendition from?

- unreleased highlights from some of his scores?

more specifically:

- unreleased music from Forrest Gump maybe? (which had a very short score album)

- or from Mouse Hunt or The Quick and the Dead?

- maybe another new recording of Back to the Future: The Ride, or the original extended "Western Union" cue from BTTF Part II? (see the Varese album)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sounds like a really fun score, no doubt with some classic Silvestri heart-warming moments. Looks like the film is going to have some lighter enjoyable moments judging by his obvious french and spy pieces. Looking forward to the film and Silvestri is presenting a suite from the Walk to be performed at the World Soundtrack Awards next month, and happily I'll be there to hear it and meet him hopefully.